PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] wireless icon

krsgypsy
April 24th, 2008, 01:58 AM
hi, i was trying to move the wireless icon in the right-hand side of the top panel but instead of selecting the "move" option", i accidentally selected "remove from panel". i believe it is called the network manager applet? how do i get it back?

i tried typing "nm-applet --sm-disable" in the terminal but nothing appears to be happening.

i also tried going to places>computer>filesystem>usr>bin and double clicking on nm-applet. nothing seems to be happening.

now, i am able to get online using my wireless connection but i do not have the icon in the top right corner. what should i do? i am running gibbon, if that means anything.

- thanx

(10 minutes later...)

ok, something else to add. i use amarok and normally there is an amarok icon next to where the wireless icon normally would be. i just turned on amarok and guess what...no icon. what is going on here?

Kralizec
April 24th, 2008, 02:51 AM
Maybe you accidentally removed your system tray applet, not your network manager applet. That would explain the missing amarok icon. Try right-clicking on the panel and adding the system tray applet to your panel.

krsgypsy
April 24th, 2008, 03:25 AM
hahaha, you are my new best friend. i hate being new to linux because the answer seemed so easy but i sat here for hours struggling to figure it out. oh well, i've learned a little more as i always do each time i post here. thanks a million. - kirt