PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardy Release Time

seag33k
April 23rd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question, but I am wondering what time Hardy will be released? Would love to download the iso tonight if possible and install it tomorrow :)

Pumalite
April 23rd, 2008, 10:26 PM
Go ahead. The servers will be less busy.

coloured
April 23rd, 2008, 11:10 PM
Just a quick question, am I able to upgrade to 8.04?
or is it still in the RC stage?

I have done:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

and nothing.

cheers

Pumalite
April 23rd, 2008, 11:19 PM
Better to do a clean install.

coloured
April 23rd, 2008, 11:56 PM
you really think so?
I have been running ubuntu for a while and have a lot of things setup, I upgraded to gutsy from a previous version, and didnt encounter any issues.
I have been running gutsy since the release, I use this computer primarily as my work pc, so it has a lot of stuff configured. vmware, pptp vpn's (credentials included) email etc.

btw, has the final release of 8.04 been released? or is it still the testing version?

cheers

EXCiD3
April 24th, 2008, 02:19 AM
btw, has the final release of 8.04 been released? or is it still the testing version?

The final release is not out until tomorrow sometime. The testing version (release candidate) is the closest to the final release that is available currrently.

Joeb454
April 24th, 2008, 02:25 AM
I'm running the final version :)

If you have an up-to-date Hardy installation, you are actually running the final release. The packages etc. were locked down some time on Wednesday afternoon (GMT)

mgmiller
April 25th, 2008, 01:13 AM
I did a clean install from a 19-April daily build of the release candidate on 22-April. Right after install, it saw 94 updates. I installed them and left the machine till today. I expected there to be more stuff to get it up to final, but there were only 2 updates. Apparently, it upgraded itself to final on 22 April. Runs great.
This was on a work station at my office, where it dual boots with XP.

On my main machine at home, well, look at my signature line. I will soon be adding >8.04 to the end of the list. I have had no problems with the last 2 upgrades. The first few were "interesting" and forced me to learn a bit.

I would say if you have a good working install of Gutsy and don't have many 3rd party repos, especially for your video drivers, it will probably just upgrade with little to no drama.