PDA

View Full Version : I Am So Excited For Hardy! Let's Celebrate!

acelin
April 22nd, 2008, 09:34 PM
So I have heard some grumbling about no excitement for Hardy...

LET THE PARTY BEGIN!!!!!!

Tell us what you look forward to and how you are going to celebrate!!!

:guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar:
:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

I AM SO EXCITED FOR HARDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

NightwishFan
April 22nd, 2008, 09:40 PM
:KS:popcorn::KS:guitar::lolflag:
I am going to a "hardy party" actually. :)

TeraDyne
April 22nd, 2008, 09:45 PM
:KS:popcorn::KS:guitar::lolflag:
I am going to a "hardy party" actually. :)

Lucky. I wish there were on happening here in Fort Smith, AR, or at least close by.

acelin
April 22nd, 2008, 09:47 PM
Lucky. I wish there were on happening here in Fort Smith, AR, or at least close by.
Ahh I am from Rogers!

kinematic
April 22nd, 2008, 09:52 PM
It's just an OS, not an essential part of life. You people need to get out more.

NightwishFan
April 22nd, 2008, 09:53 PM
And you presume to know my schedule? What I do with my free time is up to me, of course. Thank you for understanding.

jpeddicord
April 22nd, 2008, 09:54 PM
It's just an OS, not an essential part of life. You people need to get out more.

No, it's completely essential. :)

I'm going to a release party in Easton here in Ohio.

aaaantoine
April 22nd, 2008, 09:56 PM
I downloaded the RC ISO earlier. I'm gonna play around with the Live CD and see what sort of improvements there are over 7.10.

acelin
April 22nd, 2008, 09:59 PM
You need to grow up.
I am surprised you are not more excited mister 400+ posts- BE EXCITED FOR FREEDOM!

kinematic
April 22nd, 2008, 09:59 PM
No, it's completely essential. :)

I'm going to a release party in Easton here in Ohio.

Only people with no life whatsoever go to release parties. It's just some lines of code for gods sake.

jpeddicord
April 22nd, 2008, 10:01 PM
Only people with no life whatsoever go to release parties. It's just some lines of code for gods sake.

I beg to differ; Ubuntu is so much more than just lines of code. What do you see right in front of you? Community, eh?

TeraDyne

You do realize that you just said that on UbuntuForums, and in reply to a staff member of UbuntuFourms, correct?

NightwishFan
So its a zombie gathering?

acelin
Yo Kinematic, you are on these forums- with over 400 posts- you are in the same boat!

Oh!

Is that-

Yes :lolflag:

Lord of the Rings Avatar? Wow, what a nerd *gasp* if you like LOTR, you obv. are a loner and need to get out more.

(disclaimer: I love LOTR)

kinematic
April 22nd, 2008, 10:03 PM
I am surprised you are not more excited mister 400+ posts

468 posts in almost 2 yrs time, kinda shows where my priorities ly doesn't it. And I will say it once more, release parties are lame !

acelin
April 22nd, 2008, 10:05 PM
Yeah and almost 200 here in a years time, so I come from the same perspective.
The fact that you do not support this excitement and are here shows you have no life- I love being here and love the community! Release parties? I organized one for Gutsy ( the one for Hardy is tomorrow night!!!!) and we had beer, beautiful OPEN SOURCE LOVING women, great music, and great community.

klange
April 22nd, 2008, 10:07 PM

43 of which are mine, and available straight off the Live CD. That's pretty d*** exciting for me. Forty three lines.

Kingsley
April 22nd, 2008, 10:07 PM
Party! Anybody 21 or older want to supply the beer?

kinematic
April 22nd, 2008, 10:08 PM
If by no life you mean not getting exited over the release of an OS, you're right, I have no life.

Lostincyberspace
April 22nd, 2008, 10:08 PM
I agree with acelin It is fun to be excited about a bunch of code.

Lostincyberspace
April 22nd, 2008, 10:09 PM
43 of which are mine, and available straight off the Live CD. That's pretty d*** exciting for me. Forty three lines.

What ones?

acelin
April 22nd, 2008, 10:10 PM
I agree with acelin It is fun to be excited about a bunch of code.

OHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHH!

Well I met my fiance through that Release Party, so I think they are awesome ;)

aaaantoine
April 22nd, 2008, 10:11 PM

Ah, but they are no longer "yours". They now belong to the general public.

Aside from that, congrats. :)

markp1989
April 22nd, 2008, 10:11 PM
im really excited to, dont know if there are any release party's in the uk thou. il prob go on the IRC like i did for gustys release.

ubuntu.com will probably go down again :(

Blue Heron
April 22nd, 2008, 10:13 PM
nice flame here

TeraDyne
April 22nd, 2008, 10:13 PM
ubuntu.com will probably go down again :(

Probably? It's almost guaranteed.

NightwishFan
April 22nd, 2008, 10:14 PM
What are somethings we should get excited about then o wise one? :shock:

popch
April 22nd, 2008, 10:17 PM
Ah, but they are no longer "yours". They now belong to the general public.

Aside from that, congrats. :)

Much as in the Second Foundation on Trantor where new speakers added a new branchlet to the Master Plan which then was made permanent after much deliberation and debate.

Ub1476
April 22nd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Jeez, some goes to football matches, some goes too gaming gatherings, some goes to release parties. People do what they want to, which they should always do (as long as it's humanity that is) but it will always look silly from one or another persons view. Let's be glad it is this way, or there probably be little of Linux at all in this world..

So yeah, I'm happy about a new Ubuntu release, not going to any parties, but people are so Windows "rich" around here anyway, duh.

:popcorn:

NightwishFan
April 22nd, 2008, 11:09 PM
I like Ubuntu.

I like parties.

Combine the two, not a bad thing. :lolflag:

ZarathustraDK
April 22nd, 2008, 11:16 PM
1 day left, 1 day left, 1 day left...

I have resisted the beta so far...must...not...falter...

I don't know what it is, somewhere I got the feeling this release is gonna be that little nudge that makes the snowball start rolling down the hill...

...then grow bigger and bigger and flatten Redmond.
:lolflag:

stinger30au
April 22nd, 2008, 11:23 PM
i cant wait to try the new version, really looking forward to it, it gets better and better

TeraDyne
April 22nd, 2008, 11:27 PM
1 day left, 1 day left, 1 day left...

I have resisted the beta so far...must...not...falter...

I don't know what it is, somewhere I got the feeling this release is gonna be that little nudge that makes the snowball start rolling down the hill...

...then grow bigger and bigger and flatten Redmond.

I just installed the RC of Kubuntu. I have to say, it won't nudge the snowball, it'll put rocket boosters on the sucker and send it flying at mach speed right at Microsoft's door.

