PDA

View Full Version : so u like or not the new forum look ?

madjr
April 22nd, 2008, 04:27 AM
let see em votes rolling

personally i don't mind but is too white, i like it more brown.

This theme is kinda harder on the eyes, specially since we practically live here in the forums

solitaire
April 22nd, 2008, 04:30 AM
It's gonna have to grow on me i think....

The new theme feels to cleancut..

But it's not as bad as i feared :D

cardinals_fan
April 22nd, 2008, 04:33 AM
I love it, except the pop-up-shadow-attached-image-opener-thing. It's horrid.

Kingsley
April 22nd, 2008, 04:36 AM
I'd marry it.

vishzilla
April 22nd, 2008, 04:37 AM
The color scheme is ok and the font is too large to my liking. Its not yet perfect, more tweaking to be done. On the whole, its a welcome change

SunnyRabbiera
April 22nd, 2008, 04:38 AM
some ways I like it, others I dont.
I miss the little search function in the upper right corner and the theme itself seems too compact.

-grubby
April 22nd, 2008, 04:41 AM
I'd marry it.

I agree with that statement

tango_ninja
April 22nd, 2008, 04:42 AM
it's nice. a lot more clean-cut than previous (which is a good thing) :)

SomeGuyDude
April 22nd, 2008, 04:43 AM
It's HUGE. Takes up FAR more screen space than the other one did. I like the general shape and flow of it, but compress it more!

vishzilla
and one more.. space wasted below the signature!!!

Can+~
I would like a less brighter background color, like an almost white color, like this one:

COLOR TEST ASDSADDSASADASD #EEEEEE

And the color of the links, as I've stated on two different posts without much attention, that are black, making them invisible (link example (http://www.google.com)).

Overall, is refreshing. But it's day one, so there is still room for repair.

Thanks Admins =).

DUfire
April 22nd, 2008, 04:59 AM
It's definitely slower on my PC.
And that's really the determining factor that makes me not like it.

Layout wise it looks good, if it only didn't take a minute to load the whole page layout.
Maybe it'll improve over time...

Also, does anyone know if they plan on adding back the 'Thanked' X number of times thing?

Chilli Bob
April 22nd, 2008, 05:04 AM
It leaves too much white space in each post.

Oh, and needs more brown.

It's not bad though

machoo02
April 22nd, 2008, 05:11 AM
I have to agree with the sizing issue...there's too much whitespace for each post. I do like the new colorscheme/font.

jcwmoore
April 22nd, 2008, 05:12 AM
looks sharp, but i'm disappointed. i've lost 2 or 3 search post before i have to scroll down, i hate wasted vertical retail (screen) space...

TeraDyne
April 22nd, 2008, 05:20 AM
Wow, this has more whitespace than many of my scripts.

Please, change it back. I'd rather have the OMG Pink Ponies text than this. It's just... It's hard, almost painful, to even read a thread.

1) Put the user info back on top. It's more efficient, and it looks much nicer. Plus, having it on the side is what's causing the whitespace.

2) The topic lists have WAY too much wasted space. They... Lets just say the old way looked much nicer.

3) The links now look like regular text. That's a major design problem, and confusing for new users. Please, fix that by making them underlined again.

Edit: Spelling corrections. Heh, Majro... Majiiro?

KiwiNZ
April 22nd, 2008, 05:24 AM
Folks , you need to give your self time to get used to it .

The last time we updated to the previous theme , we had heaps of cries of anguish Of please change back. Yet now folks want that theme back .

So please give it time . A lot of work has gone into this , so you should give the polite time to test and try.

vishzilla
April 22nd, 2008, 05:29 AM

The last time we updated to the previous theme , we had heaps of cries of anguish Of please change back. Yet now folks want that theme back .

So please give it time . A lot of work has gone into this , so you should give the polite time to test and try.

The usual hue and cry! :D

TeraDyne
April 22nd, 2008, 05:32 AM

Actually, I like the basic design, but the whitespace is driving me nuts. I have to constantly use the page down key to see the next 2(!) posts, where I could easily read multiple (3-5) small posts on one page prior to the change. It's just... inefficient in my eyes.

