PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] ati+compiz=flickering video/open gl

medivh
April 23rd, 2008, 01:20 PM
I don't want to believe that it is not possible to use compiz and other OpenGL applications at the same time. With such big community and open software is it that much hard to solve that issue? I read that it works with nVidia cards but not with ATI.

I am really about to switch Ubuntu from Windows XP but i hate this kind of problems i face everyday. Do i have to turn of compiz whenever i want to run google earth or any other 3D application :mad: or stand that flickering issues. I am using awn and when i turn off compiz it also goes and therefore i cant reach open windows list.It is meaningless to decorate and customize all desktop with these apps and then turn them off before running an application.

So i think instead of spending time for other things, developers must solve hardware and driver related issues first.

VeN0mizer
April 23rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
You can blame ATI for the really @$&*(@#$& driver quality. They only fix about one to two minor bugs a month with their drivers. Sometimes I swear they have their company janitors working on them. My desktop has an nvidia card and it runs FLAWLESSLY. I can run WoW with compiz with no hitches whatsoever. However, with my laptop, I too get flickering and odd effects. If I could rip this POS video controller off of my laptops motherboard and replace it, I'd do it in a heartbeat....keep looking for driver updates from ATI man, it's all the advice I can give you atm :/

Mr_Congeniality
April 23rd, 2008, 04:54 PM
I've had NOTHING but problems with ATI drivers. My desktop used to have ATI, but I bought an NVIDIA 7900 GTX for it instead, and I couldn't be more happier.

Another situation, I had a dell E1505 and some dumb guy who was supposed to come and fix a fan problem with my laptop actually messed up the computer instead of fixing it, and I had a ATI card in that laptop, X1400 with hypermemory. Dell had to ship me a new laptop, and it has an NVIDIA 8600M card. There is definatly a difference between NVIDIA and ATI on Ubuntu. Even though ATI might be ahead in the arms race for next-gen graphic support, you should stick by NVIDIA because they are clearly not forgetting that people use Linux, too.

moonbeam
April 23rd, 2008, 05:54 PM
I'd just like to point out that the Xorg (non-proprietary) ATI drivers are rock solid for a lot of the older ATI cards (r2xx,r3xx and I believe things are getting better for r4xx and r5xx). I'm running an older (r350 based) ATI card with recent Xorg radeon drivers on my dev system, and they are extremely nice.

slippynuxx
June 19th, 2008, 03:10 AM
What I find interesting about this bug (I experience it too) is that when my gnome-screensaver runs, there's a lot of flickering. But, if I open up the System > Preferences > Screensaver window and do previews, no flickering. That leads me to believe it's fixable.

markbuntu
June 20th, 2008, 12:08 AM
If you want to fix the flickering widowed video problem you can edit the appropriate sections of your xorg.conf to look like this:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]" 0 0
Option "AIGLX" "on"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]"
Driver "fglrx"
Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "on"
Option "TexturedVideo" "off"
Option "VideoOverlay" "off"
Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
Option "Textured2D" "on"
Option "UseFastTLS" "1"
Option "BackingStore" "on"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
Group "Video"
Mode 0666
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "RENDER" "Enable"
Option "DAMAGE" "Enable"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

Then run, in a terminal:

sudo aticonfig --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf

to write the changes to the actual ATI config file.

This will only work with the ATI driver 8.4 and newer. Also, you must have redirectfullscreenwindows checked in the compiz settings manager.

The TexturedVideo "off" option can cause some full screen playback problems for older cards and slower cpus but will get rid of the windowed playback flickering. You can turn it back on for full screen high def playback if you need to.

ATI has recently made a great change in their commitment to linux, releasing source code to the driver writers groups, etc. They also seem to be committed to proprietary driver updates for newer cards about every six weeks which includes 3 weeks of testing before release.

They are aware of this problem with compiz and OpenGL and are working towards a solution. The 8.5 and 8.6 drivers have a lot of improvements over the 8.4 in the repos. The screensaver problem is fixed. The Compiz problem will be fixed soon.