Superkoop
April 23rd, 2008, 12:49 AM
:!::mrgreen::mrgreen:\\:D/\\:D/:mrgreen::mrgreen::!:
I'm crazyishly wickedly insanely amazingly uber de duber fantastically awesomely excited!!!!!!!1111!!!!11!!!1!!!!!!1 W00t!

And Ubuntu == awesome; parties == awesome.
Therefore, Parties about Ubuntu == Awesome X 2
=)

I wish there were a release party near enough me, oh well, I guess I will just have to celebrate privately. =\

myusername
April 23rd, 2008, 01:00 AM
is there a good secure place to download incase ubuntu.com goes down?

Ozor Mox
April 23rd, 2008, 01:03 AM

Oh yeah you're right, I mean this is a forum made up largely of computer enthusiasts with a strong interest in computers, for an operating system with an upcoming release, how silly of me to expect some excitement surrounding it.

Sorry, it's much more normal if we get excited about a football match or a TV series or something isn't it? Gosh, I really do wish I got out more and was able to see that my operating system isn't an essential part of life, and is actually just related to my interest in computing. I'd be much cooler if I was interested in the same things as normal people like you.

myusername
April 23rd, 2008, 01:09 AM
Oh yeah you're right, I mean this is a forum made up largely of computer enthusiasts with a strong interest in computers, for an operating system with an upcoming release, how silly of me to expect some excitement surrounding it.

i agree with you...im excited but i am not so excited that ill crap my pants when i first install it. its just a hobby/future profession

ZarathustraDK
April 23rd, 2008, 01:13 AM
i agree with you...im excited but i am not so excited that ill crap my pants when i first install it. its just a hobby/future profession
*Note to self : must remember diaper this time*

Istonian
April 23rd, 2008, 01:14 AM
Man, I get out a ton. I am very active outdoors. I enjoy stuff like fishing, softball, football, running, and many other things. I also get excited about stuff like this. It's a new ubuntu! what's not to be excited about!?

bobbybobington
April 23rd, 2008, 01:22 AM
is there a good secure place to download incase ubuntu.com goes down?

If you look at the download sources, most of them are hosted by other sites (organizations, universities etc...) if all else fails you can always get it via bittorrent. As long as the Md5sum's are right it's ok.

edit: Oh BTW I'm totally stoked about Hardy WOOOOT!

the_darkside_986
April 23rd, 2008, 01:22 AM

Cool. what program is it that contains the lines? what language?

Anyway, no parties around here as far as I know. Not that I would have time to go due to finals and studying and homework.

cardinals_fan
April 23rd, 2008, 01:42 AM
What's the point of a new release again? I guess I've been using rolling release too long... :razz:

aktiwers
April 23rd, 2008, 01:43 AM
I have been on Hardy for a couple of days and I must say WOW! I LOVE IT!!
It's a lot faster on my system, I used to have a few lags with compiz turned on, but now it runs smoothly!

I only have one small problem, which must be a bug, my other partitions don't get mounted correctly before I go to Place=>Computer=> And open them in Nautilus. Strange eh?

Otherwise I love it!!!!

klange
April 23rd, 2008, 02:10 AM
Cool. what program is it that contains the lines? what language?

Anyway, no parties around here as far as I know. Not that I would have time to go due to finals and studying and homework.

Compiz (plugins-extra, '3d' and 'cubecaps', very small changes. In 3d, you can change the color of the thick part of the windows (which I don't even use any more because it hasn't been fixed up to work with Cylinder, it was a simple thing any way, I'd say the regular devs didn't add it because no one was asking for it), and CubeCaps' textures work properly with the cube opacity settings as well as properly handling set opacity values for the cap colors, so you can specify clear caps, etc.)

I don't know of any parties near my hometown, if anyone lives in Cuyahoga County (Ohio) and knows of a party, I may try and go (chances are, no, unless it's in Strongsville...). I'll probably sit at home while I await nothing more than a random time (RC users get the final package set before the actual release date, so it's not like that last minute matters) and listen to "Final Countdown".

NovaAesa
April 23rd, 2008, 02:51 AM
Yay!!! New software. /me is feeling happy. If only there was a release party in Newcaslte :(

Bungo Pony
April 23rd, 2008, 03:33 AM
Tell us what you look forward to and how you are going to celebrate!!!

I'm looking forward to stability and two years of not having to upgrade!

I'm going to celebrate by waiting an extra week to download it!

...but seriously, I've been quite anxious for Hardy to be released. I just don't need to compete for bandwidth and I need some time to wipe my drives and do the install. My Windows partition is also getting wiped and re-installed. Oh yeah, and I have to do backups. But I hope it will all be worth it!

...and there's nothing wrong with getting excited about lines of code, especially FINISHED lines of code! I'll bet that the developers are just as excited as the users are! If that's the case, maybe the developers should get out more and make every release late :D

blithen
April 23rd, 2008, 04:14 AM

Jeez man. lighten up. Who pissed in your Wheaties today?

Anywho. I'm running the RC now. I will probably format when I got the CD though. I need a good fresh start from gutsy. >.>;

Google Spider
April 23rd, 2008, 08:32 AM
*Note to self : must remember diaper this time*

mondayrocks
April 23rd, 2008, 08:48 AM
It makes me nervous. I've spent the last two months reading about 7.10 and now there is something new. ha. I sound like an old person.

diplomat.x
April 23rd, 2008, 09:57 AM
YAY YAY YAY YAY :guitar:

GOSH, how many hours left. My brand new hard-drive is waiting eagerly to be wedded with hardy heron. :lolflag:

Atreus12
April 23rd, 2008, 11:23 AM
We should sticky the torrent link when it comes out...people are always looking for it.

http://releases.ubuntu.com/

Question: I see they have a md5sum.gpg file, where can I find ubuntu's gpg key?

mybunche
April 23rd, 2008, 12:21 PM
Looking forward to the thread on the forums tomorrow. Always fun!

solitaire
April 23rd, 2008, 12:26 PM

where do you get this "Essential-life"?

I tried:

sudo apt-get essential-life

But it didn't work. Is it in the Distros??:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:#-o#-o

jespdj
April 23rd, 2008, 12:37 PM
Party! Anybody 21 or older want to supply the beer?
Sure!
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:e3b96G4J8kAb1M:http://www.coppo-juveniel.nl/bestanden/Coppo%252028%2520cl%2520Bier-Fris%2520gevuld.JPG

diplomat.x
April 23rd, 2008, 12:46 PM
Cool, beer has been made available.

So what next? Cheerleaders? :lolflag:

Deamos
April 23rd, 2008, 03:08 PM
Wooo!! Parrrtty time!:guitar:

Wobedraggled
April 23rd, 2008, 03:30 PM
I've already jumped on all but one machine, this release is gonna be HUGE.

