View Full Version : [kubuntu] User /home and public_html

April 24th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Greetings. I am trying to figure out the best way to protect users from other users while allowing public_html access.

I have /home owned by the admin and group set to "users" where each user is a member of "users" and so is "www-data".

Each of the users /home/username is owned by user and group is set to user.
Each of the users /home/username/public_html is owned by user and group is public_html.

I am not sure if this is good or not. Can someone please tell me what is best/safest so my users cannot mess with each others stuff, but the public_html folders work as intended.

Dr Small
April 24th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Hrm, let's see here.

Users Home Folders should be set to rwx-rwx- ( 770 ) and owned by user:user
The public_html directory should probably be set to rwx-r-x- ( 750 ) and owned by user:www-data

That would prevent others who do not own the directory, and are not in the group to read, write or execute files, and on the pubilc_html directory, the group www-data would be able to read and execute.

Dr Small

April 24th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Currenlty I have

/home is chown admin:users chmod 740
drwxr-x--- 29 admin users 4096 2008-04-21 09:02 home

/home/username is chown username:username chmod 770
drwxrwx--- 33 username username 4096 2008-04-24 10:55 username

/home/username/public_html chown username:www-data chmod 740 (r-x)
drwxr-x--- 7 username www-data 4096 2008-04-24 10:02 public_html

www-data is a member of the "users" group.

I cannot web to www.server.com/~user , getting 403 Forbidden error.

I am thinking it must be something with /home itself. Doe the web server need read access to /home ? What am I missing?

Thank again,

Dr Small
April 24th, 2008, 07:39 PM
The public_html directory needs Executable Permissions for the group.

740 (rwx-r----)
750 (rwx-r-x--)

April 24th, 2008, 08:49 PM
My bad, I have it set to that, just used the wrong numbers. Still does not work.

drwxr-x--- 7 username www-data 4096 2008-04-24 10:02 public_html

Dr Small
April 24th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Is there any files in this directory, that may perhaps have the wrong permission, like an index file?

April 24th, 2008, 10:25 PM
You also need to set /home/user to have www-data (or users as you put www-data in that group) as it's group, and grant it execute permission (on directories means access to subdirectories and files). Otherwise the web server won't have access to any in that user's directory.

sudo chmod 710 /home/user
sudo chgrp www-data /home/user

April 25th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks again. Sorry to report, no change.

On the server, I su www-data and was able to

cd /home/user/public_html
more index.html

just fine, but still get 403 error from browser. Very strange.

I checked to see if apache2 was configured to allow userdir's and it is.

I just tried a test. I have a user called test. Here is what I did...

sudo su
chmod o+r /home
chmod -R 777 /home/test // figured this *should* allow to www

Still cannot view ~test/index.html in web browser

April 25th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Do you get any error messages in the Apache error log? Error messages are logged to /var/log/apache2/error.log

April 25th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the help. Got it fixed.

April 25th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the help. Got it fixed.

Would you mind writing what you did to solve the problem? Because there's probably other people who have this problem ;)

April 25th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I would, but I am not sure what I did that corrected it. It seems that there was a power failure on Monday night that caused some weird behavior.

Basically, I went through and set the /home & /home/user & /home/user/public_html to have enough privs for www-data to be able to read. I must have phat fingered some of the suggestions previously and it did not do what I was expecting.

December 28th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I had the same problem; installed apache, enabled userdir mod, created public_html with permissions to access and execute by others and was getting 403 error.

I solved it by adding my user to www-data group and then setting www-data as my home folder group with files access and execute permissions.

Not sure if that's the way to do it but it worked for me.