PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] apt-get doesn't wait for confirmation

rockhopper
April 22nd, 2008, 06:18 AM
When I try to use apt-get for any job, it behaves as if I have the "enter" key pressed and does not ask for any future confirmations *automatically assumes default answer and prints a lot of blank lines similar to the case if I really have had the enter key pressed) I am sure that there is no problem with my "enter" key: it works fine with all other CLI applications.

Is this a known problem?

adityakavoor
April 22nd, 2008, 12:41 PM
The first time you enter something using apt-get, it asks confirmation. The next time you try using apt-get, it doesn't ask.

rockhopper
April 22nd, 2008, 12:49 PM
Perhaps I did not make myself clear. The problem is certainly not a feature of apt-get where it remembers my previous response and automatically assumes yes.

The problem is similar to the case where the enter key on your keyboard is stuck and lot's of enters are being sent to the command line interface. For a proof of this, here is what happens, I do "sudo apt-get install <package>; I get lots of blank lines, the program asks for a confirmation: but since it behaves as if the enter key was being pressed, it passes the confirmation without waiting for my actual response.

steeldriver
February 23rd, 2013, 10:06 PM
Do you have an /etc/apt/apt.conf file? it's possible that an APT::Get::Assume-Yes option is set there

matt_symes
February 23rd, 2013, 10:08 PM
This is a 4 year old thread. Ancient. Thread closed.