PDA

View Full Version : Would you object to having ads on the UF?

barbedsaber
April 17th, 2008, 04:49 AM
I was just thinking, hosting these forums obviously isn't free, and I personally wouldn't mind having ONE SMALL google ad sense thing in the corner.
let me be clear here, I am not talking big colourful banners, I mean text only.

What do ya think.
(Maybe they don't need to money anyway)

Triggerhapp
April 17th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Adsense, sure. The moment I see an animated fly or other beast, that makes an irritating whitenoise, im turning noscript on...

dyous87
April 17th, 2008, 04:54 AM
I agree adsense I would not mind but nothing distracting or annoying.

vishzilla
April 17th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Text-based is fine with me

FuturePilot
April 17th, 2008, 05:04 AM
If it's a must, only text based stuff.

But I have AdBlock :twisted:

-grubby
April 17th, 2008, 05:30 AM
I absolutely object to any ads of any kind. Canonical pays for these forums, which is funded by rich Mark Shuttleworth, so I doubt they're having fund problems

Tundro Walker
April 17th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Shuttleworth's goal is to make Canonical & Ubuntu self-sustaining, so I could see them exploring ad options. You have a targeted Linux user base camping the forums. They could run small ads for Canonical / Ubuntu gear, Linux stuff, System 76 & Dell comps with Ubuntu installed, etc.

As long as the ads were pertinent to the folks who came here, it wouldn't be a nuisance, as long as it's not those annoying, vibrating eye-sores or flash ads that take forever to load.

lingnoi
April 17th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Sounds like a good idea, although it could get in the way if inappropriately placed..

Have you thought about donations?

wieman01
April 17th, 2008, 06:59 AM
The UF are sponsored by Canonical, so ads aren't needed. It was different in the past, but funding is not an issue nowadays.

barbedsaber
April 17th, 2008, 07:24 AM
so if we don't NEED them, then, well, we don't need them.

Kevbert
April 17th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Small text based ads if necessary. With larger ads there's always a (very) small chance of adware, gleaning of user info, etc, so preferably none. It would need to be well vetted beforehand.

LaRoza
April 17th, 2008, 01:41 PM
As stated earlier, Canonical pays for the software and hardware. However, if the money from these ads will pay staff for the time we give to the forum, I don't think I can protest.

wieman01
April 17th, 2008, 02:30 PM
As stated earlier, Canonical pays for the software and hardware. However, if the money from these ads will pay staff for the time we give to the forum, I don't think I can protest.
Very unlikely. ;-)

Triggerhapp
April 17th, 2008, 09:43 PM

Actually, I like that idea. provided you never shout at me again LaRoza :( (joking, srsly)

Vadi
April 17th, 2008, 09:45 PM
The UF are sponsored by Canonical, so ads aren't needed. It was different in the past, but funding is not an issue nowadays.

Thanks, because I'd hate to see them here. I donat (http://www.ubuntu.com/community/donations)e, help out on forums, and to me, ads = begging for money, which I'd hate to see on these forums.

LaRoza
April 17th, 2008, 09:47 PM
ads = begging for money, which I'd hate to see on these forums.

Give me money, and I won't.

Kleist
April 17th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Well, I wouldn't mind. Anyway, most of the time I don't pay attention to ads and I have adblock plus in firefox which blocks the most annoying stuff.

:)

aysiu
April 27th, 2008, 09:37 PM
It looks as if yet another thread about this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=767098) has popped up.