Xenix
April 23rd, 2008, 03:50 PM
If by no life you mean not getting exited over the release of an OS, you're right, I have no life.

Linux and Ubuntu in particular is more than just an OS. It is more than just a "bunch of code". It is a community, it is the poeple, it is the passion, it is the freedom, it is the ability to stand up to the behemoth that is Microsoft and say "we don't like your way, here is ours". And to say "we will not be bullied by your practices." "We will not be bought out by your filthy money." To me, Windows is just an OS. Windows is just a bunch of code. I don't get excited over Windows releases anymore. But I do get excited over Linux, and in particular, Ubuntu releases.

Perhaps you don't share the same enthuisasm that others do around here. But please do not turn around and tell people to get out more and that they have no life. You have no right to do so.

Blue Heron
April 23rd, 2008, 03:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NdAUnnU9Ac

Fedz
April 23rd, 2008, 04:00 PM
A good few of Ubuntu users backup and do fresh installs on OS upgrades but, is it perfectly fine to simply upgrade from Ubuntu/7.10 (gutsy)?

I upgraded from Ubuntu/6.10 to Ubuntu/7.10 with no problems :)

Tia

Blue Heron
April 23rd, 2008, 04:21 PM
A good few of Ubuntu users backup and do fresh installs on OS upgrades but, is it perfectly fine to simply upgrade from Ubuntu/7.10 (gutsy)?

I upgraded from Ubuntu/6.10 to Ubuntu/7.10 with no problems :)

Tia

risky

the.dark.lord
April 23rd, 2008, 04:50 PM
Anyone know what time is it releasing according to IST (Indian Standard Time)?

Google Spider
April 23rd, 2008, 04:57 PM
It will take full 6 hours to download with my connection :(

markp1989
April 23rd, 2008, 05:03 PM
what time gmt will it be released?

23meg
April 23rd, 2008, 08:54 PM
Please read http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=763394.

kinematic
April 23rd, 2008, 08:59 PM
Perhaps you don't share the same enthuisasm that others do around here. But please do not turn around and tell people to get out more and that they have no life. You have no right to do so.

I have every right to do so, it's called freedom of speech. It is my undeniable right to voice my opinion even if you don't like it.

Tom Mann
April 23rd, 2008, 09:59 PM
On my left hand I have standing outside PC World (UK) until midnight in order to *purchase* Vista,

OR

On my right hand I can go to a party and celebrate Ubuntu which is free! More money for beer! :-D

(PS I'm not an alcoholic, seriously)

:guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar:

vexorian
April 23rd, 2008, 10:01 PM

Hi, my computer is an essential part of my life no matter how often I go out, I depend on it in order to get progress at college and it is also the current base of my economy.

An OS is that little thing that allows me to use my computer, so, yep. Ubuntu is essential to me. Thanks for reading.

NightwishFan
April 23rd, 2008, 10:16 PM
For now.

diplomat.x
April 23rd, 2008, 10:22 PM
I have every right to do so, it's called freedom of speech. It is my undeniable right to voice my opinion even if you don't like it.

You are my idol, Sir. I salute you. :)

Chilli Bob
April 23rd, 2008, 10:37 PM

Maybe, but there is a time and place for everything. Frankly I feel your comments were unnecessary.

Let me just say it's Hardy Morning here, so WOOOOHOOOO for Hardy, and a big THANK YOU to the devs.

Ozor Mox
April 23rd, 2008, 10:38 PM

Would love to see you banned just to show how wrong you are. "It is my undeniable right to voice my opinion even if..." *BAN* ... "Oh, right" :-)

Trolling is bad people.

wold
April 23rd, 2008, 10:41 PM
Hello my friends! Greetings from Portugal.

All I want to write here is: Thank you, developers! Great Job!

Foster Grant
April 23rd, 2008, 10:46 PM
I'd like to celebrate by cracking open a Castle Lager (top South African beer), but I can't find any here. :( I will have no choice but to crack open a St. Pauli Girl.

acelin
April 23rd, 2008, 11:04 PM
Would love to see you banned just to show how wrong you are. "It is my undeniable right to voice my opinion even if..." *BAN* ... "Oh, right" :-)

Trolling is bad people.

yeah if you are going to be negative about people being excited for Ubuntu, just leave.

WE ARE EXCIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::lolflag::lolflag: :lolflag:

aparigraha
April 24th, 2008, 12:12 AM
http://torrent.ubuntu.com:6969/

Amiret
April 24th, 2008, 12:15 AM
How many hours until is it released?

avkhatri
April 24th, 2008, 12:17 AM
PARTAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::):): )

NightwishFan
April 24th, 2008, 12:18 AM
:guitar:

acelin
April 24th, 2008, 12:27 AM
http://torrent.ubuntu.com:6969/

How can this be?

drascus
April 24th, 2008, 12:35 AM
yay!!! I want to stay up all night and wait for it. I don't want to go to work tomorrow so I can play with my new install. :popcorn::guitar:

aparigraha
April 24th, 2008, 12:41 AM
How can this be?

hmmm, let me see. they put up a site, a tracker, create a torrent and post it when they decide to release it.

Pethegreat
April 24th, 2008, 12:57 AM
So its a zombie gathering?
Not when you add the coffee. They you got crazy zombies a la Half Life 2.

I don't plan on any parties, but I will get help seed the 64bit iso.

the_darkside_986
April 24th, 2008, 01:37 AM
The only "party" I'll attend is the #ubuntu-release-party channel on Freenode :-/

I guess it is pointless to stay up 'til midnight but I'll wake up early in the morning and hopefully there will be an official announcement and release by then.

diskotek
April 24th, 2008, 02:14 AM
hope to organise one party in istanbul (turkey) soon :(
few drinks + geek chat

PurposeOfReason
April 24th, 2008, 02:24 AM
What's the point of a new release again? I guess I've been using rolling release too long... :razz:
So I ran a pacman -Syu today. Yeah, I upgrade every other day, what are you going to do about it? :)

cardinals_fan
April 24th, 2008, 02:32 AM
So I ran a pacman -Syu today. Yeah, I upgrade every other day, what are you going to do about it? :)
Yeah, I use Arch on my spare box and Zenwalk Snapshot (the development branch) on my main desktop. And now that I use FreeBSD (almost more than Zenwalk lately!) I just update from CVS. New releases seem silly from here ;)

DarkStarAeon
April 24th, 2008, 02:32 AM
The RC has been excellent, so looking forward to having the final 100%.

The RC has so many updates each day though I feel like I already upgraded, lol.

