PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Desktop icons for mounts

Kissell
April 22nd, 2008, 12:17 PM
Can someone please explain whats going on in the mounting and the icons?

I have a few issues related to that.

1) i have manually mounted a raid-6 volume under /mnt/san0 but it doesn't get an icon. :(

2) I have an icon popping up for a data partition of my hard disk, and it's auto-labelling it by the size of the partition... i'd like to be able to change the label of that icon.

There are more, but I think if I understood how to deal with these two things then I could figure the others out.

mikeyphi
April 22nd, 2008, 03:56 PM
Have a look at this guide - and ask again if necessary!
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountlinux

billgoldberg
April 22nd, 2008, 04:42 PM
I find it easier to don't let any icons appear on the desktop and open the drives/partition using the file manager.

You'll need to go to the gconf menu( in a terminal type "gksudo gconf-editor" and then go to "apps -> nautilus -> desktop".

There might be a way to change the label somewhere in there to.

Kissell
April 23rd, 2008, 11:19 PM
Have a look at this guide - and ask again if necessary!
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountlinux

I know how to do the stuff in that guide, I can mount things... my question is more of how do I get those mounts to show up under the PLACES menu? and where do the automatically mounted things under the places menu get their names from?

Paqman
April 23rd, 2008, 11:23 PM
1) i have manually mounted a raid-6 volume under /mnt/san0 but it doesn't get an icon. :(

If you mount it to /media/san0 instead, you'll get an icon for it on the desktop.

Kissell
April 23rd, 2008, 11:27 PM
oh, okay...

so the things in /media auto-iconify?

I had considered that, and i thought I tried that, but it didn't work... but I didn't reboot or restart any service either, i simply manually mapped it from the command line and checked immediately... I'll try it when I get back there and see if it works after a reboot.

at what point does it auto-iconify? or how long does it take to do it "live", or how can i force it to check the /media folder for things it should make links to?

Paqman
April 23rd, 2008, 11:34 PM
Do you really need to mount it from the command line anyway? If you add an entry for it to /etc/fstab it'll mount automatically during boot.

Kissell
April 24th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Yeah, now that it's in fstab it mounts on it's own at boot... i just did it manually for the first time and while i've been messing with it trying to make an icon automatically show up like it does when I insert a usb drive.