Anduu
April 22nd, 2008, 05:33 AM
It's a sharp looking them however I have to agree there is too much wasted space and links should be colored.

PurposeOfReason
April 22nd, 2008, 05:39 AM
It is a nice look overall, but too bloated for my tastes. Maybe it's just me, but I love the arch forums as they are simple and do the job of a forum. I don't need anything fancy, I need information. ;)

http://bbs.archlinux.org/

EDIT - I really do like the avatar and info being on the left though.

djrobthaman
April 22nd, 2008, 05:55 AM
I guess I could live with the new look (I really prefer the old one though) but already I miss the "Find your threads" / "Find your posts" option in the search menu.

I used them all the time. I don't know how I'm gonna live without them.

LaRoza
April 22nd, 2008, 06:05 AM
I guess I could live with the new look (I really prefer the old one though) but already I miss the "Find your threads" / "Find your posts" option in the search menu.

I used them all the time. I don't know how I'm gonna live without them.

Relax, not everything is finished.

FredB
April 22nd, 2008, 06:07 AM
Not too bad. Let's just wait for end of work before being rude to forum coders.

perce
April 22nd, 2008, 06:18 AM
The look itself is not too bad, but the fonts are annoying. It may be a problem in my configuration though.

sirlancelot
April 22nd, 2008, 06:19 AM
I think the gradient background of the old one was really slick. I think bringing that back would make it look loads nicer :)

Generally a good layout, but the home page looks like it's missing a lot of information that the old one had; mostly just because there's so much whitespace. I'm sure it has all the same information...

It just needs to be compressed a little. But this is going to be the last of my complaints on a free service!

mysticmatrix
April 22nd, 2008, 06:21 AM
Can't we have an option to keep previous look till this one is perfected???

Just to add, new fonts are great!!!

toupeiro
April 22nd, 2008, 06:25 AM
Great Job! I love the new look

LaRoza
April 22nd, 2008, 06:27 AM
Can't we have an option to keep previous look till this one is perfected???

Just to add, new fonts are great!!!

No. This is new software and the themes aren't compatible. This theme had to be rebuilt by ubuntu-geek from scratch, which is why it isn't as polished yet.

earobinson
April 22nd, 2008, 06:32 AM
Guess the old one was better but im sure i can get used to this one

chewearn
April 22nd, 2008, 06:36 AM
I prefer tall skinny font of the previous theme.

The font of the new theme is too fat and round.

LaRoza
April 22nd, 2008, 06:38 AM
The fonts are the same for me...

mivo
April 22nd, 2008, 06:41 AM
I actually didn't mean to click "hate it", but "don't like it" (voting before a coffee is a bad idea), but anyway ... I like the new fonts. These definitely work (look sharper) much better for me. I don't really like the layout, though, and find it much harder to read. Especially the forum overview used to be more compact and better structured. Too much white. The "thank you" option seems gone as well.

LaRoza
April 22nd, 2008, 06:42 AM
I actually didn't mean to click "hate it", but "don't like it" (voting before a coffee is a bad idea), but anyway ... I like the new fonts. These definitely work (look sharper) much better for me. I don't really like the layout, though, and find it much harder to read. Especially the forum overview used to be more compact and better structured. Too much white. The "thank you" option seems gone as well.

I am sure the theme will be tweaked for better contrast, and the Thanks will be back soon. See FAQ.

conehead77
April 22nd, 2008, 06:44 AM
It's HUGE. Takes up FAR more screen space than the other one did. I like the general shape and flow of it, but compress it more!

thats what i wanted to say. i like many information on my screen

Saint Angeles
April 22nd, 2008, 06:50 AM
the buttons like "vote now" or "submit post" are almost invisible to me. i really have to strain to see them.

anybody else having this problem?

i'm sure a lot of tweaking is gonna go down in the next few weeks so i'm not too worried about this.

i think eventually, it would be cool to have users be able to select themes. i know its a lot of work... its just an idea.

