PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] When starting my computer, it doesn't start gnome, just goes to terminal

thebrotherofasis
April 23rd, 2008, 02:14 PM
Hello,

Last night I turned off my ubuntu 7.10 machine, and went to have a comfortable night's sleep. This morning, I woke up and turned it on to start a day of work... and wooops!!! After loading the initial stages, ubuntu just doesn't go to gnome... it goes to the terminal and asks me for my username and password. I provide them, and it just stays in the terminal!

I am utterly confused... everything was perfect yesterday, and today... I just can access the terminal. I have restarted my machine many times already, and I just get to the same point.

What could be wrong?

And most importantly: how can I get back to where I was before...? How can I just login to my gnome session and work as I have been doing on a normal basis?

This is surprising, and kind of annoying to say the truth.

I had to start in windows, and I am writing from here... It's been ages since I last used windows... everything I have is in ubuntu... so please, if anyone can shed some light on this issue, it would be very grateful

Thank you for your kind support.

Cannaregio
April 23rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
What happens if you type in your terminal

startx
does the GUI start or not?

And what happens if you, instead, press the three keys

CTRL+ALT+F7
do you get your GUI?

thebrotherofasis
April 23rd, 2008, 03:28 PM
1) I typed startx, and I get the following error:

Giving up
xinit: connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
xinit: no such process (errno 3): server error

2) I held CTRL+ALT+F7 and nothing happens...

Is this serious? How can I get my GUI back to work?

Thanks in advance

markjensen
April 23rd, 2008, 03:42 PM
Sounds like something was changed in your X configuration during last boot session, so when you rebooted, it took effect, but is non-functional. Have you set or removed any desktop effect options recently?

thebrotherofasis
April 23rd, 2008, 03:48 PM
Well... I hardly can think of something I changed: My screen resolution... However after I canged it, it was working perfectly. But I didn't change it yesterday, nor any time recently, probably a week ago at the soonest.

No desktop effects I have touched, for I prefer a better performance over apperiance. Now, is there a way in which I can reconfigure the X configuration?, or what should be done instead?

markjensen
April 23rd, 2008, 03:56 PM
Well, you can manually browse and check for a backup xorg.conf file in your /etc/X11/ directory. It may have a .backup appended, or likely a tilde (~) if it was edited.

If a backup exists, and the problem was with your xorg.conf, then this will fix you right back up.

If you want to reconfigure yourself, sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg should get the process started.