PDA

View Full Version : Seriously hating this new forum format!!

kevdog
April 22nd, 2008, 03:13 AM
Ok -- yes its easy for a member who does nothing to maintain the forum to complain, but I'm going to anyway (and yes I read the thread in the Forum Feedback section by UbuntuGeek).

I hate the new theme and forum!!! (OK I said it). Here is what I dont like:
1. Its superslooooow!
2. Theme -- Ugly
3. Old posts -- Gone! Thanks a lot -- a lot of good things in those old posts -- wiped out. Yes I know you can still find them, but its a extra step
4. Did I mention its superslooooow??
5. 3 column layout -- Not my favorite
6. Community Cafe Threads were kept -- hmmm this seems backwards to me. If there were any threads to throw out first, I believe the non-technical support threads should have been shown the door in high priority.
7. Hmm seems like a cant submit a new thread either without it getting bounced!!
8. Was this so-called "upgrade" announced?? I don't recall rumors of such an extensive change being advertised. Yes I realize its no democracy.

Ok -- enough complaining. Its not going to get me anywhere. But then again this is from a user who has complained before so take what I say with a grain of salt!

FuturePilot
April 22nd, 2008, 03:17 AM
It's not slow here...??
I like the new theme. :)

LaRoza
April 22nd, 2008, 03:18 AM
Ok -- yes its easy for a member who does nothing to maintain the forum to complain, but I'm going to anyway (and yes I read the thread in the Forum Feedback section by UbuntuGeek).

1. Its superslooooow!
2. Theme -- Ugly
3. Old posts -- Gone! Thanks a lot -- a lot of good things in those old posts -- wiped out. Yes I know you can still find them, but its a extra step
6. Community Cafe Threads were kept -- hmmm this seems backwards to me. If there were any threads to throw out first, I believe the non-technical support threads should have been shown the door in high priority.
7. Hmm seems like a cant submit a new thread either without it getting bounced!!
8. Was this so-called "upgrade" announced?? I don't recall rumors of such an extensive change being advertised. Yes I realize its no democracy.

1. It is the same server, it must be a database issue. It probably won't last.
2. The theme is the work of one person on his spare time. You should have seen what it used to look like! There are going to be fine tunings of course.
3. They are archived. This upgrade was a big step. (Imagine having a system with Windows 2000, then "upgrading" to FreeBSD. Things will have be changed.)
4. See 1
5. You'll get used to it. I have been on the beta (testing) site for a while while this theme was made (massive work for ubuntu-geek) and it seems like an improvement once you are used to it.
6. The way the posts were created was changed, that is why they were archived.
7. Not sure what that means...
8. Yes, many times.

bilal.17
April 22nd, 2008, 03:20 AM
yeah its not slow on my side either, i dont dislike the theme, i just think it might take some time getting used to

fifth_rune
It's a lot cleaner and nicer looking.

jflaker
WOA, Shocked.....Need to bring recent posts to the front.

I will reserve comment till the site is tweaked.

natedawg
kevdog- You can always expect a forum upgrade/change with a new ubuntu release.
I'm betting the speed issue will be worked out soon...

The theme is nice but I find it hard to skim through because there is very little contrast.

All in all I know the kinks will be worked out soon, great work Ubuntu Forums Team!

Kingsley
April 22nd, 2008, 03:21 AM
They fixed the font color in the Backyard. :)

jpeddicord
April 22nd, 2008, 03:22 AM
Chucked into FF&H - wait a little bit too before complaining, ubuntu-geek is still changing things. :)

kevdog
April 22nd, 2008, 03:29 AM
Hold on -- not a complaint however this thread was just moved from the CC without even a notice being posted in its original location. I thought it was being censored for a moment :). Hmm that behaivor is really unusual -- didn't use to work like that!!

And one more thing while I'm add it. I lost the ability to search for all posts Ive created or replied too. That was a really important feature for me. Too bad its gone.

I can live with the theme, however the speed and the old thread loss seems inexcusable from a user perspective.

jcwmoore
April 22nd, 2008, 03:29 AM
+1

what color is the text editor background i'm using... and it is super super slow. Looking for new post only took .01 sec before but now it shows .15. I know .15 is still fast, but a 10X increase and the drag only gets bigger as in flows down the pipe to my PC. Maybe that will be fixed in time, so i'll give it the benefit of the doubt; however, I HATE the fact that the search results are "taller" than they were before. Monitors are going wide screen and the last thing anyone needs to do is waste vertical retail space. This is why I hate MS office 2007, that ribbon bar is huge, I would like it if MS made that bar on the side of the screen, that way I could see 5 or 6 extra lines of text... same here... the search results are taller and I see 2 or 3 fewer before i have to scroll down....

BTW where to I find my thanks count on the profile??? other than that I do like the profile layout

EDIT ah hell, it is even gone from my posts....

jpeddicord
April 22nd, 2008, 03:39 AM
Hold on -- not a complaint however this thread was just moved from the CC without even a notice being posted in its original location. I thought it was being censored for a moment :). Hmm that behaivor is really unusual -- didn't use to work like that!!

And one more thing while I'm add it. I lost the ability to search for all posts Ive created or replied too. That was a really important feature for me. Too bad its gone.

I can live with the theme, however the speed and the old thread loss seems inexcusable from a user perspective.

Sorry about that - I didn't leave a redirect in the CC. It should have sent you a PM though.

jpeddicord
April 22nd, 2008, 03:39 AM
+1
BTW where to I find my thanks count on the profile??? other than that I do like the profile layout

EDIT ah hell, it is even gone from my posts....

See the upgrade FAQ; thanks will be added back soon.

akiratheoni
April 22nd, 2008, 03:40 AM
Whoa! I was on Google and went to a link to the Ubuntu forums and I didn't even realize it was the Ubuntu forums, lol. The skin is really nice.

vishzilla
April 22nd, 2008, 03:42 AM
Not slow at all. I like the new layout :)

jcwmoore
April 22nd, 2008, 03:49 AM

GREAT! i guess i'm content with the new format, i still wish i could see more search post before scrolling down... but i'll get over that.

thanks for the hard work staff

:popcorn:

LaRoza
April 22nd, 2008, 03:51 AM
GREAT! i guess i'm content with the new format, i still wish i could see more search post before scrolling down... but i'll get over that.

thanks for the hard work staff

:popcorn:

It was mostly ubuntu-geek. The rest of us just nagged him about things, while he did the work.

gletob
April 22nd, 2008, 03:51 AM
First Rav Tux then the forums what next HAVE YEA NO SHAME

Saint Angeles
April 22nd, 2008, 03:52 AM
i like the way the actual threads look... but i'm not digging the main page much... it seems i have to scroll down farther to see the community cafe posts. i liked how the old version displayed new posts on the right side. it made it easier to see them.

but i'll get used to it.

EDIT. I just realized that the "submit post" button is almost invisible on my computer. is anybody else having this problem or is it a problem with my browser?

Can+~
April 22nd, 2008, 03:54 AM
It gets time to get used to a change. I mostly think that the new version vBulleting is great.

I have one complaint, the url's are invisible! For instance, this whole sentence is a huge url, did you notice it? :( (http://ubuntuforums.org/)

calc
April 22nd, 2008, 03:56 AM
A few complaints, from a couple minutes usage:

1. No Home link anymore on the bar
2. User CP is no longer a menu
3. No search in upper right (I used that all the time)
4. No way to find thanked posts(?)
5. No count listed anymore for thanked posts at all?

And it seems much slower though that might be just because it was down and lots of people are hitting it now?

I don't see anything that has been improved, unless maybe this is less processor intensive on the server side, but that wouldn't seem to be the case with it being much slower. :confused:

-grubby
April 22nd, 2008, 03:59 AM

And it seems much slower though that might be just because it was down and lots of people are hitting it now?

I don't see anything that has been improved, unless maybe this is less processor intensive on the server side, but that wouldn't seem to be the case with it being much slower. :confused:

4 and 5: the thanks feature is being ported to the vbulletin beta

LaRoza
April 22nd, 2008, 03:59 AM

The links will be worked on. By default, they didn't exist at all so it was a lot of work for ubuntu-geek getting this up.

The thanked posts issue is in the FAQ, they will be back soon.

I am not sure why it is so slow, but it seems to come and go (for me) so it is likely just a database thing on the server.

quickshade
April 22nd, 2008, 04:00 AM
It does seem a bit slower, although I'll give them some time to fix that stuff. The theme is ok, but it does need some tweaking. alot of stuff seems to be in the process of coming online, so I'll hold back judgement for a few days.:)

swoll1980
April 22nd, 2008, 04:03 AM
The Forums I mean

meanburrito920
April 22nd, 2008, 04:06 AM
Two things I have noticed about the new site. 1st is that the home page literally takes a full minute to load and freezes up all of firefox as it does so. Everything else on the site seems to load fast, so I am not sure what the story with the discrepancy is. Secondly, the look. browsing through forums and sub forums is more confusing now because forum links have the same appearance as threads. The forums should not have a thread appear underneath them, they should just be listed as before. This allows me to get to what I want quickly and not have to fumble my way through obnoxious posts. Also, the submission boxes have become a light gray shade (at least on my machine) and have the appearance of a grayed out box, aka unusable. This isnt exactly user friendly. I understand the site will be improving over the next few days, but I just wanted to throw my two cents in.

