PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] screen resolution

mkeithcloud
April 22nd, 2008, 05:23 PM
I recently installed Ubuntu 7.10 on my laptop and the graphics card was labeled a "restricted driver". It installed fine and the screen resolution is fine on the desktop but at the logon screen, the resolution is set to something lower like 640x480 or something. Is there any way to change this?

Jammy4041
April 22nd, 2008, 05:31 PM
Can you still see the panel? If you can, go System...> Preferences...>Screen Resolution. If it's not under that, try under Screens and Graphics (again under System > Preferences)

I think...

wolfen69
April 22nd, 2008, 05:36 PM
open terminal and:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

mkeithcloud
April 22nd, 2008, 05:52 PM
I tried the sudo command and it let me pick a graphics card model and resolution for that config file. After I reboot to test it, Ubuntu will not load the GUI. I tried to log in from the command line and run startx but it comes back with:

fatal server error
no screens found
X10: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0:0" after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

Any ideas????

jaytek13
April 22nd, 2008, 05:55 PM
Oh my... Unfortunately I cannot suggest anything, but this should be a lesson for some posters here. While you may be trying to help, sometime your methods can be detrimental. Preferably we should all be following the 'kiss' procedure. There was no reason to reconfigure the entire x server just to change the resolution.

banished_one
April 22nd, 2008, 06:09 PM
<Ctrl><Left-Alt><F1> to change to a virtual terminal

to back up the settings kinda file use
sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_backup

if anything goes wrong use this to replace
sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf_backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf

use this to change the settings
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg