PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Gapless AND lossless music on linux - what do you use?

kko1
April 23rd, 2008, 01:53 PM
I am searching for a practical solution to achieve a lossless + gapless listening experience. I haven't come across one, so if you have a working solution or a link to one, please do tell.

My criteria:
- The music must be stored in a lossless format that uses tags.
- The files may be stored in a compressed format.
- The files may be stored as single-track-per-file OR album-per-file (possibly with cuesheets).
- The player must be able to identify and operate with single songs AS WELL AS play an album seamlessly i.e. gaplessly (with the chosen way to store the files).

A bonus criterion:
- I don't care too much about hidden pre-tracks, as I don't have many such CDs, but if there is a way to store all information on a music CD (so as to be able to restore the equivalent of the "original CD") in all cases, this is a bonus. (In other words, if the files act as a complete backup.)

Is there a nice lossless and seamless solution that doesn't involve keeping bit-to-bit backup copies of the original CDs in addition to the extracted music tracks?

Before you reply: I am on Kubuntu (currently Dapper, soon Hardy), but don't care about what programs to use nor the file format, as long as they work nicely and achieve what I ask for above. I currently use Amarok + single-track FLAC, which, at least with this version, isn't a gapless combination.

eldepeche
May 15th, 2008, 12:34 AM
MPD handles gapless FLAC and MP3 well. MPD is a daemon that runs in the background; it also requires a frontend client. Check out http://musicpd.org .

kko1
May 17th, 2008, 05:34 PM
MPD handles gapless FLAC well.

It does. Thanks. :)

I tried it with the pygmy frontend now, I'll try other options when I update to Hardy.

EDIT: Other good solutions to the original question are still welcome in the thread, so I won't mark this as solved yet. Perhaps we can gather more information accessible in the same thread.