PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Please Help ME!!! GRUB error 22! :(

ALex!
April 24th, 2008, 04:42 AM
I'm a Linux newbie! I have used Windows all my life...

Well all this started when looking to a friend's blog... he said ubuntu was my best bet... i installed it in my desktop computer and the first issue i had: Ubuntu vanished my windows vista os!!! :( ok ok no big deal... it was my fault! (I accidentally chose that option :???: )

2 days ago, while experimenting, i installed Ubuntu in the same computer BUT in another partition... (NO Reinstallation!) so... i had my two OSes (both were ubuntu) and one was of 73 gb and the other was of 55...

I installed gparted in one of the ubuntu OSes and deleted the partions of the other Ubuntu OS so that i could only have ONE OS... When i rebooted my computer, a Grub error 22 appears and the booting fails!!!! Now I just can't boot my computer, it's useless!!! :(

I've even tried to reinstall Ubuntu via Live CD but it doesn't boot at all... again the same error..... (does it have anything to do that i have another iso file in the same Live CD??)

PLEASE HELP!!!!! :cry:

spiderbatdad
April 24th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Maybe some ramfs stuck. Disconnect all power and remove internal battery for a short while. You may need to move a jumper pin for a few seconds to clear cmos...check motherboard info in owners manual.
Simply removing the battery for a few minutes should do it...

ALex!
April 24th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Maybe some ramfs stuck. Disconnect all power and remove internal battery for a short while. You may need to move a jumper pin for a few seconds to clear cmos...check motherboard info in owners manual.

excuse me... but could you please simplify this for me? I'm sorry but i don't understand very well :( i'm new to this!

nicedude
April 24th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Something tells me the Ubuntu partition you deleted was the one you installed first and now you still have the one you installed second. Well hate to tell you this one is your fault too since Grub ( the boot loader ) keeps files in the /boot/grub/ folder of the partition you first installed linux on with it. so you wiped that out more than likely. It is fixable by reinstalling Grub and while I am not the best to tell you how, someone will chime in and answer that for you I am sure.

Just be careful in the future, but I do the same kind of stuff allot :-)

Can+~
April 24th, 2008, 04:57 AM
To force boot from the LiveCD, usually, most PCs have a certain key to access a boot menu, it's usually F8.

After the logo of your computer (or check, or whatever it does when turning on), try hitting F8.

ALex!
April 24th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Something tells me the Ubuntu partition you deleted was the one you installed first and now you still have the one you installed second. Well hate to tell you this one is your fault too since Grub ( the boot loader ) keeps files in the /boot/grub/ folder of the partition you first installed linux on with it. so you wiped that out more than likely. It is fixable by reinstalling Grub and while I am not the best to tell you how, someone will chime in and answer that for you I am sure.

Just be careful in the future, but I do the same kind of stuff allot :-)

ooh! thanks! :) but one thing i'm sure of is that i deleted my 2nd ubuntu os because i remember the fist one had the 55 gb! And with the gparted i deleted the 73 gb partition :???:
what can i do now?! :cry:

sam_delta
April 24th, 2008, 04:59 AM
restore your grub loader, just follow these steps
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351

sam

ALex!
April 24th, 2008, 05:01 AM
there is still the message of:

GRUB Loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading...

Error 22
_

sam_delta
April 24th, 2008, 05:05 AM
there is still the message of:

GRUB Loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading...

Error 22
_

even after restoring grub by following the above link instructions?

OmahaVike
April 24th, 2008, 05:07 AM
hi alex.

take a deep breath. this has happened to me numerous times, and i've recovered through a little bit of work.

sam_delta pointed you to a great review of how to get back on track.

ALex!
April 24th, 2008, 05:08 AM

I can't even boot on the Live CD! even with the F8 option! :(

ALex!
April 24th, 2008, 05:09 AM

I can't even boot on the Live CD! even using the F8 option.... :(

ALex!
April 24th, 2008, 05:12 AM
My Live CD has another iso file, not only Ubuntu.iso .... Does this have anything to do?

sam_delta
April 24th, 2008, 05:13 AM
have you booted before from a live cd?? if not, it might be possible that your boot order tries to boot from the hard drive before trying to boot from the cd, try to get into the computer bios and change the boot order and put the CD as first

if you already booted from the CD before, and havnt changed anything under the computer then the bios should be set to boot from the cd.

the live cd has nothing to do with Grub boot loader, it should be able to boot even without GRUB,

if you still cant boot to a live cd
mayb try what spiderbatdad sayd on post # 2?

sam_delta
April 24th, 2008, 05:14 AM
double post sry

sam_delta
April 24th, 2008, 05:15 AM
My Live CD has another iso file, not only Ubuntu.iso .... Does this have anything to do?

yeah of course, try re-burning the iso, just ubuntu one!!

Can+~
April 24th, 2008, 05:18 AM
I can't even boot on the Live CD! even using the F8 option.... :(

Try other keys, my brother's laptop uses F9 I think.

You're on a desktop, who is the MoBo Manufacturer?

