PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] video cards

regdabs
April 23rd, 2008, 02:27 AM
Hi all. New to this forum. I am thinking about installing the new version of ubuntu when it is ready. I tried install another version of linux and had video problems. I have a GeForce 8800 card and wanted to know if it will be supported under new ubuntu. I could not get it to work with the other version I was trying to use. Any help would be appreciated.

Ed Parlette
April 23rd, 2008, 02:51 AM
Hi,

I recently upgraded to new hardware, including a GeForce 8800GT
card. Hardy Heron started up and the card worked ok. I also went
with the third-party driver in Hardy Heron and that worked too.

I didn't try installing the driver from nvidia manually, so I
don't know if that is different.

Ed Parlette

regdabs
April 23rd, 2008, 03:18 AM
Thanks, good to know. I know I wouldn't be interested in messing with new drivers right now. New to this and just want it to work to begin with. Might try playing later.

revpfil
April 23rd, 2008, 05:28 AM
The manual install of the proprietary nvidia driver is a little bit trickier than the basic drivers, since you have to do it without the GUI running. If you don't mind dropping to the command line for 2 things (running the nvidia installer and changing your xorg.conf), it is pretty simple to install. For now, it's the only way I can get any support for my card (9600gt).

regdabs
April 23rd, 2008, 01:18 PM
Ok, again thanks for the reply. I may ask for some additional help if and when I get to that point. Will take it a slow at first and see how things work out.