PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Auto-Organize music library with Amarok

Meph1st0
April 22nd, 2008, 04:40 AM
Is there a way to get Amarok to auto-organize my music directory? This is a feature that I've come to really appreciate with iTunes.

SOULRiDER
April 22nd, 2008, 04:47 AM
Auto-organize as in what? Amarok will sort all music by Artist and Albums. It can also tell when an album has Various Artists.

ace007
April 22nd, 2008, 04:49 AM
I'm not using Ubuntu right now, but I seem to remember there is a way to organize the library. I think you go to manage files and organize. I think you highlight the whole library or something and click organize?

Or maybe it was scan library and organize files.

But there is definitively a way. If you haven't found it out by the next time I open Amarok, I'll let you know.

Meph1st0
April 22nd, 2008, 04:51 AM
Auto organize the directory structure. Basically, if I would import some new music, Itunes would automatically create a folder for the artist name and then a subfolder for the album name and put the files in there.

And then if, for example, I edited the ID3 tags and set all the files as a compilation, it'd move the album out of the folder it was in and put it in a compilations folder under my music folder.

ace007
April 22nd, 2008, 04:51 AM
EDIT: See my last post for the answer

SOULRiDER
April 22nd, 2008, 04:57 AM
Auto organize the directory structure. Basically, if I would import some new music, Itunes would automatically create a folder for the artist name and then a subfolder for the album name and put the files in there.

And then if, for example, I edited the ID3 tags and set all the files as a compilation, it'd move the album out of the folder it was in and put it in a compilations folder under my music folder.

Thats very interesting, I never thought of a feature like that. I could find it rather useful actually... I hope its implemented. If someone finds out how to do it, please post.

ace007
April 22nd, 2008, 05:05 AM
Yeah, I was correct the first time. You can choose to organize files by right clicking on them. So, I guess you select all in your collection (this nearly froze my computer) and right click, manage files, organize. A dialog box will appear with a bunch of options. There it is.

SOULRiDER
April 22nd, 2008, 05:11 AM
Yes, that works! You dont need to add all songs toy our playlist though, you can do it from the collection menu, just select the first artist, hold shift and select the las tone, then right click > Manage files > Organize.

Thats one hell of a feature, but it should be placed elsewhere IMO.

EDIT: Meph1st0 dont forget to mark the thread as solved, you can do that from the Thread tools menu at the top of the page.

Meph1st0
April 22nd, 2008, 05:53 AM
Is there supposed to be an option that says "mark as solved" in the thread tools menu? If so, I don't see it.

Thanks ace007 for the answer.

SkyScrap
June 12th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Actually it's not solved. While you can organize your files that are in the library, it would be nice if
* Amarok continuously scans the disk (which it does)
* add new items to the library (does it too)
* aligns the path to the file (that does not work).