I expect that by the fall, ATI will be at least comparable to Nvidia.

ok123jump
September 27th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Hmmm...

These suggestions didn't work for me. I have a Radeon 4870 HD.I still get flickering when I run "glxgears" or any screensaver.

Do you think this is a graphics card specific issue?

theApokalypsis
November 8th, 2008, 07:37 AM
using the latest 8.10 drivers from ATI as they are doing a good job so far. I picked up a 4870 as well and even applying those reccomended settings I still get video flickering :S. A pain for animated desktops... All in all I am way more happy with ATI. With the nvidia drivers the 2D acceleration in for example css3/javascript web applications are slowed down to a crawl...

Perfect with ATI. Does anyone know if ATI releases beta drivers before the 3 weeks of testing? 8.10 was released mid Oct so I would assume somethings bound to come out soon. :D

pelle.k
November 8th, 2008, 10:55 AM
You can blame ATI for the really @$&*(@#$& driver quality.
No this is a problem with Xorg. Or, to be more precise the lack of DRI2. Intel has the same problem. The thing is nvidia bypassed some features in xorg and wrote their own propreitary hardware acceleration in their linux drivers.
DRI2 was supposed to be included in xserver 1.5 (wich is in intrepid), but there was a change of plans unfortunately, so DRI2 will be included in xserver 1.6 (to be released pretty soon).

DISCLAIMER - i use an nvidia card, and it works very well. But this doesn't change the fact that ATI's drivers would probably perform identically if it hadn't been for that recent DRI2 mishap.

kloispetie
November 10th, 2008, 04:18 PM
After performing the above mentioned procedure; I get this message:

Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Undefined Screen "aticonfig-Screen[0]" referenced by ServerLayout "Default Layout".

aticonfig: Parsing the configuration file failed.

The above error messages are reported from XFree86 and may assist you in

diagnosing the problem with your configuration input file. Try use -f option

to generate a new configuration file.

Anyone has an idea?

this is how my xorg.conf looks like after editing:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
Defaultdepth 24
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]"
Driver "fglrx"
Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "on"
Option "TexturedVideo" "off"
Option "VideoOverlay" "off"
Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
Option "Textured2D" "on"
Option "UseFastTLS" "1"
Option "BackingStore" "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
Option "XkbOptions" "lv3:ralt_switch"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]" 0 0
Option "AIGLX" "on
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "RENDER" "Enable"
Option "DAMAGE" "Enable"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
Group "Video"
Mode 0666
EndSection

Thank you very much

politas
November 11th, 2008, 09:48 AM
After upgrading to Ubuntu 8.10, I've had serious video issues.

Made the xorg.conf changes suggested above. I have flicker-free video playback, but it seems to be using x11 by default now (mplayer only works by selecting x11), and I still can't run 3D games.

politas@wedge:~$ etracer
Extreme TuxRacer SVN Development -- http://www.extremetuxracer.com
(c) 2007 The ETRacer team
(c) 2004-2005 The PPRacer team
(c) 1999-2001 Jasmin F. Patry<jfpatry@sunspirestudios.com>
ETRacer comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for details.

*** etracer error: Couldn't initialize video: Couldn't find matching GLX visual (Resource temporarily unavailable)
politas@wedge:~$

theApokalypsis
November 11th, 2008, 01:03 PM
thanks for the info pelle :)

looks like its just going to be a matter of time. X11 playback for now I suppose (where a quad core comes in handy :D)

kloispetie, sorry, not too good yet at this stuff. :S. i could only suggest doing a fresh xorg.conf config, then aticonfig followed by the input command for saving any custom editing.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
sudo ati-config --initial
sudo ati-config --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf

good luck.

lordfoul
November 12th, 2008, 01:37 AM
I was able to get video playback working in Vlc player by changing the video output module to x11. Hope a fix comes soon. I'm using the mediaplayerconnectivity plugin for firefox to stream wmv, real player, and quicktime formats in x11 as well flash seems fine.

theApokalypsis
November 14th, 2008, 12:33 AM
8.11 Released Today!