Twitch6000
April 24th, 2008, 02:36 AM

Oh so I guess if the internet died everyone would be a okay?I think not :p.
Anyways I do have a life you know,so don't speak for others.

mjp216
April 24th, 2008, 02:41 AM
i wonder if it will be released at exactly midnight, cuz if so, im stayin up for it!

tempest
April 24th, 2008, 02:45 AM
I went the beta release route this time. I just got all the daily updates this past week. I hope the final release updates are as fast. Not sure I'll make it to midnight but I usually end up waiting a few days for a fast download anyway.

Omnios
April 24th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Hi well going to be bussy for a while. I am planning on installing debian-Hurd on a small bununtu 8.04 to mintain a working grub if hurd is removed. Lookin forward to reinsalling and having /home on its own partition eleviates a lot of stress.

For me a Ubuntu release is almost as exiting as a birthday.

Happy 8.04
http://www.imageshack.seekaboo.info/-img-.gif

tempest
April 24th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Almost? Ubuntu day is like xmas with virtual presents.

klange
April 24th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Almost? Ubuntu day is like xmas with virtual presents.
It even has that whole "giving is better than receiving" feel to it.

american.swan
April 24th, 2008, 04:17 AM
I have like three firefox tabs open auto refreshing with all the links needed to start the download so I can participate in the crashing of a server due to demand. What a joy?

LittleLORDevil
April 24th, 2008, 04:24 AM
I remember the Gutsy release anticipation thread. It was like 10+ post a second. No joke.

ironclaw
April 24th, 2008, 04:42 AM
I remember the Gutsy release anticipation thread. It was like 10+ post a second. No joke.

Yeah, I was there right up till it was released. Pressing refresh on that thread didn't work, you had to manually edit the url to the next page in order to keep up with the rapid inflow of messages :).

m.musashi
April 24th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Oh so I guess if the internet died everyone would be a okay?I think not :p.
Anyways I do have a life you know,so don't speak for others.

Not me. I don't have a life - I have a wife :).

alexsabree
April 24th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Man.. this is going to be SWEET!!

crestfallen
April 24th, 2008, 05:39 AM
I'm installing the RC now on a machine I just monstered together after picking up a $20 BRAND NEW LCD from craigslist. Why wait for the release, when you can have it download and install it automatically? :P

Doesn't mean I'm not partying:

Bottle of REAL Russian rye & honey vodka: check.
Lime juice: check.
Triple sec: check.

KAMIKAZE!!!

(I'd be doing this whether it was release day or not, but I suppose it adds another element of fun)

Vicfred
April 24th, 2008, 05:46 AM
last time the countdown to gutsy got 260 pages (2568 replies) insanly quick, let's check if this time it can get a similar amount >_<

colorcol
April 24th, 2008, 05:49 AM

i think so.just like some fans of APPLE,GOOGLE,i can't understand these

acelin
April 24th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Hooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Hardy Heron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chewearn
April 24th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Are we there yet? :lol:

NightwishFan
April 24th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Soon enough, it will come. :popcorn:
(disclaimer: I am not really exited about hardy so much since I already have had it for months. ;))

Chilli Bob
April 24th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Nothing to say - just adding to post count.

WOOO HHHHOOOOOOOO!!! C'mon Hardy!

There. I've partied.

chewearn
April 24th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Are we there yet? I need to go to bathroom... lol

Ok, that's not funny, I will stop now. :lol:

Google Spider
April 24th, 2008, 06:05 AM
C'mon Hardy, my 90 GB partition is waiting for you!

pbpersson
April 24th, 2008, 06:07 AM

Hey, software makes the world go 'round

Years ago they had a song that said "Love Makes The World Go 'Round"

This is the 21st century

Software has taken over :)

acelin
April 24th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Whoooo HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
It is the 24th in the US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eboogie
April 24th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Ive been waiting for this release for some time now ^_^ now I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting to download it :popcorn:

Foster Grant
April 24th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Nothing to say - just adding to post count.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/funny-picture-cat-fail.jpg

Posts on the Comm Cafe don't count toward your post total. Post all you want, but no beans for you! :)

Chilli Bob
April 24th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Still no Hardy.

Still nothing to say.

Still just adding to the post count.

Still proud of it.

(For the benefit of Foster Grant, I am adding to the thread post count, not my beans. For Gutsy we got this up over 2000 from memory. There doesn't seem to be the same frenzy this time. I think many people already have the RC. I know I do.)

PryGuy
April 24th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Yeah, People! I can frankly say Hardy is the best Ubuntu ever released. Even Beta is so very stable!And I'm really happy that everything works finally! I'm an Ubuntu devotee but Gutsy was a real pain to me.

mobiryder
April 24th, 2008, 07:27 AM
has it been established if x64 flash will work with the full release of Hardy?

diplomat.x
April 24th, 2008, 07:35 AM
This pic will change once hardy is on the stands..... :lolflag:

http://www.ubuntu.com/files/countdown/804/ubuntu/804UbuntuCountdown_00days.jpg

Atreus12
April 24th, 2008, 08:07 AM
03:00 EST...

Are we there yet?

Patch Adams
April 24th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Its been the 24th for 19 hours in New Zealand, hope this comes before it gets too late. Mind you it'll take a long time to download on our connection

Google Spider
April 24th, 2008, 08:11 AM

Vicfred
April 24th, 2008, 08:17 AM
百二十一

Nunu
April 24th, 2008, 08:19 AM

So don't go if you don't like it. WE are happy about the new software so let us be happy and enjoy our selfs. You don't need to join in.

To Each his own brother.

:guitar::guitar:

I wanna rock! (Rock)
I wanna rock! (Rock)
I want to rock (Rock)
I wanna rock! (Rock)

Turn it down you say,
Well all I got to say to you is time again I say, "No!"
No! No, No, No, No, No!
Tell me not to play
Well, all I got to say to you when you tell me not to play,
I say, "No!"
No! No, No, No, No, No!
So, if you ask me why I like the way I play it
There's only one thing I can say to you

I wanna rock! (Rock)
I wanna rock! (Rock)
I want to rock (Rock)
I wanna rock! (Rock)

There's a feelin' that
I get from nothin' else and there ain't nothin' in the world
That makes me go!
Go! Go, go, go, go, go!
Turn the power up
I've waited for so long so I could hear my favorite song so,
Let's go!
Go! Go, go, go, go, go!
When it's like this I feel the music shootin' through me
There's nothin' else that I would rather do

I wanna rock! (Rock)
I wanna rock! (Rock)
I want to rock (Rock)
I wanna rock! (Rock)

Thought that was rather apt... ROCK ON!!!!!!!!

