PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] emachine to boot to CD-ROM

SVWander
April 24th, 2008, 04:34 AM
I am trying to install Ubuntu on an emachine and cannot get the BIOS to boot to the CD-ROM. Does anyone know how I can get it to boot. Right now it has Windows 2000 on it and I cannot figure out how to get the system info from it.

spiderbatdad
April 24th, 2008, 04:37 AM
If i remember correctly spamming the delete key of an emachine will bring up the bios...must be done as machine is starting. Also the f12 key at start up should bring up boot options.

SVWander
April 24th, 2008, 04:56 AM
If i remember correctly spamming the delete key of an emachine will bring up the bios...must be done as machine is starting. Also the f12 key at start up should bring up boot options.

I tried that and have gotten into the Phoenix BIOS, gone to the boot section and used first boot hard drive second the cd-rom but when I place the install disk in the cd-rom it still boots to C:\ I tried to have the first as the cd-rom and still it boots to C:\

nicedude
April 24th, 2008, 04:57 AM
You want first boot set to CDROM then second to HARDDISK

nicedude
April 24th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Also you might want to see in the BIOS what version the bios are and then go to Emachines and see if you have the newest in case its a bug with the bios that they have already fixed. Also when you tried CD first boot HDD second - are you sure you went to the correct bios menu and saved the changes?

SVWander
April 24th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Also you might want to see in the BIOS what version the bios are and then go to Emachines and see if you have the newest in case its a bug with the bios that they have already fixed. Also when you tried CD first boot HDD second - are you sure you went to the correct bios menu and saved the changes?

Thanks! That worked.

baronobeefdip
February 20th, 2010, 07:18 PM
will the boot menu that comes up when tapping on the f12 key show up a menu that asks where you want to boot from

like a dell when you do the same thing