PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] " 'gdm' does not exist "

CyberDean
April 23rd, 2008, 02:33 PM
I added a quest user last evening to my Ubuntu 7.10 laptop. Immediately after I was unable to boot up to the login screen. Instead I get the following message.

The GDM user 'gdm' does not exist. Please correct GDM configuation and restart GDM.

Ok, I believe I have figured out what it is, but being a Linux user for 3 months I have no idea how to correct it. And with the new "Forum" configuation I do not know how to search the forum for assistance.

Somehow, some way, in my adding a new user, something happened to the gdm user. In a terminal window I checked users and only my user name shows up.

Now what? I have a remastered CD of my laptop software as of last month, will that help?

phidia
April 23rd, 2008, 02:52 PM
How did you add the "Guest user"? To create an alternate account on your install one usually does sudo adduser in a shell/terminal. Doing it that will will create all the files needed and ask you for a password and other user info.

Also if the only user shown is you then the attempt to add another account didn't work.
For your specific problem see the thread here (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/debian-26/gdm-fails-to-start-on-boot-618057/?highlight=The+GDM+user+%27gdm%27+does+-exist.+Please+correct+GDM+configuation+restart+GDM .)
The linuxquestions.org site is a good alternative place to look particularly while the ubuntu forum is reconfiguring this week.

CyberDean
April 23rd, 2008, 03:41 PM
I found a GUI under Admin, I believe it was called "User Management". In the GUI it asked for new user name and password, I let the other options go to default. After saving and the GUI disappeared I attempted to test it by logging out and rebooting, and that is when I got the error.

I will look into the link you gave me, Thanks.

CyberDean
April 23rd, 2008, 06:23 PM
For phidia,

Went to the link suggested and tried the only thing I could find, to reconfigure gdm, and here is what I got:

XXXX is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported. ~$ exim: failed to find uid for user name "Debian-exim"

I have no idea what the error means and I am currently the only user on my laptop and I don't understand why I would not have sudoers rights and be in the sudoers file. Of course there is allot I don't understand at this stage.

I do have access to the laptop in terminal mode only.

Someone, any help? :confused:

phidia
April 23rd, 2008, 08:21 PM
For phidia,

Went to the link suggested and tried the only thing I could find, to reconfigure gdm, and here is what I got:

XXXX is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported. ~$ exim: failed to find uid for user name "Debian-exim"

I have no idea what the error means and I am currently the only user on my laptop and I don't understand why I would not have sudoers rights and be in the sudoers file. Of course there is allot I don't understand at this stage.

I do have access to the laptop in terminal mode only.

Someone, any help? :confused:

Is Debian-exim your user and also the 1st account you created when installing Ubuntu?

Added Later: Did you have a different user account when you installed Ubuntu and did you delete that account and create a new user?

It seems like you lost admin privledges somehow. Check out this post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=107940)
Please read the whole thread it isn't very long-often it's easier to reference the ways to a solution than to recreate the wheel. Hope that Helps!

CyberDean
April 27th, 2008, 11:04 PM
[QUOTE=phidia;4773340]Is Debian-exim your user and also the 1st account you created when installing Ubuntu?

Added Later: Did you have a different user account when you installed Ubuntu and did you delete that account and create a new user?

I've only had one user since installing till this problem, have not changed user names or deleted. I do not understand what Debian-exim is, sorry for ignorance, checked Wiki but no go.

I checked the latest link, but I can not get logged in to do anything, don't know how it would help me at this point.

I do appreciate all you are trying to do, thanks.