Nano Geek
I have to say as well that I somewhat dislike the new theme.
In case anyone cares, here's some of the things that bothered me.

The Welcome/Private Messages section at the top of the browser no longer is highlited in blue; making the page look more cluttered.
The lack of drop shadows around the main text area again makes the page harder to read.
The boxes around the latest posts make them stand out more than they should; this distracting the reader from going where he wants to go.

Those were my main bugaboos, and the other smaller things that I see will probably not bother me in time.

Any way, keep up the good work.

Can+~
The slow-ness of the forum is due to the high traffic, I don't remember seeing "Currently Active Users: 7154 (782 members and 6372 guests) " before, or maybe my memory sucks.

Anyway, one of the things I would change, is that the links have no difference from normal text, therefore, is hard to spot where a link starts/ends and where text or another link starts/ends. For instance this whole paragraph, is *GASP* a link. (http://www.google.com)

I'm repeating myself, since, I ended in the last post on the page 2, and no one read those :(.

NET WT
April 22nd, 2008, 04:07 AM
So do I.

loell
April 22nd, 2008, 04:09 AM
yuck, the search text-box is gone? :-P

:lolflag:

keykero
April 22nd, 2008, 04:09 AM
Seems like a lot of wasted space. Guess it looks good in Epiphany, or Opera, or something.

Nano Geek
April 22nd, 2008, 04:10 AM
Oh, one more thing I noticed, you can on longer easily see if there are new/updated threads in subforms (i.e. you can't tell if there are new posts in the Resolution Center when you are in the FF&H section.)

aktiwers
April 22nd, 2008, 04:12 AM
I miss the old frontpage!

jcwmoore
April 22nd, 2008, 04:14 AM

I googled for that but couldn't find it, may i have a link please?!

NightwishFan
April 22nd, 2008, 04:14 AM
I like it so far.

Nano Geek
April 22nd, 2008, 04:15 AM
I googled for that but couldn't find it, may i have a link please?!http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4761308#post4761308

Lacrimstein
April 22nd, 2008, 04:19 AM
I guess its a pretty good new look, however I miss the search box at the upper right-hand corner of the page. The search menu is a pain to use, imho

wolfen69
April 22nd, 2008, 04:21 AM
not crazy about it, but oh well. im sure i'll get used to it. at least the black ubuntuforum script still works.

calc
April 22nd, 2008, 04:21 AM
I guess its a pretty good new look, however I miss the search box at the upper right-hand corner of the page (the search menu is a pain to use, imho) and the clear separation between forum sections and the most recent threads (i know they are there, but they just don't catch the eye)

It seems most of the graphical bit was changed, probably due to the upgrade itself. It would be nice if they could port as much of the old theme to the new template format as possible. I can't pinpoint what it is but it seems much harder to read to me, I think due to the colors. Also it would be nice if the side info bar was on top of posts instead so it wouldn't waste as much vertical space.

Breakage
April 22nd, 2008, 04:25 AM
I like it, definitely a lot cleaner smoother and more minimal than than the older style. Only thing is that the fonts still seem too large.

Bruce M.
April 22nd, 2008, 04:38 AM
This is for ubuntu-geek and anyone else involved in the creation of the new forum format:

GREAT JOB!

Life is about changes.

Consider the new guy/gal that logs in tomorrow for the first time.

It's like coming from another OS to Ubuntu ... just a little learning curve.

Oh did I say:

GREAT JOB!

Night folks, pleasant dreams.
Bruce

NightwishFan
April 22nd, 2008, 04:41 AM
This is for ubuntu-geek and anyone else involved in the creation of the new forum format:

GREAT JOB!

Life is about changes.

Consider the new guy/gal that logs in tomorrow for the first time.

It's like coming from another OS to Ubuntu ... just a little learning curve.

Oh did I say:

GREAT JOB!

Night folks, pleasant dreams.
Bruce

I concur, so far I like the change. Any rough edges will be smoothed soon anyway. :KS

jcwmoore
April 22nd, 2008, 04:46 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4761308#post4761308

THANKS!

it's not there yet, so +1 to you

joshrobinson
April 22nd, 2008, 04:47 AM
im torn between liking it and not liking it, it looks clean, i like the colors, but theres just a few eyesores, thought i would post them here since other people were posting their concerns/suggestions

the "welcome username" area should have a box around it to make it stand out better

when your in a forum section, say "Absolute Beginner Talk" the posted threads are too far apart with the break likes.. example

-----------------

thread name
-----------------

which makes me feel like i dont see enough of the forum, instead of

-----------
thread name
-----------

just lets you see more on the page at one time
other then that, i miss the thanks, find posts by me, the user cp dropdown etc, but some of that was addressed in geek's post, and i hope to see it all ironed out soon, look forward to seeing it all done

good work so far ubuntu-geek

retrow
April 22nd, 2008, 04:50 AM
The links should have a different colour than the defaul font colour. When I type 'click here' (http://ubuntu.com) it should show up in blue or something so that the user knows there is a hyperlink in that post. Right now it turns red on mourseover, but it seems better when we have it in blue.

Miroku
April 22nd, 2008, 04:53 AM
the forum looks cleaner but it seems like the left side with the avatar n all is just a lol of white space. maybe going for a minimalistic theme? personally i prefered the older theme because there wasn't so much white. oh well, will get used to this one. take care everyone.

SOULRiDER
April 22nd, 2008, 04:54 AM
I like the new theme, but I feel there is way too much whitespace. In the older theme you could see more threads in your screen etc.

SOULRiDER
April 22nd, 2008, 04:56 AM
The links should have a different colour than the defaul font colour. When I type 'click here' (http://ubuntu.com) it should show up in blue or something so that the user knows there is a hyperlink in that post. Right now it turns red on mourseover, but it seems better when we have it in blue.

+1

linux phreak
April 22nd, 2008, 04:58 AM
I think the recent post's font should be a bit bigger.

Saya
April 22nd, 2008, 05:18 AM
- The last active thread thing doesn't fit the main page very good.
- I've never liked the list of every user online, time to get rid off it? It's as long as the rest of the main page, uses both server and client resources and adds nothing really informative.

wolfear
April 22nd, 2008, 05:29 AM
Love the new look. Good job.
But:
Seriously, majorly, completely hacked off that all but one of my subscribed threads are gone now.

No more search box?
Everything got archived but the community area??
What genius came up with that?

But it does look nice.

That will come in handy while searching 500,000+ archives since the nice, ovbious, search box is gone and no subscribed threads to refer to.

EDIT: I stand corrected. The subscriptions are still there, but the settings have changed so as to not display in the manner expected.

LaRoza
April 22nd, 2008, 05:37 AM
Love the new look. Good job.
But:
Seriously, majorly, completely hacked off that all but one of my subscribed threads are gone now.

No more search box?
Everything got archived but the community area??
What genius came up with that?

But it does look nice.

That will come in handy while searching 500,000+ archives since the nice, ovbious, search box is gone and no subscribed threads to refer to.

Give it time. Not everything can be done at once.

KiwiNZ
April 22nd, 2008, 05:40 AM
I posted this in a similar thread...

"Folks , you need to give your self time to get used to it .

The last time we updated to the previous theme , we had heaps of cries of anguish Of please change back. Yet now folks want that theme back .

So please give it time . A lot of work has gone into this , so you should give the polite time to test and try."

Irihapeti
April 22nd, 2008, 06:36 AM
I'm finding a bit of difficulty with some of the fields that have no outline or shadow, such as the subject box in a new thread. But I think I can live with that if necessary.

Give it a week or two and we'll almost have forgotten that it wasn't always this way.

And thanks a million to those who make these forums possible. Without them, I don't know if I'd have lasted three days as an Ubuntu user.

earobinson
April 22nd, 2008, 06:38 AM
settings letting us pick our theme would be nice

LaRoza
April 22nd, 2008, 06:39 AM
settings letting us pick our theme would be nice

That would require two (or more) themes to be written. One is hard enough.

erginemr
April 22nd, 2008, 07:24 AM
I posted this in a similar thread...

"Folks , you need to give your self time to get used to it .

The last time we updated to the previous theme , we had heaps of cries of anguish Of please change back. Yet now folks want that theme back .

So please give it time . A lot of work has gone into this , so you should give the polite time to test and try."

Please do not take the posts here as bashing the new theme. Many of us are trying to get used to it, while pointing out the points we didn't like, so that you could contemplate over them and maybe fix them if there is anything to fix. Here is my share of (productive) criticism:

1. As said before, there is much whitespace used for each post. This can be seen as a lost space, but imho, this makes readability better. The old setting was making me dizzy, when many a short posts squeezed together.

2. Again as said before, hyperlinks should have a visual indication, maybe with a blue color.

3. The color of the editable area (on which I am currently writing my post) gives the impression that it is disabled. I believe it should be white again.