PS... man, i can barely find the "submit reply" button.

piratesmack
April 22nd, 2008, 06:59 AM
I don't like it.

I can't figure out how to find all my posts and threads. Anyone know?

mivo
April 22nd, 2008, 06:59 AM
The buttons seem fine to me. When the contrast issues are tweaked, I think I'll be okay. I actually like that the avatar and the information are on the left now. That saves some room and requires less scrolling (I display as many posts per page as possible). I need to fix my avatar's background now, though!

So, all in all, it's probably just a matter of getting used to and the brain adjusting to the new layout. Higher contrast and less white will make it easier on the eyes.

On a side note ... why isn't spellchecking working in the quick reply box?

earther
April 22nd, 2008, 07:02 AM
The look is OK though I am tweaking it with Stylish.

The BIG improvement for me is that it loads 10x faster. I'm still on dialup and the previous incarnation was pure torture. Now it's really zipping along. THANK YOU!

mivo
April 22nd, 2008, 07:04 AM
I can't figure out how to find all my posts and threads. Anyone know?

Do you mean posts and threads you made, or threads that you posted in and want to follow? If it's the latter, then just CP -> Edit Options -> Default Thread Subscription Mode -> No Email Notification. Threads that you posted in with new messages then show up in the CP main view. As for your own posts, you can still search by author.

Rocket2DMn
April 22nd, 2008, 07:31 AM
My feedback:
-Too much whitespace = too much scrolling down the page.
-Haven't been able to find how to mark a thread as [SOLVED]
-the tags at the beginning of thread titles (ubuntu, kubuntu, xubuntu) are interesting, but distracting. Maybe make them little icons, like the Ubuntu symbols for each desktop environment (KDE, Xfce, Gnome).
-Too much whitespace (just in case you missed it).

mivo
April 22nd, 2008, 07:42 AM
Actually, there is also unused (beige) space on the left and right side of the window (did we have this before too?). And they are followed by two other white bars. It is trendy, but doesn't serve a practical purpose. These "bars" could be reduced to 10-20% of their current size.

LaRoza
April 22nd, 2008, 07:43 AM
Actually, there is also unused (beige) space on the left and right side of the window (did we have this before too?). It is trendy, but doesn't serve a practical purpose. These "bars" could be reduced to 10-20% of their current size.

We did have a margin before. I believe this aspect of the theme was done at the last moment (during testing, and up to right before release, it was a fixed width theme) so it will likely need adjustments.

riven0
April 22nd, 2008, 07:45 AM
No, no, no! This theme looks way to empty and white. The formatting looks strange for some reason. I thought there was something wrong with Opera at first. Somebody, add a little more color, please.

On the upside of things, I noticed it loads much faster now. I heartily approve of that. :popcorn:

gladstone
April 22nd, 2008, 08:37 AM
I like it, it feels nice and fresh :)

amyst
April 22nd, 2008, 08:48 AM
I am sure the theme will be tweaked for better contrast, and the Thanks will be back soon. See FAQ.

Thanks LaRoza. I would also vote for a sharper contrast. I'm probably one of the few people who are still using the Ubuntu wallpapers. Because of all those white spaces the new UF theme looks much more repulsive on those wallpapers.

KiwiNZ
April 22nd, 2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks LaRoza. I would also vote for a sharper contrast. I'm probably one of the few people who are still using the Ubuntu wallpapers. Because of all those white spaces the new UF theme looks much more repulsive on those wallpapers.

Maximise your browser and you wont see the wallpaper ;)

chucky chuckaluck
April 22nd, 2008, 09:55 AM
looks good in elinks, especially in the console (so much easier to read).

MacUntu
April 22nd, 2008, 09:56 AM
It's a waste of space on the relevant sites making it hard not to hate it. Sorry.

popch
April 22nd, 2008, 09:58 AM
The fonts are the same for me...

