PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Wine doesn't work for main user

GregMB
April 23rd, 2008, 06:26 PM
Hello. I am very new to Wine, and I am hoping someone can help me with a problem I haven't been able to fix. When I run Wine on my account on my computer, it freezes my computer and I have to manually reboot (A.K.A. hit the power switch). I googled for some info, and found that one user could use Wine on any account other than his main account. I figured it would be worth a shot to see if I had the same problem. It turns out, yes, I did. I read more about the problem, and someone suggested deleting the ~/.wine folder. It seemed to have worked for other people, so I tried it. Oddly enough, unlike my other account on my computer, I didn't /have/ a ~/.wine folder to begin with. I had three different folders, all in some kind of code, like .wine-eymZNx (that's the actual name of one of them). So I deleted all three, and tried Wine again. Close, but no cigar. My computer froze again. When I rebooted, a new wine folder (the one I mentioned above) appeared in the other three's place. I'm thinking of just copy and pasting the Wine folder from one of the other users on my computer that work fine, but before I did I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions. If you have any tips/ideas/opinions/reasons why if I were to go ahead as planned the whole universe would explode/etc please post them. I've included a screenshot of the ghost Wine folder.

cogadh
April 23rd, 2008, 06:36 PM
When you say you were trying to run Wine, are you running "winecfg" before you try to run any applications? Those odd .wine-blAH directories are failed attempts by Wine to create a fake Windows directory, which often happens if you jump right into running an application before running winecfg to configure the .wine directory.

GregMB
April 23rd, 2008, 06:38 PM
winecfg freezes my computer too. Anything at all including Wine freezes my computer, with no error messages, or anything, on my main account at least.

GregMB
April 24th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Any ideas? I tried Copy and Pasting a working Wine folder, but it didn't work.

chanhdat
April 26th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Which version do you use now? If 0.9.60. Try an older version, maybe, the latest got some bugs ,
Read more here:
http://wiki.winehq.org/PreloaderPageZeroProblem
It solved my problem.

GregMB
May 11th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Which version do you use now? If 0.9.60. Try an older version, maybe, the latest got some bugs.

How would I go about doing that? There's only one wine package listed in Synaptic (minus wine-dev, of course). Also, if it helps, it seems like the problem with wine is just creating the .wine folder.

GregMB
May 11th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Also, the user I create just so I could use Wine, now can't use Wine! Oh, the bad luck of it all.

cogadh
May 11th, 2008, 02:15 AM
How would I go about doing that? There's only one wine package listed in Synaptic (minus wine-dev, of course). Also, if it helps, it seems like the problem with wine is just creating the .wine folder.
http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb

GregMB
May 11th, 2008, 02:29 AM
http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb

Thanks, I'll try that now. Two questions first: One, I assume I should remove the version of wine I have now, right? Two, is there an particular version I should install?

cogadh
May 11th, 2008, 02:35 AM
No, you don't actually need to remove the existing Wine package, but considering the problems you have had, you might want to try that:

sudo apt-get remove --purge wine
After you follow the instructions on the Wine download page, Synaptic will automatically show the latest version only (1.0-RC1). Just install that one.

GregMB
May 11th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Hmm... I used the command you said to, and follwed the wine instructions (changing "hardy" to "gutsy"), and reloaded synaptic, but it doesn't show 1.0 Release Candidate. I'm pretty sure it shows the same version I already had installed.

cogadh
May 11th, 2008, 03:15 AM
Ah, didn't realize that you were using Gutsy (if you mentioned that in a previous post, I must have missed it, sorry). If that is the case, then the most recent Wine package you can get is 0.9.59. In order to get the actual current version, you will have to compile it yourself.

GregMB
May 11th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Ah, didn't realize that you were using Gutsy (if you mentioned that in a previous post, I must have missed it, sorry). If that is the case, then the most recent Wine package you can get is 0.9.59. In order to get the actual current version, you will have to compile it yourself.

I thought I said that I was using Gutsy, but looking back on my posts, I realize I didn't. Anyways, I am a total Ubuntu and Linux newbie, but I am a fast learner. How would I compile the program?

cogadh
May 11th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Well, the process is relatively simple:

Download the source code from the WineHQ website
Install the build-essential packages and all of Wine's dependencies. There's is a handy script that will do that for you. To get it and use it, just do this:

wget http://kegel.com/wine/gutsy.sh
chmod +x gutsy.sh
sudo ./gutsy.sh
Extract the source code then read the included readme for the configure and compile steps. Wine does come with an automated configure/make/install script, but I don't believe it actually works right with Ubuntu (installs stuff in odd places, really hard to remove if you have problems). I've always run the configure and make steps manually then, instead of using the standard install step, I use CheckInstall (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CheckInstall) and create a rough .deb package that I can easily remove if there are problems.

That's really it. However, just for the sake of full disclosure, I've now run this process 4 times and each time I've ended up with a partially non-functional Wine 1.0-rc1. I can launch winecfg and installations, but once any sound is produced by the program (including testing sound in winecfg), Wine locks up completely. I'm not sure if it is a problem with the process I am using (which has worked many times in the past) or a problem with Wine itself.

GregMB
May 11th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Well, the process is relatively simple:

Download the source code from the WineHQ website
Install the build-essential packages and all of Wine's dependencies. There's is a handy script that will do that for you. To get it and use it, just do this:

wget http://kegel.com/wine/gutsy.sh
chmod +x gutsy.sh
sudo ./gutsy.sh
Extract the source code then read the included readme for the configure and compile steps. Wine does come with an automated configure/make/install script, but I don't believe it actually works right with Ubuntu (installs stuff in odd places, really hard to remove if you have problems). I've always run the configure and make steps manually then instead of using the standard install step, I use CheckInstall (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CheckInstall) and create a rough .deb package that I can easily remove if there are problems.

That's really it. However, just for the sake of full disclosure, I've now run this process 4 times and each time I've ended up with a partially non-functional Wine 1.0-rc1. I can launch winecfg and installations, but once any sound is produced by the program (including testing sound in winecfg), Wine locks up completely. I'm not sure if it is a problem with the process I am using (which has worked many times in the past) or a problem with Wine itself.

Well, I'll try that, and I hope it works, but I have my doubts (even though you probably know way more about wine than I do). EDIT: Also, when you say Wine locks up, do you have to reboot, or just close the program?

GregMB
May 11th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Hmm... I'm looking around the wineHQ, but I can't seem to find the source code. Where exactly is it?

cogadh
May 11th, 2008, 09:33 PM
http://www.winehq.org/?announce=latest
The second and third links on that page are both for the source code tar ball. As for the lockup issue, it is not a system lock, just a Wine lockup.

GregMB
May 11th, 2008, 09:36 PM
http://www.winehq.org/?announce=latest
The second and third links on that page are both for the source code tar ball. As for the lockup issue, it is not a system lock, just a Wine lockup.

That's good to hear. So many things freeze Ubuntu, it's really a pain. But even with that, it's ten times better than Windows. Anyways, I'm downloading the source code now, I really hope this works!

GregMB
May 11th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Well, this stinks. I'm having some problems with Synaptic's repository thing, so I can't download the required packages just yet. Well, I'll try soon.

GregMB
June 26th, 2008, 05:14 PM
YES! I uninstalled wine from synaptic, then installed wine 1.0 from wineHQ, and although it froze my computer when I first ran winecfg, after I rebooted, it works fine! Now, all I need to do is test it. Are there any good apps that work well under wine, just to make sure it works?

EDIT: I tried it with the Notepad that comes included with wine, and it works fine. I am so glad this works, as there are a few Windows programs that I can't find Linux alternatives to.