PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Firefox 3 hangs intolerably on Xubuntu 8.04 RC

BrendanM
April 22nd, 2008, 11:54 AM
I just updated to 8.04, and for some reason FF 3 Beta 5 hangs horribly every minute or so. The little loading logo stops spinning, I can't open any pulldown menus or even switch between tabs. Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be any spike in CPU usage, and other programs respond normally during the freeze. Needless to say, it's super irritating.

This occurs even in safe mode with all extensions disabled, and with flash player uninstalled.

I switched over to Opera, which is a perfectly acceptable substitute, but firefox is my prefered browser and I really do hope they fix this glitch in a future update.

madsmeg
April 22nd, 2008, 11:59 AM
Unfortunately that is the problem when running a beta, i still have a few issues with mine too. you using Opera on 64 bit Hardy? if so, did you compile yourself or get a .deb from somewhere.

Mad

BrendanM
April 22nd, 2008, 12:03 PM
No, just 32-bit Hardy. Sorry. I installed Opera from the repos. I wonder if it's worth filing a bug report for Firefox. Maybe I'll wait until the final release, and report it then if it's still an issue.

madsmeg
April 22nd, 2008, 12:12 PM
Gah, i was hoping then :) been looking at getting Opera on my 64 bit, but no luck yet, i will be honest i have not tried hard :)

as regaurds to a bug report, i am thinking about it, i dont think FF3 should be released with Hardy unless it is 100% stable, or there will be many un-happy people with little tolerance.

rafaelcapanema
April 25th, 2008, 02:35 AM
Same here (except I'm on Ubuntu, not Xubuntu). The fact it doesn't mess with the CPU also intrigues me. It happens on the first few minutes of use, then it stops. But still very annoying.

doctapeppa
April 25th, 2008, 05:17 AM
I just updated to 8.04, and for some reason FF 3 Beta 5 hangs horribly every minute or so. The little loading logo stops spinning, I can't open any pulldown menus or even switch between tabs. Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be any spike in CPU usage, and other programs respond normally during the freeze. Needless to say, it's super irritating.

This occurs even in safe mode with all extensions disabled, and with flash player uninstalled.

I switched over to Opera, which is a perfectly acceptable substitute, but firefox is my prefered browser and I really do hope they fix this glitch in a future update.

Why not just replace firefox 3 with good ole, stable firefox2?

gtdaqua
April 25th, 2008, 05:32 AM
actually FF 3b5 is quite stable for me! beta 3 and 4 were a pain in the neck that I really wanted to go back to Gutsy. But Firefox 3 is getting better with each update.

freak42
June 14th, 2008, 05:08 PM
same problem here (no cpu spike),.. ff just stops (in the middle of a page download.. sits there for 1-2 minutes,.. then continues as nothing ever were wrong.
the update to the rc1 (I think) didn't help.

ferrouswheel
July 20th, 2008, 09:02 AM
ditto

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008061017 Firefox/3.0

seems to also make pidgin hang too... so perhaps it's not firefox but a library?

atatistcheff
July 21st, 2008, 12:35 AM
My Hardy install of FF3 just started doing this. Used to work fine but now it just hangs, hard drive light on almost solid. Sometimes it comes back, sometimes I don't have the patience to wait for it. VERY FRUSTRATING!