They look the same for me *here* but looked differently *there*. Also there were some differences with the line leading on my other PC.

the buttons like "vote now" or "submit post" are almost invisible to me. i really have to strain to see them.

anybody else having this problem? ...
PS... man, i can barely find the "submit reply" button.

No, no problem at all here. Is there something wrong with your eyesight?

Too much whitespace = too much scrolling down the page. (twice)

I don't see the problem. Write longer posts or use a taller font if it bothers you.

OMG THEY CHANGED THE LINE SPACING AND EVERYTHING IS TWO THIRDS OF A TWIP HIGHER THAN IT WAS BEFORE AND MY LEARNING CURVE FROM SIX MONTHS' USE OF THIS FORUM IS ALL DOWN THE DRAIN HOW COULD THEY DO THAT TO US.

Really, I feel it's a major job well done, and we all know that there's still work in progress.

To whom it may concern: My heartfelt thanks for all that work. Much appreciated.

Saint Angeles
April 22nd, 2008, 10:01 AM
No, no problem at all here. Is there something wrong with your eyesight?

im using a syncmaster 941bw... i think the gamma is higher than most other monitors... i notice when i take screenshots, they always look way darker on other monitors.

maybe i'll mess with the settings on the monitor a bit...

last time i got checked, i had 20-18 vision

(EDIT) i lowered the gamma... everything is dark now except those buttons i mentioned. everything's ugly now so i'll change it back. i still can't see them. neither can my fiancee and my roommate.

PS i like the new theme. just not the buttons.

quinnten83
April 22nd, 2008, 10:04 AM
OMG,
I can't deal with more change in my life right now....
Seeing this freaked me out!!
I can get used to it, but there are still some minor issues.
where is the emoticon for sheer panic?

PriceChild
April 22nd, 2008, 10:26 AM
For those asking for less whitespace under sigs...

The reason there was none last time around was because we had profiles on top of each post. Now they are on the side, it requires the total length of the post to be 'at least' the height of it. Putting the profile information on top may get rid of the whitespace, but also uses up a load more scrolling on its own!!! The way its set up atm ensures the least scrolling for posts of more than a couple of lines.

btw I also don't think that 'profile on top' has been ruled out yet... I'm no authority on the matter however.

mivo
April 22nd, 2008, 10:27 AM
Hmm, I just noticed that links are not coloured or underlined. They look exactly like normal text unless I mouse-over them. They had a different colour before.

mips
April 22nd, 2008, 10:37 AM
im using a syncmaster 941bw... i think the gamma is higher than most other monitors... i notice when i take screenshots, they always look way darker on other monitors.

maybe i'll mess with the settings on the monitor a bit...

last time i got checked, i had 20-18 vision

(EDIT) i lowered the gamma... everything is dark now except those buttons i mentioned. everything's ugly now so i'll change it back. i still can't see them. neither can my fiancee and my roommate.

PS i like the new theme. just not the buttons.

Just calibrate your monitor correctly. I usually just use some of the online calibartion websites with colour, brightness & gamma charts. But first start by setting your colour temperature correctly!

mips
April 22nd, 2008, 10:43 AM
WAY too much white, going to give people headaches.
Too much wasted space requiring way to much scrolling. Between posts, between sub-forums, between threads.
Links appear in black which makes them hard to distinguish from normal text.

I like the rest of the layout though. The fonts seem bigger which is nice although that might just be my mind playing tricks on me.

Thanks for the hard work you guys put in though. Eagerly awaiting the final outcome.

mips
April 22nd, 2008, 10:49 AM
Actually, I like the basic design, but the whitespace is driving me nuts. I have to constantly use the page down key to see the next 2(!) posts, where I could easily read multiple (3-5) small posts on one page prior to the change. It's just... inefficient in my eyes.

+1

On my laptop (1024x768) I can basically only see one post and a wee bit of the bottom or top one, not both. I really hope this gets fixed.

handy
April 22nd, 2008, 10:50 AM
I like the new look.

