PDA

View Full Version : Any luck using Frontpage?

K.Morgan
April 11th, 2008, 07:33 PM
During my switch to Ubuntu i have managed to get everything i need in open source apart from a good web authoring tool. I've tried Komposer but it just doesn't cut it, so was wondering if anybody has managed to get Frontpage to work through wine?

Kristian

michaeljking
April 12th, 2008, 12:54 AM
When I changed over myself I still used frontpage for a while, but I then found a way to make it work for me.
I use free open source css templates which I modify slightly using Bluefish editor, (and Kompozer), and I add upload the webpage and modify/update things in Kompozer then I drag and paste the revised files into the folders online using ftp in Konqueror web browser.

My website is www.michaeljking.com (http://www.michaeljking.com), If you want you can use the internet wayback machine to see what it looked like under Frontpage and how it improved under linux and Kompozer.

I suppose for me I wanted a Linux solution for my business website so I made it work for me.

Colro
April 12th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Well, I personally grew to love Komposer quite a bit more then Frontpage after using it for awhile, but to each his own..

According to WINE's appdb, Frontpage 2003 does work, but it's a bit buggy. You'd probably be best off running it in VMWare or VirtualBox if it's mission critical for your job or something.

K.Morgan
April 12th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm just going to dual boot at the moment so that i can continue using Frontpage. Need to get my head around the Linux alternatives, and as michaeljking said eventually make it work for me.

Kristian