PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which is more damaging?

GBC79
April 23rd, 2008, 08:59 PM
I'm curious, what do you think does more damage to a laptop in the longterm, shutting down and booting 3-5times a day, or just leaving it running 24/7??

I know servers can do this, but how bad is this for laptops?

lswest
April 23rd, 2008, 09:04 PM
24/7 for laptops isn't bad if they have good cooling systems, or are in a cool area, wear and tear on a hard drive is about the same, but high temperatures are bad. I know a friend of mine runs a laptop as a server, so it's no problem running it 24/7, just be careful it doesn't get too hot, that it isn't going to get wet, and that the hard drive stays cool, and it's on a level table.

Personally, my laptop is only ever off at night, during the day it's either in standby or in use.

GBC79
April 23rd, 2008, 09:06 PM
Hey LSWEST, how do you keep a laptop cool besides room temp? I'm used to cooling fans in desktops, but not sure just how much you can do for a laptop?

metalf8801
April 23rd, 2008, 09:08 PM
You will save money by turning it off. Its a lot more expensive to leave it on all the time. Leaving your computer on for 3 minuets uses the same amount of energy that it takes to turn it on.

lswest
April 23rd, 2008, 09:11 PM
well, make sure you keep the laptop's fan ports clean, keep it off the table (e.g. put a wooden block or two underneath to raise it off the table, so that the fan ports are all open to the air), keep it in a cool room/closet, put a fan next to it, creating a moving airflow around the laptop, and that's about all i can think of. Also, remove the battery if you're going to leave it on 24/7 to an AC adapter, it reduces heat, and it saves your battery's life :P

But yeah, i agree with the above poster, turn it off if you can, save energy ;)

aysiu
April 23rd, 2008, 09:13 PM
What does "leave it on" mean?

Are you leaving it on and fully operational?

Or are you putting it to sleep (suspend to RAM) and counting that as "on"?

If it's on all the time, I'd say it's going to be more damaged, as the heat the laptop generates over time will not be good for the battery and the computer in general. If, however, you are putting the laptop to sleep when it's not in use, I'd say that's better than shutting it down all the time.

metalf8801
April 23rd, 2008, 10:51 PM
when your laptop is on and plug in you should remove the battery this will decrease the changes of have the battery explode

you really should only charge the battery when your laptop is off this will help keep the laptop from getting to hot

of course pop the battery back in if your about to unplug the laptop with out turning it off

Lord Xeb
April 24th, 2008, 03:38 AM
My mom once left her MacBook on and it destroyed it

Sportdeck
April 24th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Hey LSWEST, how do you keep a laptop cool besides room temp? I'm used to cooling fans in desktops, but not sure just how much you can do for a laptop?
I used to use my laptop "on my lap" occasionally (what a concept) and noticed that it got very hot. I bought a Targus LapCool which has 2 powered fans powered buy a USB plug. It was noticably cooler to the touch. The usb power cord has shorted out, but I still use the LapCool as a spacer to allow better airflow even if I'm using the laptop on a hard surface.