I'm happy to hear that the find Find your threads / Find your posts, options will find there way back into the Search Menu too, as I use them a lot.

& of course I really like how the OPP forum has lost its pink fonts. :-D

Thanks to all concerned for so many hours of hard work.

mips
April 22nd, 2008, 10:51 AM
It is a nice look overall, but too bloated for my tastes. Maybe it's just me, but I love the arch forums as they are simple and do the job of a forum. I don't need anything fancy, I need information. ;)

http://bbs.archlinux.org/

Have to agree but then Arch has always been about KISS :)

caravel
April 22nd, 2008, 10:57 AM
Much better.

kevdog
April 22nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
What I'm hating is the name of this thread:

so u like or not the new forum look

Its like the Shift button was broken and the u...just a pet peeve of mine

blithen
April 22nd, 2008, 05:31 PM
Title says it all? Aaaaand do you know if we can change it back?

Mazza558
April 22nd, 2008, 05:34 PM
-You can't change it back
-This thread'll be moved/merged to the ones in Forum Support
-I like it so far - it has bugs but it's a work in progress.

bobbocanfly
April 22nd, 2008, 06:12 PM
It not *great* and its gonna take some time to get used to it but overall i quite like it. Was a shock when i signed on this afternoon though.

mmichalik
April 22nd, 2008, 06:14 PM
Overall, it's all right but, I liked the way you could get to your own posts or threads quickly in the last version.

It's a bit more cumbersome in this one, so far at least.

walkerk
April 22nd, 2008, 06:16 PM
Can't complain...

chrisccoulson
April 22nd, 2008, 06:20 PM
The look of each thread is pretty clean, but I find the view of the sub-forums under each of the main categories very cluttered and 'busy' at the moment

gn2
April 22nd, 2008, 06:57 PM
There seems to be a lot of wasted space in the borders at the side.

I daresay I'll get used to it in time, but my initial reaction is that I do not like it at all.

matthew
April 22nd, 2008, 07:00 PM
Title says it all? Aaaaand do you know if we can change it back?http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4761308#post4761308

peterdk
April 22nd, 2008, 07:10 PM
The only thing that bothers me quite, is the single white bar with the latest post of a forum section. It grabs your attention, while I really don't care about that latest post. I search for a forum, not for the latest forumpost.

It is way to attention grabbing. Should be removed.

munkyeetr
April 22nd, 2008, 07:16 PM
The look is fine, but the forum seems to have slowed down substantially.

ubuntu27
April 22nd, 2008, 07:28 PM
I am already getting used to this new theme. :)

So we are using vBulletin version 3.7 now :D I see lots of new things here: What's new in vBulletin 3.7 (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249460)

aaaantoine
April 22nd, 2008, 07:39 PM
The FAQ posted by Matthew answers all my questions about functionality.

I'm gonna have to upload a different avatar for the purpose of matching the background color, but other than that, no complaints (not covered by the FAQ, at least).

MemoryDump
April 22nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
The look is fine, but the forum seems to have slowed down substantially.

big time.. perhaps using a Release Candidate of this board wasn't the best idea... especially with such a busy site :-k

mips
April 22nd, 2008, 08:42 PM
big time.. perhaps using a Release Candidate of this board wasn't the best idea... especially with such a busy site :-k

I don't think this is about what you like but what is given to you, it's free after all. If people don't like it they will go somewhere else. Everyone has a right to an opinion and you also have the right to go somewhere else if you don't like it. This is not a democracy and we all know it.

I'm for some of the new stuff but against some of the other things. We also have to wait a bit for bugs and features to be sorted out before we have a final product.

Relax people, there is more to life than a internet forum :)

Sorry, I just want to add that this post is not directed at you but more a general opinion of comments so far.

kg4tah
April 22nd, 2008, 08:46 PM
I miss the gallary.... I collected a lot of nice wallpapers in there :-(

christianxxx
April 22nd, 2008, 08:48 PM
Seriously? Here we are supporting an OS with a 6 month release cycle, and we can't deal with a small facelift and the promise of new features on the forums?