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linux64/linux64-radeon.html
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linux/linux-radeon.html

i will post about the flickering isssue!

theApokalypsis
November 14th, 2008, 01:56 AM
:( appears flickering accelerated video is still aparrent with 8.11... tried some mixed settings to no avail...

good news is the 8.11 release officially supports Ubuntu, so you can run the stock installer (instead of building debs) :D

binbash
November 14th, 2008, 02:42 AM
It is not possible to fix it till DRI2 comes, at least for ati.But you can disable flickering at videos with selecting X11 as video output

TVMA
January 15th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I forget where I read this, but it worked for me on my lappy, ATI X1300, and my desktop ATI HD 4850

type gstreamer-properties in terminal (Applications > Accessories in Ubuntu) and go to the video tab. Under Default Output, choose X Window System (no Xv).

Boom, no reboot, don't have to restart X, just works flawlessly. I have Appearance settins on Hhigh, and no more flickering video. I stil have some issues with VLC, but Totem has no problems whatsoever.

nick09
January 15th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Thank you for posting that. That just fixed my flickering problems with videos on my ATI 3450.

threetimes
January 16th, 2009, 07:07 AM
It solves the flickering, but (depending on the video) I get an extremely low framerate.

pelle.k
January 16th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Yeah, it's a workaround. Not a fix. X11 is not using video acceleration (while xv, which do use video acceleration, has got flickering instead).

marcgh
January 16th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Driver ATI 8.12 for ubuntu are now available.

marcgh
January 16th, 2009, 12:11 PM
ATI has now a newer driver: 8.12
I'm using it but still compiz OR video, both together is still flickering.

michaelalonzo
January 17th, 2009, 07:00 AM
yeah I`ve been researching alot on why my screen flickers on veoh full screen (but not on original screen) and dvd playback but not on youtube.

turned off visual effects and the flickering is gone. I also have the latest ati driver.

still ATI is a downer

avaddon
February 5th, 2009, 09:45 AM
It seems than ATI fixed flickering video in new 8.573 drivers, so video with compiz doesn't flickering, BUT now it's corrupted :(

notoriousdbp
February 6th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Version 0.1 of the driver is now available. Has anyone tried it yet?

markbuntu
February 7th, 2009, 03:20 AM
The new 9.1 driver from ati has resolved all flickering video problems for me. I have a HD3650 running on Intrepid amd64.

markbuntu
February 7th, 2009, 04:03 AM
I am using the 9.1 driver and have zero problems with video playback flickering in window or full screen with compiz running with totem, vlc flash, etc with my HD3650 card.
I have it running on Intrepid and Hardy. It is just great. That problem can finally be put to rest, YAY!!

You need to set the video preferences to X11 wherever you have an option to do so, turn on all the compiz workarounds and do not edit your xorg.conf. That is how my setup is configured.

spandanj
February 7th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Reply to markbuntu

If you still have to use x11 in the new Catalyst 9.1, then the Problem is NOT solved because x11 does not use video acceleration, while playback in OpenGL does.

With x11 as my video playback, HD videos are slow aka frame drop due to a lack of hardware acceleration.

So, catalyst 9.1 has NOT solved the compiz+video flickering problem.

markbuntu
February 8th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Well the flickering problem is definitely solved for me. That's what I was talking about.

fdir
February 8th, 2009, 10:14 AM
markbuntu, then try to run HD video or enable some filters in your player. We'll see if your CPU can do all of the job...
Newswet ATI drivers are screwed just the same way like the old one :/ :/

notoriousdbp
February 8th, 2009, 07:31 PM
The video flickering problem is fixed for me with 9.1 BUT it only seems to work well in fullscreen mode - windowed must just looks horrible when watching a DVD in Totem. Also, I can't successfully log out or switch user which suggests something is going wrong with GDM with this new driver.

I'm using a Radeon hd3200