PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lost USB drivers?

sevenape
April 24th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Hi I recently converted to ubuntu and have been playing around (more fool me) with hardy heron, It was the case that my computer would talk to various things via usb like my mp3 player, psp, external hard drive etc but now it seems it won't recognise anything I plug in to the USB except for my mouse. I was thinking maybe it happened with the recent update session I had yesterday. Does anyone know why this is, or more importantly how I can get my devices on speaking terms again?

Thanks very much in advance

sevenape
April 24th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I ran lsusb and the computer isn't detecting anything except my logitech mouse :(

Tatty
April 24th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Is there anything you did that may have triggered this?

sevenape
April 24th, 2008, 08:53 AM
umm very possibly... I've been installing and uninstalling games recently..

but that's it really... I haven't been messing around with anything hardcore... I did unplug my camera without dismounting it the other day by mistake :/

Tatty
April 24th, 2008, 08:59 AM
So when you run lsusb, do the things you plug in simply not show up? It could be a hardware problem. Try booting to a live CD and see if that can detect your devices when you plug them in.

sevenape
April 24th, 2008, 09:04 AM
this is what it reads:

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:c018 Logitech, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

will try using live cd see what happens

sevenape
April 24th, 2008, 09:49 AM
No dice... same results with live cd

guess this means a new computer right? It's a 3 year old laptop (almost to the day) So I imagine it's got it's fair share of issues

Tatty
April 24th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Im not totally sure what to suggest.
I assumed it was a desktop so i was going to suggest opening it up and seeing if something has got disconnected, but clearly thats not the case with a laptop.

The only thing i can think of is checking out the bios to see if there might be some silly thing gone wrong in there. Aside from that im afraid i dont know what else to try... other than maybe a different distro to see if its hardy specific... :(

sevenape
April 24th, 2008, 09:58 AM
do you think I might have done something fiddling around in the synaptic manager? I'll try a complete reinstall at the weekend and see what happens. My live CD is gutsy so I dunno if it will help :D

Thanks for helping out anyways :) I'm not at all sure about BIOS tbh!

Thing is under windows sometimes the usb ports wouldn't work when a disc failed to burn and I had to restart to get it working again. I did burn a cd yesterday but it went ok and I assumed that problem would be windows specific... Prhaps not!

Tatty
April 24th, 2008, 10:05 AM
do you still have windows installed on the machine? see if it happens in that.

sevenape
April 24th, 2008, 10:11 AM
nope i got rid of it for better or worse... maybe worse hehe!

i'll try getting a usb hub if the reinstall doesn't work!

sevenape
April 24th, 2008, 10:17 AM
so... the live cd didn't work, I turned off the comp and turned it on with my external hard drive plugged in and turned on by mistake... now everything works!!! very odd!!!

Tatty
April 24th, 2008, 10:24 AM
well, at least thats a result! :)

sevenape
April 24th, 2008, 10:39 AM
:D yeah it definitely is of sorts!

Thanks for helping out!