Ofcourse this takes a little while, but we should encourage the staff and be positive. They've already stated that most features currently missing will be migrated, or in some way sorted.

Relax people, there is more to life than a internet forum :-)
Are you sure? I'm on my 14th hour today, and it's getting dark outside... Why bother...

jmore9
April 22nd, 2008, 08:55 PM
It was different when i first logged on but it seems to grow on me.
As someone said in an earlier post it is a work in progress

justin whitaker
April 22nd, 2008, 08:56 PM
The new look is really clean looking. It takes a bit of time getting used to, but overall, I think it is an improvement.

nfm
April 22nd, 2008, 08:58 PM
There's too much wasted space between threads, which is hard to focus for me, especially here on this very busy forum where new threads pop up every minute.

Saint Angeles
April 22nd, 2008, 08:59 PM
i just wish we had more threads EXACTLY like this one.

LaRoza
April 22nd, 2008, 09:08 PM
i just wish we had more threads EXACTLY like this one.

I could copy it...

kaivalagi
April 22nd, 2008, 09:40 PM
The look is growing on me.

Just waiting for the response time to go down a little...

blithen
April 22nd, 2008, 09:54 PM
Yeah, it's growing on me. And it's DEFIANTLY work in progress. I'm sure with time I will know and love it just as much as the old forum. :D

Dark Aspect
April 22nd, 2008, 11:27 PM
I like it,doesn't seem that much slower to me but I have slow internet anyway.

Just in time for LTS too,new Ubuntu and new Ubuntu forums lol

Tigershell
April 23rd, 2008, 12:36 AM
The new theme isn't bad, but I do prefer the other one by a large margin.

Alpha_toxic
April 23rd, 2008, 12:42 AM
How to save that theme? (an extensive analysis)

1. Front page
The front page is way too busy at the moment. Way too many links jumping at you at once and the current theme makes it look even worse as the dividers between the categories are too "weak"
a) make the group background colour darker, it will make the whole thing much more readable and understandable
b) make the group titles bigger (and I mean A LOT), perhaps even add some sort of bubble around them to make them stand out more.
c) the "latest post" field in each category is breaking everything. It is stronger than the dividers between the categories AND IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS THE DIVIDER. It has to be redesigned completely.
d) the "-" signs don't work as expected. I guess you know that.
e) at the top of the page there is a large white space, way too large and empty. Filling it is a must, how is up to you. Perhaps enlarging the logo, or moving the notifications (blue fields) there...

2. Community cafe (or a random subforum)
a) practically all dark elements should be darker
b) again the top is white and empty
c) the blue "Announcement" is broken. Too short (does not reach the right end of the page) and the date looks out of place too

3. Thread
actually I like it in general
a) again, all dark elements should be darker
b) I think a more compact view would be more usable
c) the image popup is totally broken. Why the hell does scrolling exits and ESC does not?!?!

conclusion: the theme is not that bad, but could be waaaay better

jpeddicord
April 23rd, 2008, 12:54 AM
Merged the two poll threads into one, since they were identical.

Bruno Barrera
April 23rd, 2008, 01:28 AM
I like everything except the waste of space at the end of each post and that links are invisible. Everything else is great! and it loads WAY faster. Thanks!

Ripfox
April 23rd, 2008, 05:02 AM
Ugh. :(

DirtDawg
April 23rd, 2008, 06:06 AM
Except for the missing searchbar, I LOVE IT! And I don't care what anyone says, the new design/upgrade is much faster on my machine.

chochem
April 23rd, 2008, 10:26 AM
It leaves too much white space in each post.

Oh, and needs more brown.

It's not bad though

A succinct analysis: "Needs more brown" :)

Ashrael
April 23rd, 2008, 11:23 AM
well, about the colours... i would like it a bit darker, my desktop is themed all black (see attach).
But most of all i seem to miss the search option to find my own posts... in the beginning :) i saved all my posts to my bookmarks folder, but that got bloated.. So when i figured out that there was a search function for that, i stopped bookmarking them.
So i would like to see that function return, please...