Micheal Luttrull
April 24th, 2008, 08:23 AM
stilllll waiting...... I'm anxious like a kid on christmas morning who can't come out of the room yet...

Vicfred
April 24th, 2008, 08:25 AM
A donde tu vayas hay mentiras nada mas. En cien años no ha cambiado esta situación, ahora piensas que es fácil como patear una lata vacía.

Amor es algo que tu no debes usar para tu comodidad.

Sabes, sabes, ¿Sabes que tan canalla eres?, ¿Que cosa en el mundo intentas conseguir? Fortuna no es, suerte no es. Muéstrame mas que lo superficial.

Sabes, sabes, ¿Sabes si existe una mujer que por alguien como tu algo pueda sentir? Ninguna mujer por que alguien que nos haga sentir siempre enloquecer es quien debería ser.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aGKUKpjKAHE&fmt=18

Tom Mann
April 24th, 2008, 08:28 AM

A one word answer as a beta user? Yes. :guitar::guitar::guitar:

sudo apt-get party

Vicfred
April 24th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Part II

Toda persona no importa su condición, ha sido herida y luego ha de crecer. Te puedes parar aunque golpeado éstes y si continua todavía el dolor yo estaré abrazándote, cerca de ti estaré sanándolo.

Sabes, sabes, ¿Sabes que tan canalla eres?, ¿Que cosa en el mundo intentas conseguir? Solo en una próxima ocasión muestrame mas fortaleza en ti.

Sabes, sabes, ¿Sabes si existe una mujer que de alguien como tu se pueda enamorar? Ninguna mujer por que alguien que nos haga sentir siempre enloquecer es quien debería ser.

linux phreak
April 24th, 2008, 08:31 AM
1 pm in india.

Vicfred
April 24th, 2008, 08:33 AM
2:33 AM in México.

TooEZ
April 24th, 2008, 08:33 AM
17:45 in Brisbane, Australia

Nunu
April 24th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Part II

Toda persona no importa su condición, ha sido herida y luego ha de crecer. Te puedes parar aunque golpeado éstes y si continua todavía el dolor yo estaré abrazándote, cerca de ti estaré sanándolo.

Sabes, sabes, ¿Sabes que tan canalla eres?, ¿Que cosa en el mundo intentas conseguir? Solo en una próxima ocasión muestrame mas fortaleza en ti.

Sabes, sabes, ¿Sabes si existe una mujer que de alguien como tu se pueda enamorar? Ninguna mujer por que alguien que nos haga sentir siempre enloquecer es quien debería ser.

I have no idea what you just said but it sounds Great...

How about a nice cold one straight from South Africa

http://www.topsatsouthern.co.za/images/castlelager.jpg:guitar:

czechman86
April 24th, 2008, 08:35 AM
i ordered a new pc and by the time it gets here, ubuntu should have posted hardy for download (i remember how long it took last time with 7.10) im not complaining though, seeing as how they continue to do an awesome job! truly looking forward to this one guys! keep up the good work!

Patch Adams
April 24th, 2008, 08:43 AM
When it is released, how do i go about upgrading from 7.10? Is it through the updata manager or will I need to run some code to update the os not my programs?

periphery
April 24th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Its been the 24th in Australia for WAY TOO LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lolflag:

Mazza558
April 24th, 2008, 08:57 AM
When it is released, how do i go about upgrading from 7.10? Is it through the updata manager or will I need to run some code to update the os not my programs?

It'll appear there automatically.

Chilli Bob
April 24th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Yeah, it's 6pm on 24th here, and I'm about to leave work. It's a public holiday tomorrow, so there goes my chance of using the work bandwidth for the download.

PLUS as a bonus the boss just gave me his Vista laptop to take home and "fix" over the weekend. Amongst other problems it refuses to remotely log into our SBS 2003 R2 server because it "pre-dates Vista" according to the error message. A fun weekend ahead for me.

Vicfred
April 24th, 2008, 09:02 AM
If I upgrade from the RC I will lose any data? I have the / and the Home folder on different partitions.

Perfect Storm
April 24th, 2008, 09:03 AM

Works fine here, just add medibuntu repo and install it :KS

If I upgrade from the RC I will lose any data? I have the / and the Home folder on different partitions?

No.

Micheal Luttrull
April 24th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Works fine here, just add medibuntu repo and install it :KS

No.

How about java? I was having trouble with java under x64 had to goto the 32bit

stoodleysnow
April 24th, 2008, 09:18 AM
#ubuntu-release-party has just been silent for more than 5 minutes. What gives?
:(

Perfect Storm
April 24th, 2008, 09:21 AM
How about java? I was having trouble with java under x64 had to goto the 32bit

I can't say as I at this moment don't use anything that requires Java. But I guess the situation is the same untill Sun pull themself together and releases sun java 1.7 which will support 64-bit.

B3n3v3nt3
April 24th, 2008, 09:26 AM
#ubuntu-release-party has just been silent for more than 5 minutes. What gives?
:(

Go get some beers :)

Lithium17
April 24th, 2008, 09:27 AM
So, when is this available for update? It's the release day already, and I'm still waiting :/

cTn
April 24th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Waiting waiting =(

Killer Cop
April 24th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Also waiting patiently... :popcorn:

Although, I have had Hardy on for several days and it updated yesterday. Anyone who know if there will be any difference from the install I have now and the final release one here?

Lithium17
April 24th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Probably not noticeably different. Just more stable I imagine.

th3james
April 24th, 2008, 09:56 AM
anyone know when the downloads will be upon us?
i wanna get the bittorrent so i can seed it all day
i've been running it since beta, most of the kinks seem to be ironed out, lot of the codec and non free content installation has been made much better, and WUBI really makes this a release to be excited about.
It's almost worth it just for firefox 3, which is amazing!

Google Spider
April 24th, 2008, 09:57 AM
](*,)

HorseFD
April 24th, 2008, 09:59 AM
So just to clarify things, does anyone know what time it's being released?

It's 7pm here in Melbourne, Aus! :tongue:

Atreus12
April 24th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Compared to last time, the forums are rather quiet...

Or maybe we're just getting started?

chewearn
April 24th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Are we there yet? :lol:

Google Spider
April 24th, 2008, 10:05 AM
:-k:-?#-o](*,)

SigmaSanti
April 24th, 2008, 10:08 AM
What fun! Being released today, we dont know when, we dont know where and its going to take time for the torrents to be set up. Mabye I should go back to sleep...

Killer Cop
April 24th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Compared to last time, the forums are rather quiet...

Or maybe we're just getting started?