4. Apart from these, thanks for the great work! It is always good to have a breath of fresh air! :D

Artificial Intelligence
April 22nd, 2008, 07:32 AM
They fixed the font color in the Backyard. :)

Don't worry the pink will be back...Muwhahahaha

riven0
April 22nd, 2008, 07:50 AM
I appreciate all those who took the time to re-design the forum. But seriously, this is going to take a lot of time to get used to. I'm really missing the old format.

markoloka
April 22nd, 2008, 08:23 AM
- Search... what happened to it. Now some words are too short.
Like i was looking with words: audacity do not start. Result search was instead: audacity, -start. Do and not were ignored and taken away as too short/common. That didn't give me any results i was looking for.
Luckily this ain't so stupid as in linux mint forum where word ATI is ignored as too short.

forestpixie
April 22nd, 2008, 08:59 AM
Give it time. Not everything can be done at once.

Not that this is a criticism of the new forum as such, but perhaps getting things like searches for your own threads and replies should have had a higher priority than a link to who's online and social groups in the Quick Links.

All in all I think that the benefits will prove themselves - I like the prefixes and tags - as long as people use them they will likely be of great benefit.

Edit - as an added extra now all the old forums have been archived the Ubuntu Forum toolbar addon thingy finds the archives :D

Saint Angeles
April 22nd, 2008, 09:02 AM
how many of these threads do we need? couldnt you have written your criticism in one of the other threads exactly like this one?

joshrobinson
April 22nd, 2008, 09:04 AM
how many of these threads do we need? couldnt you have written your criticism in one of the other threads exactly like this one?

its the one right on the first page, of course people are going to post here, its the first one they see

forestpixie
April 22nd, 2008, 09:07 AM
And the one that appears to be being used more. And is it a problem!

skymera
April 22nd, 2008, 09:08 AM
This layout looks like every other forum now. sigh .

joshrobinson
April 22nd, 2008, 09:14 AM
oh one more suggestion

do you think we can get the "user is online" "user is offline" icon moved up to the right or the username of the poster? it feels alittle out of place where it is now, just a suggestion

kevdog
April 22nd, 2008, 10:19 AM
Hmmm, seeing a similar parallel to this forum theme change, and Windows Vista....released before it was complete. That's usually not the Ubuntu way.

On a lighter note, I do recognize that it took a lot, excuse me, A LOT of work to get this to where it is today. However it just seems it may have been introduced a little bit earlier only to coincide with the Hardy Heron release. Perhaps this is really the only problem. I'm sure everyone will adjust in time (there is no alternative), however perhaps the theme change should have been introduced at a later date.

sstusick
April 22nd, 2008, 10:26 AM
My only complaint is the amount of space this new format is wasting on pages.

sstusick
April 22nd, 2008, 10:27 AM
oh one more suggestion

do you think we can get the "user is online" "user is offline" icon moved up to the right or the username of the poster? it feels alittle out of place where it is now, just a suggestionI second that suggestion.

pelago
April 22nd, 2008, 10:32 AM
Hmm, I'm not sure it was a good idea to have such a major change of the forum at the same time as a new release of Ubuntu. I imagine that there will be a lot of posts with people asking questions about upgrading and so on very soon. It will be annoying for existing Ubuntu Forums users to have to learn a new layout just when they need the forum most, and a time of large traffic is not a good time to be experimenting with layouts etc.

DrMega
April 22nd, 2008, 10:44 AM
I like it.

To the person that did it in their spare time, well done.

It now looks cleaner and more professional. Certainly it is different to how it was before, and when you change something significantly you can expect to meet resistance.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that once people get used to it, if it gets changed back in six months time there'll be a wave of critiscism then as well.

kevdog
April 22nd, 2008, 10:48 AM
As suggested above, shouldn't the use of tags or the tag associations have a different color,font, etc to differentiate them from the actual thread title? For a minute I thought every thread was titled ubunut......, but then later found after I read the thread, the thread title emphasis changed but the tag did not. Confusing for a minute.

Linux&Gsus
April 22nd, 2008, 11:01 AM
I second that suggestion.
I third that :)

But besides that, man, there is a lot of unfriendliness going on. The forum is a bit different, OK, and now? It's not that it is unusable or totally different. I honestly ask myself, if one has to learn that much with the new forum design/layout/whatever then how was it possible for some of you to switch from Windows or OSX to Linux, or what ever switch you made? If one is able to switch from one OS to another then I believe it should be possible to still write some comments here without needing a manual. The only excuse that I would allow is for someone who needs to have a individual drivers license for every brand of car and model.
Come on, guys, it's not that the world is spinning the other way round. :lolflag:

Also, as I understood, there are still tweaks made. Instead of bashing everything and everyone it would be better to give some ideas and advise to those who work on it. No one sees all the problems and help is probably appreciated.

Peace out :guitar:
Steve

erginemr
April 22nd, 2008, 11:18 AM
oh one more suggestion

do you think we can get the "user is online" "user is offline" icon moved up to the right or the username of the poster? it feels alittle out of place where it is now, just a suggestion

I also agree. This is maybe one of the first things I look at when replying someone's question. In such a way that; if the user is offline, I post back and leave, but if s/he is online, then I reply and wait for the feedback or any further questions.

So, having the online/offline indication at a conspicuous location is kind of important...

chili555
April 22nd, 2008, 02:25 PM
Is the button for Unanswered Posts going to return?

MemoryDump
April 22nd, 2008, 02:28 PM
I don't mind the new look. It's refreshing and it's still work in progress.

cmnorton
April 22nd, 2008, 02:37 PM
Is the button for Unanswered Posts going to return?

Ditto.

To me, it's the fastest way to go help someone who has not yet gotten an answer.

Tristam Green
April 22nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
I thoroughly like this new theme. Good upgrade, thanks for ridding OMGPP of the pink text, and *clap* for the admin/mod staff for doing a killer job as always.

pedrotuga
April 22nd, 2008, 02:54 PM
First of all, great work. It's a clear improvement from the previous theme.

Finally the Font was change to Tahoma, this is a huge improvement in my opinion, the previous font (arial i think) was not suted for a web page at all, this is a way more comfortable to read.
A monoblock font in the text areas is another improvement.

It also is tidier in general. Thought the vertical space mis usage should be fixed.

The theme had some problems in my opinion, the theme before that was way easier and more comfortable to use.

The search menu is cool, it allows a quicksearch, a tag search and it is possible to define at once if one wants to see threads or posts. It rocks!

I like it.

A few negative things i either dislike or think should be changed:

-There's no "view all my posts" nor "view all my threads" links. Those were lethally practical. They should be brought back. I believe that's being fixed ATM.

-Low contrast, this was already a problem in the previous theme, i think a little more contrast overall would improve the user experience.

-The online users list has the same font size as the forum content. I think it should be smaller, it's not as relevant as the content.

Artificial Intelligence
April 22nd, 2008, 02:55 PM
Please also note all the new stuff that have been added under your profile, folks :)

Darkhack
April 22nd, 2008, 03:01 PM
The first thing I notice and my biggest complaint is when viewing the list of threads on a board. There seems to be a lot of excess space and I have to scroll a lot to view the list of threads.

Olcay
April 22nd, 2008, 03:10 PM
I think this new forum format looks nicer and cleaner.

Partyboi2
April 22nd, 2008, 03:33 PM
I think it is a interesting new look and am sure with time it will grow on me. What really stands out is that ubuntu-geek has invested alot of time and effort to set this up. Well done ubuntu-geek and thanks for all the hard work!

Diabolis
April 22nd, 2008, 03:57 PM
I kind of like the new theme, trying to get used to it.
I just hope all the old features are added.

2.- User CP is no longer a menu
I used that menu a lot, I hope it gets back.

What about all the social networking stuff, do we need that?

Joeb454
April 22nd, 2008, 04:02 PM
I'd quite like UserCP to be put back as a Menu, I'm sure I'll learn to not use it like I used to :)

We don't need the networking stuff, I think if it gets too chaotic, it'll be disabled. And the Submit Post buttons are a bit awkward to see, they just look like text links

1 last thing - I have to say I really would like the links to be changed back to the way they were

i.e. colored by default, currently they're black, how about pink? (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=121) :p

Now...there's a link in there somewhere...

sdowney717
April 22nd, 2008, 04:31 PM
curious as to why it was necessary to change.
was it something to do with the software that was used in the original forum?

sanderella
April 22nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
I'm overwhelmed. :confused: I expect I'll get used to it.

LaRoza
April 22nd, 2008, 05:05 PM
curious as to why it was necessary to change.
was it something to do with the software that was used in the original forum?

Yes. This was a rather major upgrade though, that is why it is so different.

Diabolis
April 22nd, 2008, 06:17 PM
Point me to the right thread if this is not the right one.

Old features that I want back badly.

1.- "User CP" as a menu, now is only a button.

2.- A longer "Search" menu, It had many other options. I used a lot the one that said "find all my threads".

3.- A prefer white text boxes over the new gray boxes.

Edit

I just found the new menu "Quick links" which has the same menus that "User CP" had, so that is solved.
Did the "Search" menu went somewhere else also?

walkerk
April 22nd, 2008, 06:24 PM

+1

Bruce M.
April 22nd, 2008, 06:47 PM
Re: Seriously loving this new forum format!!

Oops! Did I misquote that? :lolflag:

Anyway, as posted before I like the new format.

And I see it's a vBulletin upgrade too. So I have a question, and this seems like as good a place as any.

With the old vB if I added friends to my list it meant no one could send me a PM unless they were on my list.

