PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardy freezes/hickups constantly

mega
April 24th, 2008, 02:17 AM
anyone else having constant freeze/lockup/hickups that stop the system for a second every once and a while?

mega
April 24th, 2008, 09:57 PM
still having random freezes, they usually last 1-2 seconds

sports fan Matt
April 24th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Not anything out of the ordinary..What freezes/lockups/hiccups? Programs or file managers..?

mega
April 24th, 2008, 10:00 PM
everything I think, I'll be typing away in gedit and everything stops

forkd
April 24th, 2008, 10:31 PM
try running top in a terminal or through ssh and see what is dominating you. It could be a number of things at thispoint

MusicMastaMike
April 25th, 2008, 05:33 PM
yeah, i'm getting a ton of freezes... today, pidgin locks up instantly on startup and i have to kill it, and then it will freeze up again on any subsequent starting. sometimes firefox hiccups a lot. haven't really had many problems other than with these 2.

mega
April 27th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I've still not found what's doing it

but I think it's related to this bug

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/188226

MusicMastaMike
April 30th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Well, my freezes have stopped. I was having serious issues with pidgin, so I completely purged the installation (sudo apt-get purge pidgin*) and reinstalled. No more pidgin or firefox freezes, so I'm happy. Maybe this will help some of you...

El King
April 30th, 2008, 03:53 PM
there is many alterntaives to pidgin
1- emesene
2- aMsn
3- KMess

MusicMastaMike
April 30th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the recommendations. Pidgin has always been fine for me and is working perfectly now, so I'll just stick with that, mainly because I need multi-protocol support (especially AIM).

mega
May 6th, 2008, 01:31 PM
still having freezes, I'm hoping we see that bug fix show up soon

MusicMastaMike
May 6th, 2008, 02:14 PM
i haven't had a single freeze since my pidgin fresh install. maybe it's just a coincidence (i was playing around with a lot of different music players at the time before going back to amarok)...

ruetheday
May 6th, 2008, 05:27 PM
I am having the freeze happen to me. esp in firefox, and with flash. However, system windows are freezing too.

it has gotten wors with this mornings update. there was an update yewsterday. i am using a fairly un-customized version, so i think everyone will be needing an update. also, non of the default players of music or video will play. it started on the first install, video would not full screen, it would force the player to quit. opening the video program, and resizing the window before play was the onlyway to get anything to play. Now, nothing works.