PDA

View Full Version : Additional Prefix Request

cyberdork33
April 22nd, 2008, 04:01 AM
Can you add a prefix that is not specific to a version of Ubuntu? Like an "any" or "all variants"?

jpeddicord
April 22nd, 2008, 04:07 AM
Can you add a prefix that is not specific to a version of Ubuntu? Like an "any" or "all variants"?

Wouldn't that be the point of "(no prefix)"? :)

cyberdork33
April 22nd, 2008, 04:14 AM
Wouldn't that be the point of "(no prefix)"? :)
I tried that, but it would not allow me to make a new thread without selecting one.

Sorta related... Can you make unique prefixes for certain forums? For instance, in the now-merged Apple support forum, it would be very benficial to be able to prefix with "Intel" or "PPC".

Linux&Gsus
April 22nd, 2008, 01:36 PM
While we talk about the prefixes...
I think the general idea of such a thing is good, but may I suggest to somehow increase the readability of that? E.g. instead of:

ubuntu where is my menu?

could the prefix be somehow made more separated from the topic, e.g.

ubuntu | where is my menu?
(ubuntu) where is my menu?
ubuntu where is my menu?

or something like that?

Also I second the idea to have specific prefixes for different forums/sub-forums like different hardware components for Hardware forum, etc.

It's not meant as criticism, I know all that is a lot of work. Just wanna add ideas for (IMHO) increased user friendliness.

Cheers,
Steve

notwen
April 22nd, 2008, 01:42 PM
I agree, especially w/ somehow separating the prefix from the following thread title. It looks very odd to see each thread beginning w/ "Ubuntu Thread Title".

Joeb454
April 22nd, 2008, 01:45 PM
+1 on that, I got really confused :p

And you should be able to make threads with no prefixes, there's plenty in Absolute Beginner Talk with no prefix. I don't know I've not made a new thread yet

cyberdork33
April 22nd, 2008, 01:54 PM
And you should be able to make threads with no prefixes, there's plenty in Absolute Beginner Talk with no prefix. I don't know I've not made a new thread yet
Well, I don't know about that forum, but in the Apple Hardware Forum, I could not post unless I chose a prefix.

Confuzius
April 22nd, 2008, 03:58 PM
While we talk about the prefixes...
I think the general idea of such a thing is good, but may I suggest to somehow increase the readability of that? E.g. instead of:

ubuntu where is my menu?

could the prefix be somehow made more separated from the topic, e.g.

ubuntu | where is my menu?
(ubuntu) where is my menu?
ubuntu where is my menu?

or something like that?

Also I second the idea to have specific prefixes for different forums/sub-forums like different hardware components for Hardware forum, etc.

It's not meant as criticism, I know all that is a lot of work. Just wanna add ideas for (IMHO) increased user friendliness.

Cheers,
Steve
Seconded on this, I think that it will increase the readability of the new forums immensely.

notwen
April 22nd, 2008, 06:36 PM
Anything other than a bold prefix, bold use to indicate a unread thread and it would likely cause me to ninja click every thread from here on out. So separate prefixes from the thread title somehow w/o using bold maybe? =]

jpeddicord
April 22nd, 2008, 08:52 PM
I've reported these bugs to the staff. There's already a sizable list so it may be a little bit before progress is made.

Linux&Gsus
April 23rd, 2008, 09:45 AM
I've reported these bugs to the staff. There's already a sizable list so it may be a little bit before progress is made.

No worries, mate. I like to increase the workload of other people for my entertainment.
So, it's done in a couple hours, right?

Cheers,
Steve

PS: May everyone insert appropriate emoticons themselves. ;)
Keep up the good work, guys. I love this forum and community already.
You rock... :guitar:

ubuntu-geek
April 23rd, 2008, 11:34 AM
Added a couple new options..