Has that changed? has a "Friends List" become just that where there isn't a further restriction on who can PM me?

Thanks
Bruce

Slim Odds
April 22nd, 2008, 06:49 PM
The overall look is fine.

In long messages, there is way to much white-space.

Having numerous thread titles preceded by "ubuntu" (as an example) and in the exact same font as the title, make it very hard to pick out the titles quickly. Either change the font (or color) or just remove it.

peterdk
April 22nd, 2008, 07:11 PM
The only thing that bothers me really are those "last post" white bar messages on the frontpage. They really distract!

LaRoza
April 22nd, 2008, 08:02 PM
The only thing that bothers me really are those "last post" white bar messages on the frontpage. They really distract!

You can collapse them (the little + and - on the sides)

mips
April 22nd, 2008, 08:30 PM

+1

While they fix this use 'Advanced Search' an enter your userid to search for all you posts.

super breadfish
April 22nd, 2008, 09:02 PM
Theme doesn't seem too bad, bar a bit of tweaking. Contrast issues mostly - the black lines are harsh on the eyes, and I almost mistook the most recent post bars on the homepage for adverts.
Only real gripe is that all my subscribed threads have gone.

Any big change is bound to have problems. The trick is to not go too far. A gaming forum I used to use lost vast chunks of it's core community (including myself) after the design team got carried away and abandoned the old minimalism.

riven0
April 22nd, 2008, 11:21 PM
Another thing I forgot to add is that I really preferred having the user avatar and coffee beans on top, instead of to the side. It made the forum look unique and interesting.

BTW, I've been looking at the UserCP and can't find any way to hide the post count. Am I going blind or what?

LaRoza
April 23rd, 2008, 12:07 AM
BTW, I've been looking at the UserCP and can't find any way to hide the post count. Am I going blind or what?

Yes, you are ;) It is in the FAQ.

Lolicon
April 23rd, 2008, 12:38 AM
I used to "make" a new thread each time I was looking up how to do something, but now it seems that it doesn't look for simular searches anymore. Was this intentional?

Edit: Also I can't make any new threads in ABT for some reason. <- nevermind it fixed itself.

LaRoza
April 23rd, 2008, 01:19 AM
I used to "make" a new thread each time I was looking up how to do something, but now it seems that it doesn't look for simular searches anymore. Was this intentional?

All the plugins and tools aren't implemented yet.

Diabolis
April 23rd, 2008, 01:28 AM
A gaming forum I used to use lost vast chunks of it's core community (including myself) after the design team got carried away and abandoned the old minimalism.

I hope this doesn't happen.

I really think that the text boxes should be white. The first time I visited the forums, after the upgrade, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to write in the gray spaces.

Another thing I forgot to add is that I really preferred having the user avatar and coffee beans on top, instead of to the side. It made the forum look unique and interesting.

+1

delfick
April 23rd, 2008, 02:53 AM
well, it's certainly a change :)
(I think I've been through two major forum changes, both times I remember not liking the new them at first, so I'm sure this one will grow on me too :))

I can't wait till you're able to have the user information above the posts (if you manage to be able to do it), it is much better :)

I like the new look of each forum section where the thread titles have more vertical space either side of them. Though does this mean that there is less threads that can be viewed there, or is it the same amount as before?

also, can it expand to the whole width of the screen like before ? (I don't use a widescreen, but I'm sure many people do... )

and finally, the index page is too busy, there is too much information crammed together. (is it possible for themes to have options, so the user can choose to have less or more information displayed on the index?

btw, thnx for continuing to work and maintain the forum :) (especially ubuntu-geek, coming from the compiz-fusion community (we finally have a forum theme :) (after half a year)) I can sort of see how it's not an easy two minute process :p

Ripfox
April 23rd, 2008, 04:59 AM
This imho is a regression in functionality. I absolutely dislike it severely.

LaRoza
April 23rd, 2008, 05:00 AM
This imho is a regression in functionality. I absolutely dislike it severely.

Give it time. There is a list of things to be done.

Think of it as an RC of UF.

Ripfox
April 23rd, 2008, 05:05 AM
I can do that.

barbedsaber
April 23rd, 2008, 05:49 AM
I havn't found it slow, but I still dont really like it.

Still, I will give it at least a week, so you guys can work out th ebugs, and you never know, maybe I will get used to the new look.

(I would like to see a theme chooser, so we can have the April fools day themes back)

graabein
April 23rd, 2008, 08:55 AM
I rather like the new theme and I have some thoughts about it:

Input text boxes should be white. Gray usually means disabled.
Bookmarks and tags at the bottom could be side-by-side in columns instead of one over the other.
Thank you button and thanks could be integrated with reply and quote buttons, and have number of thanks as icons in post header instead of beneath the post with the name of the thanker.

kevdog
April 23rd, 2008, 12:32 PM
Give it time. There is a list of things to be done.

You should have seen what it used to look like!

This is like justifying bad design with bad design.

I'm giving it time and I'm finding it not all that bad, however just wish it could have been more polished when it was launched. The excessive space between posts (the white space as people call it) does add for a lot more scrolling. That and the inconsistent slow-downs of the forums -- I really can't believe that activity today or yesterday has been vastly different than previously. Once Hardy is released I'm sure a flury of activity will result -- this makes me nervous since the server load seems to be challenged already.

vexorian
April 23rd, 2008, 01:19 PM
Has anyone else heard of "if it is not broken, don't fix it?" The forum was great in the past, it looks like this new vBulletin version is going to mark vB's death we all FLOSS radicals were awaiting for.

This version of vB is terrible! I can't even do quick replies... and I have ubuntuforums enabled in noscript. Or do you want me to enable this mysterious "yahapis" one? I won't since nobody has explained me what it is needed for, I don't want to give javascript rights to unknown domains.

But really, I don't mind the blatant adverts in the bottom of the forum layout (Digg is owned by Microsoft #$%!) , but a non-working quick-reply button really pisses me off, quick reply is the only reason to ever use vB, now that it doesn't work, could we move to SMB? At least it is FOSS.

Why on earth implement an RC on such a major forum as this one?

delfick
April 23rd, 2008, 01:40 PM
ummm, what do you mean quick reply doesn't work ? (see screenshot)

you do know you have to click on the quick reply button to the right of the quote button on a post to use quick reply ?
always have on these forums.....

:)

Bruce M.
April 23rd, 2008, 02:43 PM

RC of UF ??
UF - OK, Ubuntu Forums

RC - ??

Linux&Gsus
April 23rd, 2008, 02:47 PM
I would agree that it would be nice if someone could explain what this "yahooapis" is. I, as well, have it blocked in noscript at the moment. It looks like certain functionality depends on it, e.g. using the WYSIWYG editor. Means, if I click on something like making text bold simply nothing happens, or inserting emoticons, etc. I have to do that by writing it out "by hand".
That is probably the same issue with the quick reply. If I click on that link/button nothing happens, but then I can click into the quick reply window and erase and write text.

What I don't understand, though, are the complaints about the whitespace. Yes, if there is just little text in a post there is a bit of a gap because of the user info on the left side. But in the forum version before it was on top of the post which probably results in the same amount of space needed. Maybe it needs even less space now since it does not need the space on top of the post.
There are really bigger issues that maybe having to scroll a tiny little bit more, if that is really the case, anyway. E.g. the gray input fields always look to me like a inactive field.

But maybe I'm just too relaxed so that this could really **** me off.

I think the admins doing a great job.
Cheers,
Steve

Linux&Gsus
April 23rd, 2008, 02:48 PM
RC of UF ??
UF - OK, Ubuntu Forums

RC - ??

RC = Release Candidate

adityakavoor
April 23rd, 2008, 02:52 PM
I can't search my own posts and threads easily .. sad

Bruce M.
April 23rd, 2008, 02:59 PM
RC = Release Candidate

Thank you, Linux&Gsus.

CHIMO!
Bruce

Diabolis
April 23rd, 2008, 03:03 PM
Now the "unanswered threads" option is gone from the "Search" menu. I hope is part of the bug fixing process.

If this is a RC, when it is supposed to be ready?

I think tags are a really god idea, but prefixes are unnecessary. I think that having prefixes is redundant.

MONODA
April 23rd, 2008, 03:09 PM
i miss the old theme, it was awesome!

vexorian
April 23rd, 2008, 06:15 PM
you do know you have to click on the quick reply button to the right of the quote button on a post to use quick reply ?

You mean the "do nothing" button that does nothing when you click it?

This means quick reply is bugged and discriminates against certain browsers, this is a downgrade.

LaRoza
April 23rd, 2008, 06:17 PM
Now the "unanswered threads" option is gone from the "Search" menu. I hope is part of the bug fixing process.

If this is a RC, when it is supposed to be ready?

I think tags are a really god idea, but prefixes are unnecessary. I think that having prefixes is redundant.

If you see the default vBulletin theme, you will see how much work this was for ubuntu-geek.

Everything had to be done, and many things had to be fixed and tweaked. They are still being fixed.

The software is stable to use, but it is still be configured for this forum.

It is ready now for use, but it needs to be live to be tested.

MaX
April 23rd, 2008, 07:43 PM
There's too much whitespace going on on each post.

