PDA

View Full Version : Code Weavers -> Cross over games?

wwarsin
April 11th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Hello everybody, i was using linux for a few months, but i got tired of it because i couldnt run most of my games (apps ran fine with wine, or i just use the virtualization thing, and run windows with linux... (horrible for games)), i tried wine but only a few of them work, and i didnt like to restart into windows/linux (downtime :( ), so i ultimately went with windows, and got rid of linux, but i recently found myself at the winehq.com website, and just so happen to see a news announcement from March 26, named "CodeWeavers Releases CrossOver Games for Mac and Linux"

so i took a look at their site http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/ and found that its 40$ (there is a trial but im sure the trial is a lifetime trial :D ), i know theres a compatibility list http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/ and my games are on there

but has anyone tried this, like it, found it easy to use, and would recommend it, and is it worth40$?

-thanks for any replies

--edit--
I have the wrong prices is 40$ not 30$

cogadh
April 11th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I've been using the 7-day trial for a few days now and all I have to say is Cedega is in deep trouble. There is no way that subscription-based <expletive deleted> can compare to it. Installation of software is practically "one-click" easy and so far, everything I have tried has worked fine (Steam, HL2, Deus Ex: IW, KotOR 1&2). It has completely hands off configuration, with the option to tweak it all you want (for people like me who feel the need to mess things up). CX Games is based on the latest and greatest Wine, so if your game already runs in Wine, it should run great in CX Games. I highly recommend it, if only for its incredible ease of use as compared to its "older brother" Wine. I am definitely considering purchasing it myself.

wwarsin
April 11th, 2008, 10:42 PM
ive never used Cedega....

but after looking at how codeweavers is pricing the crossover stuff its kinda turning me away, 40$ for crossover games and another 40$ for applications (which i wound need)...

i looked in their wiki faq thing and you only get product upgrades for 6months (for the linux games), then you have to buy an extension to the support within 30 days, otherwise you have to buy a new subscription.... and i cannot find how much it is to upgrade the support

that kinda turns me off now, i think once you buy something you should ALWAYS recieve updates (maybe not tech support)

coolkid5
April 11th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Well if you don't like that, you really won't like Cedega, which is $5 a month.

cogadh
April 11th, 2008, 11:22 PM
CX Office and CX Games are two completely different products, of course they are going to charge a separate fee for each of them, that only makes sense.

When they are talking "upgrades" they are actually talking about new versions of the product, not patches and bugfixes. If you purchase a CX product, for the next 6 months, you are entitled to freely upgrade to any new version of the product that is released within that time. You are forever entitled to any patches and bugfixes that are released for the version of the product you own, but once a new version comes out they are unlikely to produce new patches for the previous version. At the end of that 6 months, the version you have will continue to work just as it always had up until then, but if you want to get the next version of it, you'll have to buy it. The "support extension" price is the same as buying a brand new copy of CX Games or Office.

wwarsin
April 12th, 2008, 01:37 AM
i know that the games and office are seperate, i just thought that was kinda wierd, but i guess it makes sense...

Well i musta read something worng or something, thanks for explaining that to me,
i guess ill have to try it first lol

--edit--
i looked at the free trial, its a 30 day trial not 7

Talorgan
April 13th, 2008, 11:42 AM
i know that the games and office are seperate

How different are they?

Would the office version allow you to play graphically unsophisticated games like Close Combat?

CarpKing
April 13th, 2008, 11:53 PM
How different are they?

Would the office version allow you to play graphically unsophisticated games like Close Combat?

Probably (depending on how well the game is supported by Wine). My understanding is that Crossover Games just has some game-specific tweaks.

rocky5051
April 14th, 2008, 12:06 AM
It's my understanding that they put the source up for CrossOver Games, so for anyone that understands how to compile programs, that might be a way to go. However, I downloaded the source, and the archive it came in contained seperate folders all for different programs, and it has me totally thrown off.

Pretty much if you want it for free, you have to work for it. (I wish I understood how to compile it...I'm too cheap to buy a copy :lolflag:)

cogadh
April 14th, 2008, 09:10 AM
CX Office is based on older, more stable versions of Wine while CX Games is based on the latest, bleeding-edge versions of Wine. Older versions of Wine have much less robust DirectX support, so don't expect any games from the DirectX 9 era to work in CX Office all that well. The only real difference between the CX products and regular Wine is CX has the GUI front end and some processes are a little more automated.

As for Compiling CX Games from source, to my knowledge, they haven't released the source (what they have on the site is actually Wine source), but you can get all the base functionality of CX Games without the GUI by just using the latest Wine package, which is free.