You know what they say, silence before the storm. ;)

Google Spider
April 24th, 2008, 10:14 AM
You know what they say, silence before the storm. ;)

Have a star :KS

piratesmack
April 24th, 2008, 10:15 AM
[-x[-x[-x[-x[-x[-x](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)

piratesmack
April 24th, 2008, 10:16 AM
awe I can't wait

piratesmack
April 24th, 2008, 10:18 AM
It's not working!!!

sudo apt-get install hardy now!

bigbrovar
April 24th, 2008, 10:20 AM
how i wish i had a senior member of canonical as family ... i probably would be given a copy the final hardy and told to keep it quite

Lithium17
April 24th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Today is going to be a long day.

Killer Cop
April 24th, 2008, 10:22 AM
It's not working!!!

sudo apt-get install hardy now!

Haha, nice one. :P

bigbrovar
April 24th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Lithium17
Re: I Am So Excited For Hardy! Let's Celebrate!
Today is going to be a long day. + so i guess i should go grab a beer .. an watch my favorite Gangster movie Shark Tale .. to kill time ..

piratesmack
April 24th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Haha, nice one. :P

steven@steven-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get moo
[sudo] password for steven:
(__)
(oo)
/------\/
/ | ||
* /\---/\
~~ ~~
...."Have you mooed today?"...
steven@steven-desktop:~$

gaspard.leon
April 24th, 2008, 10:26 AM
time is running out it's 2008-04-24 21:25 here in New Zealand... fortunately it's a holiday tomorrow so I will have time off to install hardy... Hope it's more stable then the beta.. maybe I'll just un-install pulseaudio.. some people are reporting that as a fix for the hanging...

exciting.. my gutsy install will not need to be my main "Stable" OS anymore!!

Atreus12
April 24th, 2008, 10:27 AM
8.04 (non rc) showed up on .pool, so it should be coming shortly.

Images are distributed here so that mirrors can pick them up in time before release. Images here may not be final even if they look as if they are; by distributing pre-release images here we can make final mirroring faster.

Please do not attempt to download images directly from this directory; by doing so, you are likely to contribute to delaying the release for everyone else, since we will have to wait longer for worldwide mirroring to complete.

-- Ubuntu Release Team

natedawg
April 24th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Well since I'm still awake I might as well add my contribution to this epic thread :)

UBUNTU ROCKS! Keep up the great work dev team!

Killer Cop
April 24th, 2008, 10:29 AM
time is running out it's 2008-04-24 21:25 here in New Zealand... fortunately it's a holiday tomorrow so I will have time off to install hardy... Hope it's more stable then the beta.. maybe I'll just un-install pulseaudio.. some people are reporting that as a fix for the hanging...

exciting.. my gutsy install will not need to be my main "Stable" OS anymore!!

Should uninstalling pulse-audio make Hardy more stable (for some)?

jhmiller42
April 24th, 2008, 10:33 AM
It's official. My geekhood is complete -- I'm excited about an operating system release.

Talk about things my wife doesn't understand....

Clydez
April 24th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Next release we want, in addition a release date, a release hour with GMT specification! :lolflag:

It will end that release date in Europe will be the 25th :rolleyes:

Kaparen
April 24th, 2008, 10:55 AM
z0mg.. only 6 months and 1 week until 8.10, I'm so exited!!! When is the alpha out????

piratesmack
April 24th, 2008, 11:04 AM
awwww I want hardy now

Hemmer
April 24th, 2008, 11:10 AM
can't wait! :D

Jouke74
April 24th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I can download it now (The Netherlands +1 GMT).
:)

stefan1975
April 24th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I can download it now (The Netherlands +1 GMT).
:)

me too!
stefan

piratesmack
April 24th, 2008, 11:16 AM
awe no fair

stefan1975
April 24th, 2008, 11:24 AM
awe no fair

what's not fair? you can download it too.

for example on this official mirror:
http://nl.releases.ubuntu.com/releases/8.04/

S

piratesmack
April 24th, 2008, 11:27 AM

S

yeah, but I only get like 5kb/s on that mirror

stefan1975
April 24th, 2008, 11:27 AM
yeah, but I only get like 5kb/s on that mirror

ow that sucks indeed. i was only limited by the fact my dsl speed is "just" 10mbit......

Atreus12
April 24th, 2008, 11:28 AM

S

Before they official announce it, it is still subject to change.

You may end up with a broken image.

stefan1975
April 24th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Before they official announce it, it is still subject to change.

You may end up with a broken image.

theoretically maybe, but not for the last 5 ubuntu and fedora releases. The gold images were uploaded to all mirrors in the course of last night and are *probably* not subject to change anymore, not in a way that apt/yum will not fix anyway.

besides, the date of the files are correct and not modified in the last 10 hours or so, so it is not as if the image is still being uploaded.

stefan

bigbrovar
April 24th, 2008, 11:31 AM
yeah ... but waiting after seeing this is worse ... oh God what should i do .. is this for real ?

Atreus12
April 24th, 2008, 11:31 AM
theoretically maybe, but not for the last 5 ubuntu and fedora releases. The gold images were uploaded to all mirrors in the course of last night and are *probably* not subject to change anymore, not in a way that apt/yum will not fix anyway.

stefan

The issue is that the link will remain the same, but the file may change. Thus, a broken image.

stefan1975
April 24th, 2008, 11:33 AM
The issue is that the link will remain the same, but the file may change. Thus, a broken image.

well safety first i suppose, but i downloaded it anyway and the checksums match perfectly, the image burned perfectly and booted perfectly, that's good enough for me.

5735guy
April 24th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Hardy doesn't excite me at all and far from impressed with RC, I am sticking with the superior Feisty and Gutsy :x

stefan1975
April 24th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Hardy doesn't excite me at all and far from impressed with RC, I am sticking with the superior Feisty and Gutsy :x

well i think it is okay enough. me personally will stick with Arch64 @home and go for Fedora9 @work but for the wife and kids i believe 8.04 will be a very user friendly release.

stefan

shivans
I've been a Ubuntu user since Dapper, switched to Kubuntu for Gutsy and I've so far resisted the urge try any variety of the RC Hardys.
Now I'm at work for the next 6 hours so I'll just have to party on here, and have more fun tonight when it comes to installation.

Goodbye WinDOH, there's no room on my HD partitions for you anymore..

piratesmack
Were no strangers to love
You know the rules and so do i
A full commitments what Im thinking of
You wouldnt get this from any other guy

I just wanna tell you how Im feeling
Gotta make you understand

* never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

Weve know each other for so long
Your hearts been aching
But youre too shy to say it
Inside we both know whats been going on
We know the game and were gonna play it

And if you ask me how Im feeling
Dont tell me youre too blind to see

(* repeat)

Give you up. give you up
Give you up, give you up
Never gonna give
Never gonna give, give you up
Never gonna give
Never gonna give, five you up

I just wanna tell you how Im feeling
Gotta make you understand

Lithium17
April 24th, 2008, 11:38 AM

What?!

When I tried out the LiveCD of the RC two days ago it was clear to see from the outset that it is FAR superior to both Feisty and Gutsy.

I really don't know what RC you must have used...

piratesmack
April 24th, 2008, 11:40 AM
What?!

When I tried out the LiveCD of the RC two days ago it was clear to see from the outset that it is FAR superior to both Feisty and Gutsy.

I really don't know what RC you must have used...

Not everyone is going to have the same experience with Hardy, we're all running it on different hardware.

Some may have tons of problems and some may have no problems

Just like with Vista

jasonwatkins
April 24th, 2008, 11:43 AM
ok, potentially stupid question ..

i'm thinking about downloading and installing the RC of hardy because i'm getting annoyed waiting for the official release (patience is a virtue i know :))

if i do that, how soon after the official release will the updates be available to bring the RC in line with the official release ?

will it be straight away ??

Google Spider
April 24th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I know this has been asked a lot but let me just ask this again:

At what time are they releasing Hardy?

MindFlayer
April 24th, 2008, 11:50 AM

"When it's ready". :tongue:

stefan1975
April 24th, 2008, 11:51 AM

i've seen at least three mirrors where it is available already.

20thCenturyBoy
April 24th, 2008, 11:53 AM
i've seen at least three mirrors where it is available already.

And possibly broken.

I made that mistake last release.

SigmaSanti
April 24th, 2008, 11:53 AM
While there are mirrors... The main website still says "coming soon".:confused:

apothecaryaaron
April 24th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Might as well get myself a post in the "I've been refreshing the main page for hours" thread.

Finishing a 12-hour shift. I have refreshed the main page every 15 mintues since midnight...

I just hope it's ready when I get home so I can start the torrent and go to bed.

It's fun to be excited over Ubuntu, but could someone please explain to my wife why I'm so happy waiting on something that is going to cause me to format all of my computers??

jasonwatkins
so .. can i install the RC and update later then?

i can't see how it will cause any major headaches but then there are more experienced users of linux than me :)

MindFlayer
!!! NOW! :guitar: !!!

JohnSearle
April 24th, 2008, 11:55 AM
While there are mirrors... The main website still says "coming soon".:confused:

Well there is this: http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/8.04/

I believe that is the official site, no?

- John

Lithium17
April 24th, 2008, 12:01 PM

- John

That's interesting. Is it available through the Update Manager yet?

JohnSearle
April 24th, 2008, 12:02 PM
That's interesting. Is it available through the Update Manager yet?

Someone on the Ubuntu IRC channel said it was... I'm just going to do a fresh install, so doesn't really interest me much.

- John

ironclaw
April 24th, 2008, 12:03 PM

- John

I do believe that this is it. I remember that the announcements lagged behind for Gutsy as well.

Downloading right now.

SigmaSanti
April 24th, 2008, 12:05 PM

- John

IT IS, the torrent and download are working. 7hours ETA for download.

Lithium17
April 24th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Someone on the Ubuntu IRC channel said it was... I'm just going to do a fresh install, so doesn't really interest me much.

- John

Excellent. Although now I have to wait until I get home, since the plan was set it to update before I went to work, but it wasn't released :/

american.swan
April 24th, 2008, 12:06 PM

- John

I am going to guess that is it. That is right off the main page. I am downloading the iso from an asian server near me.

dishayu
April 24th, 2008, 12:11 PM
\m/
i'm on it...
3MB done already :D

although the servers are VERY slow, as of now... and it's only expected to go worse...

Google Spider
April 24th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Are the torrents up?

Sef
April 24th, 2008, 12:13 PM

It's not the official site. The official site is will be accessed at once it is released.

mybunche
April 24th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Bring it on !

JohnSearle
April 24th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Are the torrents up?

I've been downloading from the torrent... Seems the swarm is up to 1200 peers, 164 seeders. I'm at 50%, and when I started it was 200 peers, 36 seeders.

EDIT: Just jumped by another 40 peers immediately after I finished typing this.

- John

Google Spider
April 24th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I've been downloading from the torrent... Seems the swarm is up to 1200 peers, 164 seeders. I'm at 50%, and when I started it was 200 peers, 36 seeders.

- John
link please :)

JohnSearle
April 24th, 2008, 12:25 PM
link please :)

Well it's the same one I've been posting...

But the torrent I'm downloading from is: http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/8.04/ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso.torrent

Which is the i386 release.

EDIT: And now is 205 seeders, 1329 peers.

- John

gaspard.leon
April 24th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Should uninstalling pulse-audio make Hardy more stable (for some)?

maybe... it's just the stuttering audio on some systems (like mine)...
If hardy works out of the box for you, you don't need to uninstall anyting..

Don't get me wrong, ubuntu is what I use, and it's really good to be off Windows, I'm excited too, and hope that hardy is as good as (or better then) gutsy!

shootthecore
April 24th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Is it out on the Update Manager yet?

jasonwatkins
April 24th, 2008, 12:31 PM
i'm going for it ..

i have 17 seeds, but a 230kb/s download speed :D

due in 49 minutes .. i'm off to the shops for supplies

LMP900
April 24th, 2008, 12:33 PM

Have you ever been to a party? I think you'll find that people drink and celebrate for no reason all the time. At least today there is a reason.

oCfuu
April 24th, 2008, 12:33 PM
All is well with the normal servers. Pulling it with about 400KB right now. Sadly I can't use Torrents here, so I gotta be a leecher...

20 Minutes to go.

Wobedraggled
April 24th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Roasting up my copy now.

WOOT.

bailout
April 24th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I got the kubuntu torrent from here http://releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/8.04/

Currently downloading but av speed is 34kb/s and at this rate it will take 5.5 hours :( Perhaps try downloading from the servers instead.

gaspard.leon
April 24th, 2008, 12:44 PM
downloading the torrent!! getting 60 to 100 kbit... (in New Zealand)

ETA 2.5 hours

Now I have something to do tomorrow :)

ImpressMe
April 24th, 2008, 12:46 PM

And this time I don't even know why I should upgrade. There is not much to celebrate. I will perhaps celebrate that I will skip the "press update and then see the update go wrong, reinstall everything and loose precious youth installing software".

It is SPRING! Get out and waste time on Linux when darkness and winter returns.

Patch Adams
April 24th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Well Its already the 25th in New Zealand and although I can see it on the NZ mirror all I want is the update which isn't in update manager so looks like ill have to wait and see if its here in the morning

american.swan
April 24th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I saw the release link like everyone else.