The user name should be to the right of the post not under it, that would compact things togeather a bit and still have enough whitespace to separate the different posts.

cubeist
April 23rd, 2008, 07:52 PM
I absolutely agree. The amount of pure white space is especially glaring when using a dark theme. It seems things could be condensed more thoughtfully.

DarinB
April 23rd, 2008, 07:58 PM
Ok i am a beginner and i do have a job...i do not have time to figure this sh**Stuff out. ALL i need is to be able to find answers to my posts,,,
if one day i learn enough i will be able to answer posts as well.
BUT for now i want to be able to get to my posts and my posted threads...

HOW DO I DO THAT NOW???????????????????????????????????

LaRoza
April 23rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
Ok i am a beginner and i do have a job...i do not have time to figure this sh**Stuff out. ALL i need is to be able to find answers to my posts,,,

Here are your posts: http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=39737252

Here are your threads: http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=39737260

(See your profile, under "statistics")

Fixman
April 23rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
I agree. There should be less whitespace, or maybe let you change to the old format of the forums?

LaRoza
April 23rd, 2008, 08:36 PM
I agree. There should be less whitespace, or maybe let you change to the old format of the forums?

The old version of vBulletin isn't the same as this one theme-wise.

This theme will be tweaked (just like the old one) for a long time I think.

I don't know how long we had the old theme (over a year, it was here when I joined) and we had this one for a few days, so give it time.

popch
April 23rd, 2008, 08:40 PM
How do you do that? Wherever I look there appear new posts of yours to be popping up. Yet you never seem to be online. I always see the unlit moon and never the lit sun besides your posts.

LaRoza
April 23rd, 2008, 08:43 PM
How do you do that? Wherever I look there appear new posts of yours to be popping up. Yet you never seem to be online. I always see the unlit moon and never the lit sun besides your posts.

We are embedded in the software/hardware. I am the software and hardware you could say.

I might have it set to hide me when I am online, I don't know (I haven't changed my settings in a while so I don't remember what they are)

Whenever I look at my posts, I am online, so I don't rely on suns and moons. If you want to know if I am online, run this command:

ping -c 1 ubuntuforums.org

If you get a response, I am most likely online and watching.

popch
April 23rd, 2008, 08:47 PM
I am the software and hardware you could say..

Ha!

You fail miserably at the inverse Turing test (which I just invented, so don't worry if you haven't heard of it yet). I do not believe a word - nay - not even a bit of what you're telling here.

And thanks for all the - dead horses with flies.

LaRoza
April 23rd, 2008, 08:49 PM
Ha!

You fail miserably at the inverse Turing test (which I just invented, so don't worry if you haven't heard of it yet). I do not believe a word - nay - not even a bit of what you're telling here.

And thanks for all the - dead horses with flies.

http://xkcd.com/329/

I like that particular gif.

popch
April 23rd, 2008, 08:52 PM
I like that particular gif.

sstusick
April 24th, 2008, 01:58 AM
i miss the old theme, it was awesome!Me too, and it was.

At least give us the option of changing how we want user information displayed. Isn't that the idea of Ubuntu? Giving users a choice?

LaRoza
April 24th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Me too, and it was.

At least give us the option of changing how we want user information displayed. Isn't that the idea of Ubuntu? Giving users a choice?

No, that isn't the idea of Ubuntu. Wikipedia has good information on Ubuntu philosophy, and the ubuntu.com site has information on the distro's philosophy.

I think people don't understand the time that was put into this. ubuntu-geek put 80 hours in to get this forum version up, not counting the work he continues to do. Give it time to be refined.

kevdog
April 24th, 2008, 02:53 AM
I dont really get the tags -- like ubuntu, kubuntu, etc at the beginning of each thread listing. Take for example the network forums. Items discussed in this thread are applicable to all different distribution types, so who cares about the tag?? Its totally meaningless. It just get in the way in regards to the readability of the thread title.

Technoviking
April 24th, 2008, 03:01 AM
I would agree that it would be nice if someone could explain what this "yahooapis" is. I, as well, have it blocked in noscript at the moment. It looks like certain functionality depends on it, e.g. using the WYSIWYG editor. Means, if I click on something like making text bold simply nothing happens, or inserting emoticons, etc. I have to do that by writing it out "by hand".
That is probably the same issue with the quick reply. If I click on that link/button nothing happens, but then I can click into the quick reply window and erase and write text.

Yahoo API Javascript, vBB 3.7 uses it.

Mike

Linux&Gsus
April 24th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Hi Viking,
thanks for explaining, so I guess I'm right that the WYSIWYG functionality depends on that? But what else is it doing, some stats like Google Analytics? I personally just don't like the idea to potentially give uncontrolled info to any of the big players.
Ya know, I'm a bit paranoid... ;)

Cheers,
Steve

Linux&Gsus
April 24th, 2008, 05:17 AM

Compared to me you are a pro, I just joined this forum this month. Anyways, at the bottom, after finish writing your comment, activate "Thread Subscription". Choose the option you want and be happy. You get an email or what ever you choose, for sure it's in your user control panel. Right there on the page that comes up when clicking the link "User CP".

Life can be so easy.

And I STILL fail to see why this new forum design should suck up more space then the old one. Guys guys guys, get a cappa, breath, relax and enjoy life. There are really bigger problems out there in the world.
And I still don't know how someone potentially could switch from one OS to another if that change of design here is already too much.

I really get the impression that none of you ever had played around with something like this. It is a ton of work and everything works so far. There might be more functionality coming and more tweaks to make it working even better.
If you want something perfect then stop using computers at all. So, for the sake of everything that's holy, would you please stop complaining, that's embarrassing guys. Rather offer your help and/or make suggestions in a friendly way.

Cheers,
Steve

riven0
April 24th, 2008, 06:14 AM
I think people don't understand the time that was put into this. ubuntu-geek put 80 hours in to get this forum version up, not counting the work he continues to do. Give it time to be refined.

I am slowly getting used to, despite my initial objections. I think the fact that it was so unpolished made a lot of members view it negatively, including me. I still say the avatar and beans should be on top, though. And it still needs some more color. Forum users should have some vote on these things look.

LaRoza
April 24th, 2008, 06:16 AM
I am slowly getting used to, despite my initial objections. I think the fact that it was so unpolished made a lot of members view it negatively, including me. I still say the avatar and beans should be on top, though. And it still needs some more color. Forum users should have some vote on these things look.

Some like it the way it is (actually, I don't like it all on the side, but that is the way it is)

Forum users do have a say, but there are time and software restrictions.

erginemr
April 24th, 2008, 06:51 AM
OK. There seems to be a new bug to be addressed:

The thread tools at the top of the page shows "Subscribe to this Thread", instead of "Unsubscribe" as before, for the topics already subscribed. And tries to subcribe again when clicked.

bapoumba
April 24th, 2008, 01:41 PM
OK. There seems to be a new bug to be addressed:

The thread tools at the top of the page shows "Subscribe to this Thread", instead of "Unsubscribe" as before, for the topics already subscribed. And tries to subcribe again when clicked.
Hmm, yes.. Thanks, notificationated :)

soxs
April 24th, 2008, 01:50 PM
All over I liuke the new theme, but 2 (extremly) small complaints:
- In some places it lacks a contrast (Like the textfield background textfield and its surrounding)
- The *online* pic should be next to the name, does not really make sense to place it next to the report button
- Where is the thx-count shown?

rasmus91
April 24th, 2008, 01:56 PM
this format is fine... i don't see your problem at all! :confused:

Artificial Intelligence
April 24th, 2008, 01:56 PM
UG we want the old theme back!!!!1 :mad::mad::mad:

notwen
April 24th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Hmm, yes.. Thanks, notificationated :)

Lawl, you said 'notificationated'. Lawl

bapoumba
April 24th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Lawl, you said 'notificationated'. Lawl
Yes I did ;)

vexorian
April 24th, 2008, 02:44 PM
this format is fine... i don't see your problem at all! :confused:

many vB mods the site used to have are gone, the one that automatically searched for similar threads after typing your title, and the thanks system for example...

I really see no point in installing this vB version, it looks like vB has jumped the shark...

brunolabs
April 24th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I also hate this new look.
Plus, the search tool is slow and very annoying when not logged in.

notwen
April 24th, 2008, 03:47 PM
You ppl need to calm down on bashing the forum upgrade, ubuntu-geek is handling the majority of this upgrade solo. Give him time to acknowledge issues and address them. I personally have a couple of things that I disagree w/ but he is making good progress in correcting issues, just give it some time. =]

pedrotuga
April 24th, 2008, 04:00 PM
The "find all your threads" link is working again. Thank you. Great job!
Now we have an improved look IMO and the good old features are popping up :)

The only thing I'm missing is the similar threads thing when one types the title of a new message. Besides being an efficient search i believe it reduces the noise threads in the forums.

Nice job. Keep up the good work.
BTW, nice screenshot, i didn't know these forums started as unofficial.

cubeist
April 24th, 2008, 06:03 PM

I retract my previous complaint... the new style just took a couple days to get used to. I for one appreciate the amount of time and effort people have put into the new forums =D>

ps - thanks for bringing back the "find all your posts/threads" quick search!

