PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Tascam US122 under Hardy - No Initialization

drewdlephone
April 22nd, 2008, 08:13 AM
Hey all. I know there are many how-tos on this subject, and I have gone over all of them, and am at a halt here. The two pieces of software required to make the Tascam work, the ALSA firmware and the usx2yloader, are both updated to the newest versions (1.0.15 & 0.1b, respectively), and yet I can't get an initialization to go through. When I type:

usx2yloader

I get this output:

usx2yloader: no usx2y compatible cards found

I'm also having an issue with bus support. I know my motherboard is working fine from a USB standpoint, as I've tested with other devices and had success. But every time I try the initialization command, the bus number on the card changes. So whereas I was at /002/002 when I first tried it, I was at 002/003 afterwards. Here's the output from both the audio card query and lsusb.

drew@GiR:~$ lsusb
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 058f:9360 Alcor Micro Corp. 8-in-1 Media Card Reader
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 1604:8007 Tascam US-122 Audio/Midi Interface
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

drew@GiR:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [IXP ]: ATIIXP - ATI IXP
ATI IXP rev 2 with ALC658D at 0xfe02a000, irq 22
1 [USX2Y ]: USB US-X2Y - TASCAM US-X2Y
TASCAM US-X2Y (1604:8007 if 0 at 001/006)

I had this working under Gutsy no problem; I followed the Community Documentation on getting it working, both times with success. So I'm at a bit of a loss here. Especially considering the system sees it under CAT as a USX2Y card, but the initializer says I don't have a compatible card. Anyone have any experience with this?

*Please note, this is a repost of a thread I created two hours before the board went down for maintenance and my question ended up archived. :) Any help is appreciated, as I still don't have it working.*

energymomentum
April 29th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Hi, the error message you are getting is probably due to the change in the default firmware location usx2yloader assumes. I used to have the same error before I found the workaround, which is explained in this thread of mine (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=734730).

The incremental change of the bus number is the normal behavior and nothing to worry about. The udev rule in this thread for Feisty (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=431066) is still good for Hardy.

fxw1121
April 29th, 2008, 08:32 AM
The incremental change of the bus number is the normal behavior and nothing to worry about. The udev rule in this thread for Feisty is still good for Hardy.

altropianeta
April 29th, 2008, 12:25 PM
...but I've discovered that I can't send private messages to anybody, here, because I'm a new user of these forums. So...

SFN shoud be the creator of the official wiki of Tascam US-122 soundcard under ubuntu. Please read the private message I was tryin' to send him. Here we go:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi! Sorry for my English, I'm Italian. Please have a look at here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TASCAM_US-122

Are you the creator of this tutorial, right? Could you please update it? I think that under ubuntu 8.04 something has changed and the soundcard does not work with old tutorials... Neither with this one:

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Tascam_US-122

I'm not an expert, and I think that a new tutorial should be useful for a lot of people like me. Actually I've found a couple of threads about this matter... But something was wrong with me. Can you help me, please? Now the green light of my Tascam us-122 is on and if I open an mp3 file it does work, but I get no sound if I watch a Youtube video (I use Firefox)... And even when I log in the system I get no sound (you know, when you have to type your user name and your password, you should ear a beat of a tribal drum and whatever).

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Filippo

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If anybody of you has a suggestion for me I will be very happy... And let's hope that mr. SFN should read this post!

;)

SFN
May 9th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Hi. Just found this.

Although I am the creator of the original HOWTO, I don't use the US-122 anymore. Having said that, I would imagine that if anything changed it would only be the particular files to download.

Beyond that, I can't really provide much assistance anymore.