PDA

View Full Version : nvidia-glx

watchitman
December 8th, 2004, 01:41 PM
I installed the NVidia drivers from the somethingorother repository and I've had nothing but problems. I followed the directions in the WIKI and everything seemed to go ok until I rebooted. The X server kept rebooting over and over. I got the following warning message:

"There already appears to be an X server running on display :0. Should I try another display number? If you answer no, I will attempt to start the server on :0 again. (You can change consoles by pressing Ctrl-Alt plus a function key such as Ctrl-Alt-F7 to go to console 7. X servers usually run on console 7 and higher. <Yes> <No>"

It didn't matter whether I clicked yes or no, it just kept rebooting X when I attempted to move my mouse. Then the message would appear again and it did all this in an endless loop. I had to do a hard reboot to get out of it.

I've had to reinstall Ubuntu three times because of my problems with this (I'm persistent). Please advise, thank you.

watchitman
December 9th, 2004, 03:40 AM
Anyone?

watchitman
December 9th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Is anyone out there?

Artificial Intelligence
December 9th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Is it the Nvidia-glx version 1.0.6111-1ubuntu you're trying to install? There should be no problem installing them.

But I had the same problem with hoary, but not warty.

watchitman
December 9th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Is it the Nvidia-glx version 1.0.6111-1ubuntu you're trying to install? There should be no problem installing them.

But I had the same problem with hoary, but not warty.

Yes, that is the version I'm having trouble with. I'm not using Hoary.

GeneticFreek
December 15th, 2004, 04:09 AM
I followed the directions in OSNews' Preview of Ubuntu (http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=8407&page=4) and have had NVidia drivers working no problem. The steps are as follows:

1) Install nvidia-glx from the universe
2) Load the driver with the command 'sudo modprobe nvidia'
3) Add 'nvidia' to /etc/modules
4) run 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86' choosing 'nvidia' to the first driver question, and enabling 'glx' and disabling 'dri' and 'GLcore' from the list near the end.
5) Reload gnome with ctrl-alt-backspace

Hope this helps O:)