LaRoza
April 24th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I retract my previous complaint... the new style just took a couple days to get used to. I for one appreciate the amount of time and effort people have put into the new forums =D>

I told you. The staff had a head start, as we were on the testing site for some time while the work was being done. So we saw the progress as it came (I tell, sometimes the forum just looked wacky during this time), so we find it easier to accept this version.

many vB mods the site used to have are gone, the one that automatically searched for similar threads after typing your title, and the thanks system for example...

I really see no point in installing this vB version, it looks like vB has jumped the shark...

They will be brought back. One doesn't do a major upgrade, and have every little thing working immediately. If you think vB has jumped the shark, so be it, but that isn't how that phrase is supposed to be used.

You saw no point? You want the security issues to be still present? You want to have an incompatible forum in the near future?

meanburrito920
April 24th, 2008, 11:32 PM

My thoughts exactly.

Diabolis
April 25th, 2008, 01:10 AM
I've been noticing all the changes and the forums are looking good once again. Congrats! :KS

ubuntu-geek
April 25th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Sometimes its just takes a little time ;)

delfick
April 25th, 2008, 02:00 AM
hey, ubuntu-geek :)

what's the chances of getting user information to the top of the posts again ? :)

Diabolis
April 25th, 2008, 02:13 AM
what's the chances of getting user information to the top of the posts again ?

+1

Maybe we could make a poll.

delfick
April 25th, 2008, 02:14 AM
+1

Maybe we could make a poll.

going from the faq, it sounded like a technical restriction.....

hmm, I just noticed the thanks stuff is back :)
and the search box at the top...

LaRoza
April 25th, 2008, 02:15 AM
hey, ubuntu-geek :)

what's the chances of getting user information to the top of the posts again ? :)

going from the faq, it sounded like a technical restriction.....

Personally, I want it back to the top layout as before, but not for the way it looks ;)

delfick
April 25th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Personally, I want it back to the top layout as before, but not for the way it looks ;)

?

Diabolis
April 25th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
Personally, I want it back to the top layout as before, but not for the way it looks

Because it saves space then, I'm guessing.
I prefer it on top because it looks cooool.

delfick
April 25th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Because it saves space then, I'm guessing.
I prefer it on top because it looks cooool.

same :)

LaRoza
April 25th, 2008, 02:21 AM
?

Ok, I will confess.

The infraction button used to be on the top right of posts (next to "Report"), now it is on the bottom left. Long posts (typical of spam) make it a pain to scroll down to the end of the post to give the infraction.

I want it on top of the post!

delfick
April 25th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Ok, I will confess.

The infraction button used to be on the top right of posts (next to "Report"), now it is on the bottom left. Long posts (typical of spam) make it a pain to scroll down to the end of the post to give the infraction.

lol, that's a great reason :p

arijarot
April 25th, 2008, 02:23 AM
I dislike the new forum format too.

kdarkentity
April 25th, 2008, 02:27 AM
downgrade!!! switch Back To The Previous Layout!!!

LaRoza
April 25th, 2008, 02:29 AM
downgrade!!!switch Back To The Previous Layout!!!

Not going to happen.

It would be impossible, and harmful to the community if it were done.

Diabolis
April 25th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Originally Posted by kdarkentity View Post
downgrade!!!switch Back To The Previous Layout!!!
A downgrade is UNACCEPTABLE and probably won't happen, you better get along with the new forums hehe.

Ok, I will confess.

lol, this is a strong argument and probes that the old layout is better.
I don't think that anyone could find a good enough reason to keep it as it is, so I'll just sit and wait for it to happen.

LaRoza
April 25th, 2008, 02:35 AM
lol, this is a strong argument and probes that the old layout is better.
I don't think that anyone could find a good enough reason to keep it as it is, so I'll just sit and wait for it to happen.

It is minor, actually. There are many things that make mods grit our teeth (moving lots of posts to the Jail is a pain) but we do it anyway because the pay is so good.

I like the way it looks now, but the infraction button would be better on top. (for anyone thinking it is easy to give infractions by accident, it does give an infraction when you press it. You have to do other things to actually give it)

Diabolis
April 25th, 2008, 02:38 AM
There are many things that make mods grit our teeth (moving lots of posts to the Jail is a pain) but we do it anyway because the pay is so good.

kevdog
April 25th, 2008, 02:44 AM
To my chagrin, I do see a lot of progress with the forums these past few days. I will give credit where it is due -- thanks Ubuntu-Geek!

delfick
April 25th, 2008, 02:46 AM
so what reasons are there not to make the user information appear above the post?

also, why not have the infraction button at the top right like the compiz-fusion forums (/me looks at the compiz-fusion forums) ...
they have user information at the top (screenshot attached) so it can't be a technical reason to not have user info at the top ... :)

LaRoza
April 25th, 2008, 02:47 AM
so what reasons are there not to make the user information appear above the post?

also, why not have the infraction button at the top right like the compiz-fusion forums (/me looks at the compiz-fusion forums) ...
they have user information at the top (screenshot attached) so it can't be a technical reason... :)

If it is possible, it is likely a theme issue. Make it work first before adding options.

Diabolis
April 25th, 2008, 02:48 AM
wow that image displayed soooo cool.

delfick
April 25th, 2008, 02:49 AM
wow that image displayed soooo cool.

what image?

LaRoza
April 25th, 2008, 02:50 AM
what image?

The attached thumbnails now have this popup effect instead of a new tab.

I dislike that aspect, because you (or at least, I can't) scroll without making it disappear.

delfick
April 25th, 2008, 02:51 AM
The attached thumbnails now have this popup effect instead of a new tab.

hmm, cool...

(I always middle click pretty much everything :))

I dislike that aspect, because you (or at least, I can't) scroll without making it disappear.

same

riven0
April 25th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Finally! There is some color in the forum now. It beginning to look better and better. Good job, mods. :popcorn:

LaRoza
April 25th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Finally! There is some color in the forum now. It beginning to look better and better. Good job, mods. :popcorn:

Admins, specifically, ubuntu-geek. Mods don't have such forum access.

riven0
April 25th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Admins, specifically, ubuntu-geek. Mods don't have such forum access.

The admins, then. Good job, ubuntu-geek. :popcorn:

Partyboi2
April 25th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Under the old format when you subscribed to a thread, there was a tracking icon next to it so that when it appeared in the forum you could see that it was one of the threads you had subscribed to. Does anyone know if this feature will be returning?

litemotiv
April 25th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Seriously hating this new forum format!!

LaRoza
April 25th, 2008, 08:34 AM

Seriously be more constructive than that

popch
April 25th, 2008, 08:43 AM
In order to save time and effort for the next major change in our forum, I suggest we should start now bemoaning the future disappearance of features which we disapprove of most right now just after they are introduced.

So, now:

Why did the miserable dolts who claim to be in charge of this forum suddenly and without warning drop all the white space after the text of short individual posts?

delfick
April 25th, 2008, 09:03 AM

we should make the default font format just that

give people something to really complain about ...

lol

*shakes head at the abuse of formatting*

D-EJ915
April 26th, 2008, 03:26 AM
That would require two (or more) themes to be written. One is hard enough.
You could just let us use the default theme.

The lines that wrap around the posts are annoying, makes the page stretch out vertically but they're nowhere near as bad as the bars and excessive white space between thread titles in the forums.

The last part, at least, should be an easy fix.

GoliathWest
April 26th, 2008, 04:04 AM
This new format is horrible. Who the hell thought of this?
Who is managing (or not) this site? An incredibly inefficient forum. Where are new posts added? why is it so slow? The search engine sucks.

LaRoza
April 26th, 2008, 04:11 AM
This new format is horrible. Who the hell thought of this?
Who is managing (or not) this site? An incredibly inefficient forum. Where are new posts added? why is it so slow? The search engine sucks.

Thanks for the constructive advise. We appreciate it in light of the hours spent of the admins personal time in making this forum.

The software had to be upgraded, and the theme had to be rebuild from the ground up, we are so sorry it doesn't have the polish of the last theme that had been tweaked for over a year. A few days work should be enough to get that level of development.

The slowness is now due to the 16000 ungrateful people logging in and posting at the same time. We regret that this forum is so useful that people use it.

The creation of search engines is a specialty, and is quite complex. The processing power needed to create a good search engine is rather high, which is why google has thousands of dedicated servers for searching. This forum has to be a database server, a file server, a media server, and cope with queries and database updates constantly. I know, it should also be able to be an efficient search engine as well. We regret reality is getting in the way.

st33med
April 26th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Thanks for the constructive advise. We appreciate it in light of the hours spent of the admins personal time in making this forum.

The software had to be upgraded, and the theme had to be rebuild from the ground up, we are so sorry it doesn't have the polish of the last theme that had been tweaked for over a year. A few days work should be enough to get that level of development.

The slowness is now due to the 16000 ungrateful people logging in and posting at the same time. We regret that this forum is so useful that people use it.

The creation of search engines is a specialty, and is quite complex. The processing power needed to create a good search engine is rather high, which is why google has thousands of dedicated servers for searching. This forum has to be a database server, a file server, a media server, and cope with queries and database updates constantly. I know, it should also be able to be an efficient search engine as well. We regret reality is getting in the way.

Agreed. I also have to say it is easy on the eyes, however.