ALex!
April 24th, 2008, 05:19 AM
I installed my Ubuntu OS via a Live CD.... But now, it just doesn't boot! :???: so... could the other iso file be the cause of boot fail? thank yo saaaam!!! :)

ALex!
April 24th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Try other keys, my brother's laptop uses F9 I think.

You're on a desktop, who is the MoBo Manufacturer?

Mine is a Desktop HP Pavilion... it uses the F10 key! :???: but i don't know how to use this config option... I think that if i change boot ---> first boot----> DVD it will work... but i don't know! What if i screw it all again?! :(

sam_delta
April 24th, 2008, 05:24 AM
yeah, iso images are ment to be burned 1 per disk, specially on booteable CDS such as the live cds

for instructions on how to burn a iso image
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BurningIsoHowto

sam

ALex!
April 24th, 2008, 05:28 AM
OMG! GUYS! thank you very much for your support!! (specialy you sam!!!! :)) I'll try this again as soon as i get a virgin cd!! :???: haha!!! thank yo sooo much! I hope this works.. :(

Can+~
April 24th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Mine is a Desktop HP Pavilion... it uses the F10 key! :???: but i don't know how to use this config option... I think that if i change boot ---> first boot----> DVD it will work... but i don't know! What if i screw it all again?! :(

Run it, you can't screw it up more ;D.

*edited out: it was for bios, damn*

sam_delta
April 24th, 2008, 05:32 AM
no problem , let us know how it goes

well be here to help if something goes wrong

sam

ALex!
April 24th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Run it, you can't screw it up more ;D.

*edited out: it was for bios, damn*

hahahaha :mrgreen: thanks!!! uh!!! :)

Can+~
April 24th, 2008, 05:38 AM
hahahaha :mrgreen: thanks!!! uh!!! :)

I once reinstalled grub and overwrote the first sector of my windows partition, screwed some other partitions too in the process.

But to make an omelet, you have to break some eggs. Although, I should've backed-up those eggs.. damn.

ALex!
April 24th, 2008, 05:38 AM
no problem , let us know how it goes

well be here to help if something goes wrong

sam

oh!!! thanks to your last link (and of course to you!) I've realized Ubuntu mis-burned (does that exist? :???: ) my iso file because there are no folders, but the iso! I've also realized, ubuntu doesn't support DVD-RW :mad:!!

ALex!
April 24th, 2008, 05:42 AM
But to make an omelet, you have to break some eggs. Although, I should've baked-up those eggs.. damn.

Nice quote! :wink: haha!!! I have only a doubt.... What would be the easiest process for uninstalling Gutsy in a partition, for then upgrading it to hardy?! That's because I have a dual boot in my lap! (nothing went wrong on this one) and i would like to screw vista in this one too... :???:

sam_delta
April 24th, 2008, 05:46 AM
burn ubuntu hardy cd, insert it, boot into live, click install and when prompt about partitions, choose, "use entire disk", or something similar

ALex!
April 24th, 2008, 05:49 AM
burn ubuntu hardy cd, insert it, boot into live, click install and when prompt about partitions, choose, "use entire disk", or something similar

but... isn't this option going to overwrite my WHOLE HDD?? or just a desired partition?

sam_delta
April 24th, 2008, 05:55 AM
but... isn't this option going to overwrite my WHOLE HDD?? or just a desired partition?

oo sry about that, i thought you wanted to get rid of vista since you sayd
"and i would like to screw vista in this one too... "
, if you do not want to get rid of vista, you can simply boot into gutsy and click update once hardy is released, and ull get hardy

ALex!
April 24th, 2008, 06:00 AM
oo sry about that, i thought you wanted to get rid of vista since you sayd
"and i would like to screw vista in this one too... "
, if you do not want to get rid of vista, you can simply boot into gutsy and click update once hardy is released, and ull get hardy

ah! haha sorry, my fault... so that means i won't have to wait 3 hours for my OS to download?! :) or worse... wait 4 weeks 'til it arrives home :???:

sam_delta
April 24th, 2008, 06:01 AM
once hardy is released, you can type Alt+f2 and type the following command

update-manager --devel-release

and ull get a window telling you that theres a new version available bla bla bal, just follow the steps and there you go, ur gutsy will not be hardy

heres the official link https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardyUpgrades#head-378718bf27e85b8e05c7a5966125eb194b5f26bb

you can actually update now into the release candidate, but id recomend to wait until the final release

starcannon
April 24th, 2008, 06:02 AM
take a little extra time and learn to do manual partitioning so that you can create /home on its own partition, makes experimenting much less painful.

Just my 2bits on the subject.
Have fun,
Starcannon

sam_delta
April 24th, 2008, 06:04 AM
ah! haha sorry, my fault... so that means i won't have to wait 3 hours for my OS to download?! :) or worse... wait 4 weeks 'til it arrives home :???:

updates may take a while, not as much as downloading the whole OS,, but itll take a while, specially just after the release since everyone will be updating, so you may want to wait few days to update.

sam