I might also just have not re-found it yet. (edit: eating my foot...advanced search, uhm...)

Like my father used to say:
"there is no subtitute for ignorance" :)

Ashrael
April 23rd, 2008, 11:31 AM
OOPS! forgot to attach the image, so...

Scaled the image down from 1920x1440..
Background is the well known elephant skin, but reduced to grayscale.
All the panel are black and totaly 90% transparent...
And 'course i am running compiz-fusion ;)

I love it!

THANKS TO ALL! :guitar:

marufaberlin
April 23rd, 2008, 11:36 AM
The look is great, but the links and the menus should remain the same.

And what happened to the thanx buttons?

marufaberlin
April 23rd, 2008, 12:11 PM
let see em votes rolling
If theres even a chance for something to go wrong.......... it will.

Isn't that one of Murphy's great laws?

Dreamy1
April 24th, 2008, 01:16 AM
I don't like it to be honest, I much preferred when profile details where on top of people's posts.

handy
April 24th, 2008, 02:12 AM
I have already voted & posted that the new forum layout is fine by me.

Having used it more since then, I do find that the main page is a somewhat harder to read due to the colour bands & the format changes regarding the grouping of the sub-forums. It is more crowded & somewhat less clear.

The other problem I'm finding is the BIG difference in the size of the fonts between the normal content & the composition fields that are used to create & reply to posts.

Also, the button's & the drop down menu on the composition page have huge text.

I can live with this problem as it is much better than tiny text, but I find myself adjusting the size of the fonts via the keyboard shortcuts often.

Shazaam
April 24th, 2008, 06:39 PM
As a dialup user I have noticed that the one problem I had went away (loading the main page). When I logged on with the old software the main page would hang loading the "Who's Online" user list. Since this is no longer displayed that problem has been fixed for me (hopefully it will stay that way). Unfortunatly the hanging problem has been transfered to the rest of the forum. When opening any forum/subforum here the page either stops loading or takes over a minute to load on average.
FYI, I use NoScript and AdBlock with Firefox 2 and 3. Both versions of Firefox have this problem with or without the extensions disabled.

Rocket2DMn
April 24th, 2008, 07:01 PM
As a dialup user I have noticed that the one problem I had went away (loading the main page). When I logged on with the old software the main page would hang loading the "Who's Online" user list. Since this is no longer displayed that problem has been fixed for me (hopefully it will stay that way). Unfortunatly the hanging problem has been transfered to the rest of the forum. When opening any forum/subforum here the page either stops loading or takes over a minute to load on average.
FYI, I use NoScript and AdBlock with Firefox 2 and 3. Both versions of Firefox have this problem with or without the extensions disabled.

Make sure you clear your browser cache, that could help with any misdirection in links and redirects. Otherwise, you may want to find somebody important to complain to.

What is in a name?
April 24th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I believe it's too white. I mean, the previous style already had too much white, but anyway it's too harsh on my eyes. They're burning.

madjr
April 24th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I believe it's too white. I mean, the previous style already had too much white, but anyway it's too harsh on my eyes. They're burning.

same i hate this white

JawsThemeSwimming428
April 24th, 2008, 11:50 PM
The new forum look is alright ( I liked the old one a little more). However, there must have been something done in the back end because it seems quicker and when I search for new posts it doesn't tell me that none are found every time anymore. Good job!

grannyw
April 24th, 2008, 11:52 PM
i really like the search engine

mivo
April 25th, 2008, 07:48 AM
The look has definitely improved over the past couple of days. Most of the "issues" I had were fixed. Only remaining problem, for me, is how cluttered the main forum view looks -- still find orientation harder than before.

Saint Angeles
April 25th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Just calibrate your monitor correctly. I usually just use some of the online calibartion websites with colour, brightness & gamma charts. But first start by setting your colour temperature correctly!
YAY!! my monitor was tweaked all weird from when I had windows last year ... I reset to default and VOILA!!

everything looks amazing.

and it looks really good on my work computer with a CRT monitor... i apologize for complaining about the contrast issue... can you all find it in your hearts to forgive me?