And I am not ungrateful to those IT people managing the forums.

init1
April 26th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Seriously loving this new forum format!!
This new theme is an improvement to the last I think.

tango_ninja
April 26th, 2008, 04:53 AM
I second (or third, or fourth...whatever) the opinion that this new format is better than the old. A few kinks still to be worked out in terms of customisation (e.g. mark as solved), but appearance-wise it's great!

litemotiv
April 26th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Seriously be more constructive than that

Fair enough. ;-)

It makes no sense to push through a big change like this around the same time hardy heron is released. Actually, nothing should have been released until the underlying system was properly polished and brought up to par with the old one, preferrably in a beta testing environment. This is the first place people come looking for guidance when they're in trouble with their brand new hardy installation, and the last thing you want to give them is an extra "omg what happened here i'm lost" feeling.

Alignment, whitespacing, fontsizing, boxcoloring; the internal visual discernment of the old layout is mainly lost with this new one, a forum admin won't need my constructive criticism to see that (hopefully).

To roughly sum up what a decent layout needs:

1. Precedence (Guiding the Eye)
Good web design, perhaps even more than other type of design, is about information. One of the biggest tools in your arsenal to do this is precedence. When using a good design, the user should be led around the screen by the designer.

2. Spacing
When I first started designing I wanted to fill every available space up with stuff. Empty space seemed wasteful. In fact the opposite is true.

3. Navigation
One of the most frustrating experiences you can have on a website is being unable to figure out where to go or where you are.

4. Design to Build
Life has gotten a lot easier since web designers transitioned to CSS layouts, but even now it's still important to think about how you are going to build a site when you're still in Photoshop.

5. Typography
Text is the most common element of design, so it's not surprising that a lot of thought has gone into it.

6. Usability
Web design ain't just about pretty pictures. With so much information and interaction to be effected on a website, it's important that you the designer, provide for it all. That means making your website design usable.

7. Alignment
Keeping things lined up is as important in web design as it is in print design. That's not to say that everything should be in a straight line, but rather that you should go through and try to keep things consistently placed on a page. Aligning makes your design more ordered and digestible, as well making it seem more polished.

8. Clarity (Sharpness)
Keeping your design crisp and sharp is super important in web design. And when it comes to clarity it's all about the pixels.

9. Consistency
Consistency means making everything match. Heading sizes, font choices, colouring, button styles, spacing, design elements, illustration styles, photo choices... Everything should be themed to make your design coherent between pages and on the same page.

Taken from this excellent article: 9 Essential Principles for Good Web Design (http://psdtuts.com/designing-tutorials/9-essential-principles-for-good-web-design/).

More useful reading here: How C.R.A.P is Your Site Design? (http://www.thinkvitamin.com/features/design/how-crap-is-your-site-design)

Eons ago when I was taking the Freshman web design course in college (okay, it was only 4 years ago) I was taught about the acronym of all acronyms, the one by which all other web design acronyms were judged. We learned that good design is based on the C.R.A.P. principles where C.R.A.P. stands for Contrast Repetition Alignment Proximity, and when Creative Directors tell you that your design is crap, they’re actually giving you positive reinforcement. Okay, that last part was made up, sorry. “Crappy work” is probably not a term of endearment but rather an indication that your pixels smell.

delfick
April 26th, 2008, 11:25 AM
besides the grey background for text input areas (and the index page, which actually does look better somehow, maybe I'm just getting used to it, but when I first saw it, I couldnt "see the wood for the trees" (though that is mainly cause I can't focus properly on large bunches of text, it's one of the reasons I generaly break up my posts into many short paragraphs)), the theme is actually looking rather nice :)

it definitely has improved over the last few days...

also, I'm slightly confused by comments about new users getting lost because the theme changed.....

it doesn't make sense, how can they get lost when it's exactly the same as before, except slightly different colours and the user information is to the left rather than above the posts, let alone the fact a new user would be new to the forum and hence not notice the fact there this is different than before (due to the fact they don't know what it was like before)....

litemotiv
April 26th, 2008, 11:53 AM
besides the grey background for text input areas (and the index page, which actually does look better somehow, maybe I'm just getting used to it, but when I first saw it, I couldnt "see the wood for the trees" (though that is mainly cause I can't focus properly on large bunches of text, it's one of the reasons I generaly break up my posts into many short paragraphs)), the theme is actually looking rather nice :)

Well i don't think it looks nice, but designing a proper interface is really not a matter of taste anyway. ;)

it definitely has improved over the last few days...

True.

also, I'm slightly confused by comments about new users getting lost because the theme changed.....

it doesn't make sense, how can they get lost when it's exactly the same as before, except slightly different colours and the user information is to the left rather than above the posts, let alone the fact a new user would be new to the forum and hence not notice the fact there this is different than before (due to the fact they don't know what it was like before)....

It's not only about new users, the 16k users mentioned are mostly people who have been here before and are looking for quick information regarding the new release. And what you said about focusing on large portions of text: that's exactly what a good interface should be helping you with, not just sit and look pretty.

Also, putting things (exactly?) in the same place but changing colors, fonts and/or sizes really makes a completely different viewing experience. The most important thing that is still lacking is proper precedence, there is no clear visual path for a user to follow , which is especially critical in a forum environment where much information is presented at the same time. Color usage (same background color for forum headings and forum listing on the main page for example) is one of the culprits here. So is the lack of discerning font-usage, for example the use of the same font-setting for the section-description and the subforum-listings. On the post pages, the thick rounded border around posts really only distracts from the actual content.

Ofcourse, setting up a proper forum interface is not as easy as it sounds, that's why it is crucial to think and test your design through extensively before throwing it online, especially on one of the most important forums on the net. ;)

angryhomer17
April 26th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Well, I'm not going to take the time to read through hundreds of posts and I'm not going to search for an answer either, because that's the damn problem.

Why do I have to enter some damn anti-spam words in order to search? It was bad enough having to wait 15 seconds between searches before, but now I cant even do a search without verifying that I can enter some words that dont even look like them.

This forum was pretty decent before, but now, because of this search hell (amongst other annoyances), I am very pissed off. Almost to the point of saying **** (great, you try to censor too) this forum.

Change is good. I'm not saying to keep the forum static and not ever upgrade, but there is a good way to do it and a bad way. This is a bad way.

1. The site just jumped to a new style without any real warning.
2. There seems to be little documentation to the change
3. Simple tasks like searching have become multi-step monstrosities
4. There is still lots of testing going on (how about a seperate beta forum to help fix lots of bugs first?

Just because you change things doesn't make them better. I think someone forgot to plan first before doing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDCA

Diabolis
April 26th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I used to be able to unsubscribe from a thread with the "thread tools" menu, how do I do it now?

LaRoza
April 26th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I used to be able to unsubscribe from a thread with the "thread tools" menu, how do I do it now?

That is a known bug, and is on the official forum bug list. I think you can do it from your profile for now.

It makes no sense to push through a big change like this around the same time hardy heron is released. Actually, nothing should have been released until the underlying system was properly polished and brought up to par with the old one, preferrably in a beta testing environment. This is the first place people come looking for guidance when they're in trouble with their brand new hardy installation, and the last thing you want to give them is an extra "omg what happened here i'm lost" feeling.

1. Precedence (Guiding the Eye)
Good web design, perhaps even more than other type of design, is about information. One of the biggest tools in your arsenal to do this is precedence. When using a good design, the user should be led around the screen by the designer.

2. Spacing
When I first started designing I wanted to fill every available space up with stuff. Empty space seemed wasteful. In fact the opposite is true.

3. Navigation
One of the most frustrating experiences you can have on a website is being unable to figure out where to go or where you are.

4. Design to Build
Life has gotten a lot easier since web designers transitioned to CSS layouts, but even now it's still important to think about how you are going to build a site when you're still in Photoshop.

5. Typography
Text is the most common element of design, so it's not surprising that a lot of thought has gone into it.

6. Usability
Web design ain't just about pretty pictures. With so much information and interaction to be effected on a website, it's important that you the designer, provide for it all. That means making your website design usable.

7. Alignment
Keeping things lined up is as important in web design as it is in print design. That's not to say that everything should be in a straight line, but rather that you should go through and try to keep things consistently placed on a page. Aligning makes your design more ordered and digestible, as well making it seem more polished.

8. Clarity (Sharpness)
Keeping your design crisp and sharp is super important in web design. And when it comes to clarity it's all about the pixels.

9. Consistency
Consistency means making everything match. Heading sizes, font choices, colouring, button styles, spacing, design elements, illustration styles, photo choices... Everything should be themed to make your design coherent between pages and on the same page.

Thanks for the information, better than the other ;)

Let me explain how the forum works here. Here, everyone is a volunteer. ubuntu-geek is the Kingpin. He did all the work on getting this forum up (the rest of us just complained about bugs for him to fix). Because there is essentially one person working, it takes more time to get things to the degree of development we desire. Assuming you found the old forum acceptable, this forum will surpass that in time. The best way (I would think) to get this forum the best it can be is too get feedback as early as possible. If we had a big development team and a testing team (which we don't) we would do things a little differently.

