PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hard drive problem

GreenfieldMark
April 23rd, 2008, 12:24 AM
So Ubuntu keeps telling me that I'm using up most of the space on my main hard drive, but when I use the disk usage analyzer the total only comes to about 4 gigabytes being used when I add everything up. However, at the top it still says I'm using most of the space just like everything else. The hard drive is about 19 GB by the way.

So I can't for the life of me figure out where all the bloat is coming from and how to get rid of it. I'd be content to ignore it, except I think it's gotten to the point where it is actually slowing down my system. So if anyone has any idea what to do about this, I'd greatly appreciate the help.

mister_pink
April 23rd, 2008, 12:48 AM
Looked in trash folders? Also try doing a "sudo apt-get clean" to delete cached downloads.

GreenfieldMark
April 23rd, 2008, 01:25 AM
There's nothing in my trash folder, which I'm very meticulous about, and I don't think sudo apt-get clean did a whole lot. Any other ideas?

stevek123
April 23rd, 2008, 01:36 AM
I'm a noob - so sorry if I'm not much help or am out of line here... but possibly a partition issue?

mister_pink
April 23rd, 2008, 12:33 PM
Try running the disk usage thing as root, it doesnt seem to always show files that you don't own. That could reveal whats using all the space up.
gksudo baobab

GreenfieldMark
April 23rd, 2008, 03:10 PM
Oh hey, that helped a lot. It turned out I had a lot of stuff in the /root/.Trash directory. Thanks for the tip.