PDA

View Full Version : Post it How to/tutorial sticky sections which are links to how tos

Omnios
October 14th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Something similar to this has been mentioned before but this is a deviation that may be workable. In each applicable section there would be a sticky section on how to's. Now this part must be clear, the How to's do not go there. This how do sticky section could possibly work a bit different from the rest of the forum in that it is a linker section with a short description sort of a meta of how to's. For example:

start

Title: How to make a better how to sticky section.

Body:This section is about how to make a how to sticky section sith in depth instructions.

Link: www.whereever.com

end

The body of the post should be limited in characters to keep the actual sections in the sticky sections short. Also what is important is the link which is contained in its own forum post section. Lastly it may be possible to have search ability specificly with how to sticky sections. What this achieves is an area there newbies and vets alike may quicky go through a specific section on how to's etc.

Also sticky might be an actual section within the section it pertains to. Like the main section within an area say Backports for example.

Lastly the first entry should be the 5.10 unofficial starters guide.

What this achieves is make the forum a bit more newbie friendly giving them that little extra that Ubuntu stives to deliver.

XDevHald
October 14th, 2005, 09:18 PM
Your first topic on this post is really good because I agree with the how-to's being to long and need to be published somewhere else, to much space on the pages are being used because of it and need to be shortend to a link only how-to for a redirection.

*Great Idea*

Second topic of this post I will leave for the admins and mods to discuss further.

mlomker
October 15th, 2005, 02:04 AM
Something similar to this has been mentioned before but this is a deviation that may be workable. In each applicable section there would be a sticky section on how to's.

I've started something like that already in the Video & Sound forum. I've actually debated about 'closing' how-to threads once they are posted and have the discussion take place in another thread. I only like to see discussion of the how-to itself in the thread, but it invariably ends up troubleshooting people's problems or even more off topic.

The Admins are working on some longer-term solutions but they are still beta-testing and not ready to go public yet.