PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardy on ReiserFS

billgoldberg
April 24th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Yesterday I read a post on planet ubuntu and the conclusion was that reiserfs was a very fast file system.

Would it be advised to install hardy on reiserfs?

Would would be the negative aspects on using reiserfs instead of ext3?

Michael.Godawski
April 24th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I do not have an exact answer to your question but from a quick look at the different file systems, there is much reading before I say something on this topic :)

http://wiki.novell.com/index.php/Linux_Data_Management
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems

billgoldberg
April 24th, 2008, 12:56 PM
That's a lot of reading.

I would also like some feedback of people that used the FS on gutsy or another ubuntu distro.

Are there any problems ubuntu has with reiserfs?

PmDematagoda
April 24th, 2008, 01:05 PM
That's a lot of reading.

I would also like some feedback of people that used the FS on gutsy or another ubuntu distro.

Are there any problems ubuntu has with reiserfs?

I've used Hardy on ReiserFS since Alpha1 and it was(and still is) reliable and is also rather fast.

dada1958
April 24th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I use reiserfs since Ubuntu 5.10.

billgoldberg
April 24th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Thanks, I'll use reiserfs than instead of ext3.

twright
April 24th, 2008, 02:14 PM
xfs is also fast

milosz.galazka
April 24th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I use xfs too but I think that I will not feel any difference between xfs or reiserfs on home computer.

kellemes
April 24th, 2008, 08:02 PM
A common difference you may notice is that it's takes more time to mount a ReiserFS formatted disk.
At least that's what I notice.

Zill
April 24th, 2008, 08:35 PM
When I started using Mandrake Linux I used ext3. However, after a few power outages, immediately followed by my futile attempts to repair my broken file system, I changed over to reiserfs. I continued with reiserfs when I moved over to Ubuntu with Breezy.

Several years and power outages later, reiserfs has performed faultlessly on all our three PCs :-)

ps. I never did quite figure out what I was supposed to do with ext3 "lost+found" data - fortunately reiserfs does not have this peculiar directory!