PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardy on Inspiron 1521

GIFRATE
April 23rd, 2008, 03:04 AM
Just to let everyone know, I installed Hardy RC on my Dell Inspiron 1521 and so far it works like a charm.

Unlike previous release, sound works out of the box and proprietary video/wifi drivers can be installed from the Hardware Driver menu.

I am impressed!

Well done Ubuntu!

more to follow (suspend/hibernate)

Edit:
I don't think the hibernate / suspend issue have been fixed yet.

Immolatus
April 23rd, 2008, 08:17 PM
Hey! I just bought the same machine. Did you have any trouble with partitioning, or did it go just like xp/ubuntu?
The reason I ask is that I have seen other people in the forums have trouble with the "Dell tools" partition.

GIFRATE
April 23rd, 2008, 11:26 PM
My laptop came with vista installed. The first thing I did was formating the whole thing.

I think there is an how-to on how to deal with the Dell tool partition you can dig in the forum archive.

Good luck!

odin1965
April 24th, 2008, 12:50 AM
I put the Hardy Beta on my 1520 last week and let it upgrade to the RC when it came out. So far, it's great. I see it's using the new iwl3945 for wireless instead of the old ipw3945 and it works great. Compiz now works out of the box as does sound. Even my multimedia control buttons on the front work now. They were pretty flaky in Feisty and Gutsy.

I've had no issues with the new Firefox 3.0. Flash and Java are both working for me. I now also have video playback AND 3d effects.

Only thing I hoped for that still doesn't work is right-click paste into Firefox, but that's minor. Ctrl-V still works.

Immolatus
April 24th, 2008, 03:58 AM
My laptop came with vista installed. The first thing I did was formating the whole thing.

I think there is an how-to on how to deal with the Dell tool partition you can dig in the forum archive.

Good luck!

Am I safe to assume you reformatted using the vista oem disk? Is the Dell tolls crap on a separate disk? Because I'll just reformat and then put Hardy on tomorrow when it comes out and partition it then.

p.s. This vista crap already has me pissed after only two days. Something "updated" and now that machine has little or no internet capability. However as you can see my trusty old Linux box has no problems on the same freaking connection!!

sdm_cacto
April 24th, 2008, 02:44 PM
The only serious problem I have with this laptop is when I leave it alone, it automatically turns off the screen, but I cant turn it back on.
Anyone having the same problem?

odin1965
April 24th, 2008, 02:51 PM
The only serious problem I have with this laptop is when I leave it alone, it automatically turns off the screen, but I cant turn it back on.
Anyone having the same problem?

My 1520 comes back on, but sometimes I have to manually make it brighter with "Fn + up arrow" even when on AC power.

LeoSolaris
April 24th, 2008, 09:43 PM
From what I have read they are making 8.10 the "laptop" edition by making sure the hibernate and resume features work perfectly as well as other laptop specific upgrades to power, cooling, etc.

I will be doing an upgrade to Hardy on my 1520 Sunday. If that doesn't work out too well, I'll do a clean install. I'll get back with the forum then to report how it went and if the upgrade worked or if I had to do a clean install.

Have a great weekend y'all!
Leo

x3haloed
April 27th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Anyone having any graphics issues on the 1520? I have the nvidia 8400M GS, and when the nvidia drivers are enabled, GDM shows a white screen with scan lines. See post here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=769013
I have tried setting up my xorg.conf as described here: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Dell_Inspiron_1520#xorg.conf but no luck. Anyone have any ideas?

LeoSolaris
April 27th, 2008, 02:28 AM
For x3haloed: No, I had no issues with that graphics card with Hardy, but then again I did a distro upgrade rather than a fresh install.

Alright, I have an Inspiron 1520 and I just finished my dist-upgrade. I had some small issues with screenlets because I installed one from deb that was newer than the one in Gusty. I removed it after figuring out that was what was messing up my compiz. Now I am down to just a pair of little issues. My Trash Applet on my panel keeps vanishing randomly when I login, and my webcam is not displaying anything. The light is on but no image, reguardless of the view used. Skype does have sound though, so the mic works.

I rarely ever use the cam, so it's not a major issue, but the vanishing trash has me somewhat worried.

Everything else is peachy. PulseAudio works better than ASLA and the new wireless for my Intel wireless N card works much better. I actually get 100% readings rather than 85%.

Leo

x3haloed
April 27th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Just got my issue fixed: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=769013

Desterie
April 29th, 2008, 08:16 AM
This forum has been a big help. I just got a 1521 last week. First thing I did was remove my hard drive and popped in a blank one. (never even powered vista up LOL) I unwrapped my 7.10 CD and installed it. I was diaappointed when the sound didnt work. So I started digging into the Ubuntu website and found out that 8.04 was coming out. (I had done almost no research at all when I ordered my disk from ebay.)

I fiddled with the sound, but I think all the sound fixes for 7.10 on the 1521 were geared to the dual boot folks. Well I tend to go to extremes and since windows ticked me off, I decided to go straight Linux. :guitar:

In any case, I quit on the sound issue with 7.10 in hopes that 8.04 would take care of it. I am glad to see it does. I can't wait for my 8.04 disk to get here.

ubonetu
May 15th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Everything seems to be working pretty well for me except the suspend issue. I'm not a big fan of Pulse Audio yet but I felt that way about Alsa two years ago.

It's pretty extraordinary that a distro works so well for so many different machines. That's why the Mac's got things so wired, they have such consistent hardware. I really hate to put up the rockin' guy two posts in a row but, Ubuntu does rock pretty hard :guitar:

ubonetu

Bear
May 16th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Been runnin' ubuntu for almost two years and when I got my new 1521 the first thing I did was get rid of vista and install 8.04 ubuntu. Keep up the great work Ubuntu!!