PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Play DVD from my hard drive

jbrown96
April 24th, 2008, 05:24 AM
I copied a DVD straight from the disc to my hard drive, and I can't figure out how to play it. I tried to play a folder in VLC; it showed some errors but eventually started playing but it was all out of sequence - like it was skipping chapters.
Is there a way to play it as-is? or convert it to .avi or some other type so it's a single file?

Thanks

nicedude
April 24th, 2008, 05:33 AM
I am not sure with it unzipped in a folder but VLC will play an ISO image of a disk. I did it yesterday with a "loose change" DVD ISO in XP and assume it would also work in linux VLC the same. Also your VLC should play individual VOB files which are the video from the DVD but you wont have menus and it will be in 4 or 5 parts. Also are you sure you have all the libraries for proper DVD playback?

mgranet
April 24th, 2008, 05:35 AM
You can rip the DVD to an ISO image, then play that image with Kaffeine. Not sure if any of the other media players support playback from ISO.

Edit: I haz slow fingers

oni5115
April 24th, 2008, 06:20 AM
You might be able to also use Gmount-iso, it is sort of like Daemon Tools was for windows. Can download it from the repositories as well.