PDA

View Full Version : How do you like the prefixes?

vishzilla
April 22nd, 2008, 04:58 AM
Thread title has the options of adding prefixes. I feel they can change the color of the prefixed word. The thread titles are ambiguous with the prefixes.

hanzj
April 22nd, 2008, 06:13 AM
Sounds like a good suggestion.

TeraDyne
April 22nd, 2008, 06:20 AM
Another option would be to surround it with brackets.

However, I like the colored prefixes. Maybe color coding, like brown for Ubuntu, blue for Kubuntu, ??? for Xubuntu (not sure what it's associated color would be), etc... A quick look at the prefix would be all that's needed to know what it's for.

vishzilla
April 22nd, 2008, 09:44 AM
Icons instead of the name for Ubuntu, Kubuntu or Xubuntu!!!

aidave
April 22nd, 2008, 09:01 PM
I personally dont like them, they are redundant to many of the forums/threads. Unless you are in the "Desktop Effects" forum or something, who cares if its about Ubuntu/Kubuntu/etc. Everything is gonna be 95% "ubuntu".

LaRoza
April 22nd, 2008, 09:07 PM
I personally dont like them, they are redundant to many of the forums/threads. Unless you are in the "Desktop Effects" forum or something, who cares if its about Ubuntu/Kubuntu/etc. Everything is gonna be 95% "ubuntu".

The prefixes will likely change. There is still a lot to do.

reacocard
April 23rd, 2008, 02:10 AM
Color coding sounds good, it'd be a very clear visual indicator.

I'd also suggest having a null or all prefix for things that aren't tied down to a specific version, like my AWN guide (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=762363).

Jadd
May 31st, 2008, 04:00 PM
The prefixes will likely change. There is still a lot to do.
Thanks, just for giving me hope.

Joeb454
May 31st, 2008, 04:46 PM
This was in April - they've changed quite a bit since then.

Wim Sturkenboom
June 2nd, 2008, 08:21 AM
Distro versions (e.g 8.04 or Dapper Drake) are more usefull in my opinion.

Sorry for late feedback, but I usually don't visit this area of the forums.

hyper_ch
June 2nd, 2008, 02:19 PM
I have to agree with Wim. It doesn't matter so much whether you use K/X/Edu/.../buntu but much more what version you're using.

Besides, I meanwhile have blended the prefixes out (in my eyes) when I view the thread list.

cyberdork33
June 2nd, 2008, 08:19 PM
Distro versions (e.g 8.04 or Dapper Drake) are more usefull in my opinion.
This is a very good suggestion. The base OS is not that different between Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu, etc. The release versions can be quite different though.

bapoumba
June 3rd, 2008, 07:14 AM
Release versions could work as tags. They are next to the thread title now, so at one glance you can know which flavor and which version of Ubuntu the thread is about.

hyper_ch
June 3rd, 2008, 07:23 AM
well, then I have to say with all the tags and prefixes the actual thread title somewhat gets lost... it gets all cluttered and untidy...

loell
June 3rd, 2008, 07:30 AM
well, then I have to say with all the tags and prefixes the actual thread title somewhat gets lost... it gets all cluttered and untidy...

I have to say I agree.

on personal preference I like the old style , where theres no prefixes and tags at all.

noynac
June 3rd, 2008, 09:34 PM
I have to say I agree. on personal preference I like the old style , where theres no prefixes and tags at all.

I dislike tags, and I absolutely detest those infernal mouseovers, but I've almost come to like the prefixes. I normally assume that people are using Ubuntu, only to find out down the road they are running Kubuntu, which can in some instances have a major impact on how I respond to their post.