PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu 8.04 to test or not to test?

lunaluna
April 22nd, 2008, 04:35 PM
i been thinking about installing the 8.04 beta release...
but i'd like some opinios from people that have already tried it...
So i'll know if it is really unstable or not.
because i'd like to use it for some it for some(not so important) work,media etc

OffAxis
April 22nd, 2008, 04:37 PM
The full blown release is only 2 days away...

bobbocanfly
April 22nd, 2008, 04:41 PM
It is at Release Candidate stage at the moment so nothing major is going to change in the next 2 days and most breakages (for most people) have been fixed/worked around.

It is probably safe to run it, though if you have important data you need to keep safe you might be better waiting a week or two while the masses find the remaining bugs.

billgoldberg
April 22nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
i been thinking about installing the 8.04 beta release...
but i'd like some opinios from people that have already tried it...
So i'll know if it is really unstable or not.
because i'd like to use it for some it for some(not so important) work,media etc

Hardy Heron isn't in beta stage anymore. The RC (release candidate) is out and the official release will be in two days. I suggest to wait a week and then install it.

Cypher
April 22nd, 2008, 04:45 PM
Seeing as the release is only a couple of days away, you're better of waiting to upgrade..Hardy might be in RC stage, but it's still Beta..

lunaluna
April 22nd, 2008, 04:46 PM
oh...so in 2 day the new official release is here...?
NICE :D

proalan
April 22nd, 2008, 04:50 PM
The choice is yours but I say go for it

I put it on my laptop 2 days ago. Can't see there being any major changes from the final release.

I think it would be a good idea to upgrade now or a few days after the official release. The ubuntu servers get hammered on release dates, best to avoid the congestion.

Good luck

tyroeternal
April 22nd, 2008, 04:54 PM
Personally I enjoy the beta and RC releases. I typically leave room on my drive for another partition so I can mess around with things like other distros or pre-release versions. This latest beta ran smooth for me, the only real downside is the occasional hiccup and the constant updating that you need to keep on top of. If you like to tinker around or look at what is soon to come you should definitely make room on your drive for the next release. Although, if you have any attachment to your data, never put all your eggs in one basket when it comes to upgrading your primary install to an unstable development version.

jaytek13
April 22nd, 2008, 05:14 PM
If you download the rc version right now and do an update in 2 days, technically any updates that occur will bring your system up to date to the actual release version. There's really no particular reason to wait a day and a half.

myddewji13
April 22nd, 2008, 05:37 PM
If You're worried then don't be...hardy is pretty stable even now...i've been running the beta since the day it came out and it works well...although it crashed once...and i was able to recover which is pretty good for someone who didn't know what linux was until january this yr...so...go ahead..its pretty safe in my opinion..

Joeb454
April 22nd, 2008, 05:40 PM
Usually I'd encourage you to use torrent's to try and save the Ubuntu server's bandwidth over the coming weekend :)

daverich
April 22nd, 2008, 06:18 PM
is it possible to upgrade with a torrent or do you have to install fresh?

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Joeb454
April 22nd, 2008, 06:22 PM
You download the CD Image from a torrent, and then you burn it to a disc :) Usually that's for a fresh install.

If you want to upgrade you can just use the Update-Manager, though remember to back-up all your data before you begin!