I went to an asian server near me and downloaded the 700MB in no time at all.

chewearn
April 24th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Wooot, I turned my back for a second and the iso is out? Right on time; it's usually around noon UTC on release date.

jasonwatkins
April 24th, 2008, 02:11 PM
i dunno .. i download the one from earlier in this thread and the site updates with the 'official' release.

well i'm running hardy either way now and it's great .. was on mint for a while but now back with ubuntu .. woohoo

Joeb454
April 24th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I've been running Hardy final for at least 25 hours already ;)

The updates were locked down around 11am GMT on the 23rd, so if your system was up-to-date yesterday, you're running Hardy already.

BUT, I have a few machines to install it on now...I'll be seeding the torrents most of the day

sefs
April 24th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Well looks like it's offically out and the main site is down already LOL.

Ozor Mox
April 24th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Well looks like it's offically out and the main site is down already LOL.

Yeah I'm getting the advert banner (funny by the way :)) and the stuff that usually appears down the left hand side sort of overlapping to the right of the advert, and nothing else! Heheh!

El Lance-O
April 24th, 2008, 02:24 PM
YES! IT IS HERE! I'm here in Alaska, and it JUST showed up.

I've been impatiently waiting for this, as I am a very huge supporter of the linux movement, and Ubuntu has been my choice since the first day I tried open source two years ago with Dapper.

This is a very big day, and it will change a lot. My 18th birthday is in 6 days, so April this year is good. A lot of change for the better and happy days for all.

Good luck to everyone installing/upgrading, I hope everything goes well and may this be the biggest release EVER!

acelin
April 24th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Whoooo Hooooooooo! I jsut downloaded the ISO- and it only took 5 minutes!

GOROSSI
April 24th, 2008, 02:52 PM
35% and counting soon will install as soon as it's down I backed up my stuff last night and Hopefully I will see the Spinning cube of Compiz for the first time in ages as my new laptop runs a intel 965.

Ozor Mox
April 24th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Whoooo Hooooooooo! I jsut downloaded the ISO- and it only took 5 minutes!

You git! ;)

Been downloading for 1 hour and I'm on 40% :( Though my transfer speed seems to be slowly climbing...

m.musashi
April 24th, 2008, 04:05 PM
What happened? I expected to wake up to 2000 new posts but only 200. I think they released it too soon :). Not enough anticipation.

bruce89
April 24th, 2008, 04:13 PM
You git! ;)

Been downloading for 1 hour and I'm on 40% :( Though my transfer speed seems to be slowly climbing...

You're a version control system too. I've been on the go for 2 hours, and I'm on 5.3%.

acelin
April 24th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I think we have a lot of people who already knew about it- and a lot of new people who werent going to post in the water cooler. Alos last year, it wasnt actually released until late in the day.

sports fan Matt
April 24th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Why weould anyone take the time to download a bittorrent when a system is fully patched anyway..if its fully patched, youre essentally running the LTS of 8.04, right?

Ohioan
April 24th, 2008, 04:23 PM

It's easy to tell Americans when they make statements like this. We think we have all these rights that frankly don't really exist in the rest of the world.

You have the ABILITY to say what you want, but this is the Internet, not the United States. And as much as it might be hard for you to realize, you have no freedom of speech here.

But, since WE'RE open minded people who know how to ignore morons, we'll let you spout all you wish.

Tom Mann
April 24th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Why weould anyone take the time to download a bittorrent when a system is fully patched anyway..if its fully patched, youre essentally running the LTS of 8.04, right?

I'm doing this - in this specific instance - with both 32bit and 64bit versions with the sole intention of seeding. Any little helps right? :)

(Plus I just got a black 4G eeePC and I want Ubuntu on it!)

elamericano
April 24th, 2008, 04:33 PM
This thread can't compare to last year's. I'd have thought an LTS would be more interesting to people. Plus, the codename is less stupid, but people loved gutsy.

http://ph.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?t=578328&page=260

Ozor Mox
April 24th, 2008, 04:51 PM
You're a version control system too. I've been on the go for 2 hours, and I'm on 5.3%.

Haha, had to look up 'git' on Google to see what you were on about! Rubbish download speed you have there, but you are now way ahead of me again. Burnt 8.04 to disc, rebooted...

"Ubuntu has been started in safe graphics mode because your graphics card and monitor were not detected"

Damnit, this didn't happen with Gutsy! Oh well, it should still start, click continue... Nothing! :mad:

Better start the alternate CD downloading :cry::cry::cry:

Perfect Storm
April 24th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I'll just pop in to remind people to go for torrent download, thereafter do a little share to make it the process a little less painfull for all.

*A.I. Pops out*

kinematic
April 24th, 2008, 05:22 PM
It's easy to tell Americans when they make statements like this. We think we have all these rights that frankly don't really exist in the rest of the world.

You have the ABILITY to say what you want, but this is the Internet, not the United States. And as much as it might be hard for you to realize, you have no freedom of speech here.

But, since WE'RE open minded people who know how to ignore morons, we'll let you spout all you wish.

I'm not an American, I'm Dutch. This fact makes you close minded since you jump straight to false conclusions on the basis of a couple of sentences.

elamericano
April 24th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Hah! That'll show the Ohioan. It's so like the Americans to generalize about other people based on their nationality. Why just the other day... oh, wait... I think I might have... um, never mind.

Nano Geek
April 24th, 2008, 06:12 PM
98% Downloaded!

Come on hardy!

UPDATE: Yay! Hardy's here!

PARTY!

5735guy
April 24th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Countback to Gutsy. Hardy not impressed:mad::mad:

bigbrovar
April 24th, 2008, 06:53 PM
70% come on hardy !

Vorian Grey
April 24th, 2008, 07:09 PM
After missing out on the fun for both 7.04 and 7.10 I feel like partying because Ubuntu finally works for me again. It's so good to be back home.

Fedz
April 24th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I'm sat here seriously waitng by downloading 8.04 LTS (Hardy Heron) the old fasioned way:
System > Admin > Update Manager !!!!

Thank-you Canonical and developers - genuinely deeply appreciated :)

Tom Mann
April 28th, 2008, 08:32 AM
steven@steven-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get moo
[sudo] password for steven:
(__)
(oo)
/------\/
/ | ||
* /\---/\
~~ ~~
...."Have you mooed today?"...
steven@steven-desktop:~$

mrguitarmann@TGM-PC:~$ ip moo

_ __ ___ ___ ___
| '_ ` _ \ / _ \ / _ \
| | | | | | (_) | (_) |
|_| |_| |_|\___/ \___/

P.S. no real cows were harmed for this moo

quinnten83
April 28th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I'm not an American, I'm Dutch. This fact makes you close minded since you jump straight to false conclusions on the basis of a couple of sentences.

Still not much better of, are we??