Also, only a matter of weeks ago we were excited to get over 13000 people online at once. Our current record is over 24000, and the load on the server is very high, with our old records smashed into smithereens. You mentioned Hardy. Hardy is the main reason for this surge. The old software would have collapsed into a quivering pile of...something. This software allowed the forums to be up with this load.

Vorian Grey
April 27th, 2008, 02:19 AM
I too like this format better. The forums seem faster now as well. Good job by everyone involved.

darolu
April 27th, 2008, 03:01 AM

1. Its superslooooow!
2. Theme -- Ugly

Ok -- enough complaining. Its not going to get me anywhere. But then again this is from a user who has complained before so take what I say with a grain of salt!

I completely agree, everything is harder to find now, when the "upgrade" supposedly was made to find things faster... didn't work, at all.
I really hate this new forum too.

LaRoza
April 27th, 2008, 03:03 AM
I completely agree, everything is harder to find now, when the "upgrade" supposedly was made to find things faster... didn't work, at all.
I really hate this new forum too.

It has made things faster. We have had a very high server load, with as many as 24000 users on at once. The old software would have collapsed. Yes it is slow because of it, but it works better than the other forum would have.

rsambuca
April 27th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Why have you removed the links to the main Ubuntu website? Kind of important, don't you think? I used to use those all the time to get to the community documentation pages etc.

delfick
April 27th, 2008, 04:06 PM
is it possible to make the forum remember when you've clicked one of those little boxes that are over the place displaying the latest post for that section ?

(both in the main index page and the index page for each section ?)

thnx :)

cause imho the first attached screenshot is better than the first in terms of readability :) but I still don't want to have to click boxes all the time :)

adityakavoor
April 27th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Please give the old theme back

sstusick
April 28th, 2008, 02:16 AM
+1

matthew
April 28th, 2008, 07:23 AM

+1

From the upgrade FAQ (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4761308#post4761308):

Q. I hate this upgrade, please go back to the previous version of the forum.
A. Sorry, we can't. :smile:

Q. Will the old theme be available?
A. No, there are no plans to make that theme available due to the template upgrades with vBulletin 3.7. We have ported or are porting the most important aspects of the former theme to the new template system, and we believe everything else will require a little bit of time to all of us to adjust.

sstusick
April 29th, 2008, 12:56 AM
It would be nice to have more options than we currently now have, that we once had.

The placement of the THANKS button is awkward, it would be better before the Quote, where it was before.

The online status of users should also be next to the user name, not down in the lower left hand corner.

And there is too much wasted space in posts, that is the biggest peeve of mine in the new format. At least give us the option of having user info on top instead of on the side, and I'd be happy.

LaRoza
April 29th, 2008, 01:01 AM
It would be nice to have more options than we currently now have, that we once had.

The placement of the THANKS button is awkward, it would be better before the Quote, where it was before.

The online status of users should also be next to the user name, not down in the lower left hand corner.

And there is too much wasted space in posts, that is the biggest peeve of mine in the new format. At least give us the option of having user info on top instead of on the side, and I'd be happy.

The current theme has to be finished before there are options...

sstusick
April 29th, 2008, 01:05 AM
The current theme has to be finished before there are options...
Ok :)

Diabolis
April 29th, 2008, 04:47 AM
oh man thank you so much for adding the "unsubscribe" option to the control panel. I just posted in the bump thread and I was getting all this bump mails, It was driving me crazy. Still looking forward to having it added to the thread tools.

VraiChevalier
April 29th, 2008, 05:43 PM

Dittos

NightwishFan
April 29th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I am already used to it. Whats to complain about?

MemoryDump
April 29th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I am already used to it. Whats to complain about?
I don't mind the new layout/template.. it's the performance that simply sucks! It seems as the day goes on that the forums slow down more and more.

matthew
April 29th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I don't mind the new layout/template.. it's the performance that simply sucks! It seems as the day goes on that the forums slow down more and more.That doesn't have anything to do with the software upgrade, it has to do with a massive influx of (very welcome) new members and guests browsing the forums now that 8.04 has been released. We have been setting records for numbers of people browsing concurrently.

Gotterdammerung
April 30th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I am really really hating this new forum. Since the upgrade I couldn't manage to do any search. This hateful image verification says I never write the correct words. And there's no way I'm mistyping so much words. Boy, this sucks big time... I'm using google to search ubuntuforums. It makes no sense!!!! :evil:

LaRoza
April 30th, 2008, 01:01 AM
I am really really hating this new forum. Since the upgrade I couldn't manage to do any search. This hateful image verification says I never write the correct words. And there's no way I'm mistyping so much words. Boy, this sucks big time... I'm using google to search ubuntuforms. It makes no sense!!!! :evil:

The search issue will be fixed soon.

(And your post is potentially ironic)

Gotterdammerung
April 30th, 2008, 02:35 AM
The search issue will be fixed soon.

(And your post is potentially ironic)

hummm... I'll change mistyping to miscopying. :-\"

LaRoza
April 30th, 2008, 03:02 AM
hummm... I'll change mistyping to miscopying. :-\"

No, the part about google was.

erginemr
April 30th, 2008, 10:15 AM
No, the part about google was.

The tip about Google search is quite a good idea indeed. Even before the forums update, I used to find my earlier posts or other posts relevant to specific problems via Google easier.

To find post/threads on a specific problem, one can write:

keyword1 keyword2 site:ubuntuforums.org
to the Google search box in Firefox. And to find his/her post on a specific topic, one can use:

keyword1 keyword2 user_name site:ubuntuforums.org

LaRoza
April 30th, 2008, 10:20 AM
The tip about Google search is quite a good idea indeed. Even before the forums update, I used to find my earlier posts or other posts relevant to specific problems via Google easier.

To find post/threads on a specific problem, one can write:

keyword1 keyword2 site:ubuntuforums.org
to the Google search box in Firefox. And to find his/her post on a specific topic, one can use:

keyword1 keyword2 user_name site:ubuntuforums.org

In Opera, you can use the address bar:

g site:ubuntuforums.org <search terms>

It would be kind of cool if google search were the default search engine, it would sure reduce the load on the servers and be faster. I don't know if that is possible though.

See the sticky on the the guide to forum features, there is a search engine already for UF.

it.henrik
April 30th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Im also trying to come up with some way of finding the information you want in the forums without having to dig through massive amounts of posts OR use google.

Please have a look in the thread in the link below and post some ideas on how it could be improved (and please, keep the posts with only complains in this big thread of complains :))

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=769287

Mark_in_Hollywood
April 30th, 2008, 11:13 PM
I liked being able to search for "zero reply" threads or posts or whatever they are called now.

The pages do look nicer, but that's not much help for a distressed user. The pages seem to load faster, too. Maybe that's my imagination.

it.henrik
April 30th, 2008, 11:23 PM
While we are at it, I think the forum looks nice and fancy but it uses way too much screen estate.

Lots of empty areas in the layout, seems inefficient to me who does not sits in front of a >= 24'.

Weidbrewer
May 2nd, 2008, 03:54 PM
I am really really hating this new forum. Since the upgrade I couldn't manage to do any search. This hateful image verification says I never write the correct words. And there's no way I'm mistyping so much words. Boy, this sucks big time... I'm using google to search ubuntuforums. It makes no sense!!!! :evil:

This, oh sweet, swirling onion rings - THIS. Over all, I have no problems with the forums update in general. Looks good, organization went up a notch, etc...but the search function went from bad to worse. It's never worked well at all to find threads, and now that it has image verification, it's even more of a hassle. I really just use Google to find things a lot faster and easier.

(The only other issue I've had is how ungodly slow these forums are, but I respect the fact that it's because of all the new comers.)

LaRoza: You say it will be fixed soon....so...cool. Thanks.

LaRoza
May 2nd, 2008, 04:26 PM
This, oh sweet, swirling onion rings - THIS. Over all, I have no problems with the forums update in general. Looks good, organization went up a notch, etc...but the search function went from bad to worse. It's never worked well at all to find threads, and now that it has image verification, it's even more of a hassle. I really just use Google to find things a lot faster and easier.

(The only other issue I've had is how ungodly slow these forums are, but I respect the fact that it's because of all the new comers.)

LaRoza: You say it will be fixed soon....so...cool. Thanks.

Well, they used something called "Sphinx" to do the searching, which is not the same as the default vBulletin search. They didn't do anything with the hope that the vBulletin search would have improved in the next version. It didn't. I am not sure if they are using Sphinx now, but I don't think it was yet updated for the new version.

They have a potential solution, and are looking into it. Personally, I think what they have is going to be a great improvement if they use it.

dagnabit dang doohickey
May 19th, 2008, 07:26 AM
While we are at it, I think the forum looks nice and fancy but it uses way too much screen estate.

Lots of empty areas in the layout, seems inefficient to me who does not sits in front of a >= 24'.

If you use Firefox, and have the Stylish (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2108) Add-on installed, the following code will make the fonts smaller and vertically tighten up the threads list a little bit:

@-moz-document domain(ubuntuforums.org)
{
body { font-size: 11px !important; }
.alt1 hr { margin-bottom: 0px !important; }
}

Mjölner
May 27th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Thanks to the Forum team for all the hard work you put in. (to the developer and all who are having to deal with the negative posts) ):P
The text is really clear and after a few visits the new format becomes "unnoticeable".

I found this thread when searching for ways to format my disk.