PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Google works but nothing else.

viceroy
April 22nd, 2008, 08:15 PM
Hey this is probably something easy to fix but I can't put my finger on the problem. Does anyone know why google is the only site that works for me? I'm using 8.04 on the desktop.

stormtrooprdave
April 22nd, 2008, 08:24 PM
I have exactly the same problem. Just installed 8.04 and I can search for anything on google and it appears but I cannot access any other website.

viceroy
April 22nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
What do I do? It doesn't make since because the internet is obviously working it just stops loading the page.

AngryAmoeba
April 22nd, 2008, 08:38 PM
If I'm not mistaken doesn't that mean that there is something wrong with your internet connection? If Google is your homepage, lots of times it will show up whether you are connected to the internet or not.

stormtrooprdave
April 22nd, 2008, 08:43 PM
If I'm not mistaken doesn't that mean that there is something wrong with your internet connection? If Google is your homepage, lots of times it will show up whether you are connected to the internet or not.
The internet is working as anything I search for will show up as a google search results page. If I click on any of the links however none of them will load. Same if I type anything into teh address bar it will not load. I can only search for things on google

viceroy
April 22nd, 2008, 08:43 PM
But I can do searches on anything you can think of and google shows results plus the computer I'm on right now is on the same connection. I even tried hooking up the rj 45 straight the the ethernet on the pc from the modem but still nothing. My other ubuntu pc has no problems with the wired connection either.

viceroy
April 22nd, 2008, 08:49 PM
If anyone out there has a sis191 ethernet adapter that is working with ubuntu it would be nice to know how you got it working. I've tried on 3 different distro and had no luck with any solutions. And why the heck would google work in the first place if this card is not compatible?

ilcarlos
April 22nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
If you can't access the web through Firefox, though you know you have an internet connection via your modem/router try the following:

Enter about:config in Firefox's address field.

Enter ipv6 in the new Filter: field.

Double click on the line left in the display window to change it's boolean value to true.

Restart Firefox.

& that should be that... :KS

This should help you.