PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] adobe reader - "read out loud" function not working

viralexia
April 23rd, 2008, 01:49 AM
Hi, I discovered the "read out loud" function in my Adobe Reader 8 and got very excited about that but unfortunately, as far as I can tell, it doesn't do anything. No sound (sound is working) no error message, nothing.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks.

nicedude
April 23rd, 2008, 01:01 PM
what version are you using 8.? I see they have 8.1.2 available in a deb package that should install fine for you and if its newer than your version it might fix your problem. Heres a link to the deb file, to install just download it and double-click it.

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/unix/8.x/8.1.2/enu/AdobeReader_enu-8.1.2-1.i386.deb

Hope this helps.

KILGETTY
April 24th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Thanks Nicedude for your information I have been trying to install Adobe Reader for the last two days, but once I download either the .rpm package or the .tar package I do not know what to do with them. But all is well now thanks once again.

Mr_VeRiTy
February 22nd, 2011, 02:36 AM
I know it's been two years since this question was asked but this is one of the top results when searching "read out loud adobe reader ubuntu" so I thought I'd say how I got mine to work. I installed festival and espeak and then installed the latest adobe reader from a tarball (Just un-install acroread from synaptic, download the .tar.gz from adobe and then double click the file "INSTALL" in the folder, select run in terminal and then answer the questions it asks you.) Now mine works, but sounds a little robot-ey.

ziemowitzima
October 27th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Hi
I have still this problem.
I tried your solution and some other solution and nothing...
I am trying to read-out-loud working on ubuntu10.4 and acrobat 9.

When I want to activate Read Out Loud when I click View -> Activate Read Out Loud, it seems to load the document again however fails to read anything.

So I checked in Edit -> Preferences -> Reader
All options for Driver and Voices are greyed, and I can modify anything...

Best
ZM