PS all hail the return of the mighty search box!!

mivo
April 25th, 2008, 08:10 AM
When I logged on with the old software the main page would hang loading the "Who's Online" user list. Since this is no longer displayed that problem has been fixed ...

The list is still there in the new forum software, but it was disabled just yesterday because of the upgrade rush. They turn it off every time the forum gets extra heavy traffic when new versions come out. :)

handy
April 25th, 2008, 09:36 AM
The look has definitely improved over the past couple of days. Most of the "issues" I had were fixed. Only remaining problem, for me, is how cluttered the main forum view looks -- still find orientation harder than before.

Yes, I still find the new home page to be a bit more difficult to navigate too.

Though the major problem I'm experiencing with the new forum look (as already stated in this thread :-)) is the very big difference between the size of the fonts in posts & the HUGE size of the fonts in the Title: & Message: fields & the Submit Reply, Preview Post, Manage Attachments, Submit Reply & Preview Post buttons & the Notification Type, drop down menu. The Manage Attachments dialog also has some very large fonts too.

I experience this problem on my two computers, one displays Firefox on a 19" CRT screen, the other on a 24" LCD. Both are running a minimum font size of 24. I usually have to hit the enlarge font keyboard shortcut 3 times to bring web sites up to a comfortable size for relaxed viewing for my eyeballs.

I've added a couple of screen shots from the 24" LCD below, they are at the unmagnified 24 font size:

Drone4four
April 25th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I like the white. Although I hate the waiting time between the moment you click "Submit" and the moment the thread loads. The servers need upgrading. We need servers with more bandwidth, more ram and more processor power.

edit: HOLY ****: IT TOOK LIKE 10 MINUTES FOR THIS THREAD TO BE SUBMITTED!!!!!
edit2: WHAT THE ****? WHY THE **** ARE SWEAR WORDS CENSORED?

LaRoza
April 25th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I like the white. Although I hate the waiting time between the moment you click "Submit" and the moment the thread loads. The servers need upgrading. We need servers with more bandwidth, more ram and more processor power.

edit: HOLY ****: IT TOOK LIKE 10 MINUTES FOR THIS THREAD TO BE SUBMITTED!!!!!
edit2: WHAT THE ****? WHY THE **** ARE SWEAR WORDS CENSORED?

That should be happening, although I am getting delays as well.

Read the CoC.

chewearn
April 25th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Oh wow, the race is still on, neck to neck.
"Like it" leads by one point to "Don't like it".
"Love it" is tied with "Hate it."

No clear winner is in sight yet.
What would be the final outcome? How will it end?

The excitement is in the air, as the racers inch forward step by step.
Sweat and dirt flying, no one is about to give up yet.

On a side note, this commentator is starting to get used to the new forum theme. Will the old look be just a fleeting memory from now on?

:lol:

Northsider
April 25th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I dont like it at all. All of the columns and such are no off on my screen. The categories I feel are harder to navigate as well.

nikef
April 25th, 2008, 11:23 PM
:guitar::guitar:

well done,i luv it \\:D/

osx424242
April 28th, 2008, 05:49 AM
I don't care about the new UI, I'm just angry that the RSS feed and all the Firefox location bar links to my favorite forum are now broken. Luckily someone posted a new message about it to a thread I care about (a week after the change), otherwise I still wouldn't know. Now I just need to add a second RSS feed and check two forums (the archived and the new) for new posts.

vexorian
April 28th, 2008, 05:53 AM
The theme is just ok.

The vBulletin version however, is terrible.

LaRoza
April 28th, 2008, 01:51 PM
The vBulletin version however, is terrible.

Really? With the server loads as high as they have been, this forum would have been down a lot...

See the records we have had. The new software enabled the forums to stay online, whereas the old version would have crashed.