PDA

View Full Version : Comments on the multi-quote feature [was: "you know you're a geek when . . ."]

money2themax
April 10th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Sorry, wasn't quite in the mood (or within time constriants) to do a multiquote. I try not to double post.
they need to integrate multi-quote into this forum

p_quarles
April 10th, 2008, 01:50 AM
?

I'm not sure how it could be integrated any further . . .

money2themax
April 10th, 2008, 01:59 AM
it isn't you can only quote once at a time i can't check 3 post and then hit reply

p_quarles
April 10th, 2008, 02:02 AM

?

it isn't you can only quote once at a time i can't check 3 post and then hit reply
I can.

Frak
April 10th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I can.
Me too. I just had to go, so I hit quick-reply.

joe.turion64x2
April 10th, 2008, 04:15 AM
?

I know how (take it as a suggestion for the admins if you like), it would be as simple as putting a checkbox with each post and only one "Quote/Reply" button. All posts with checked checkbox should be quoted.

Thanks.
Joe.

p_quarles
April 10th, 2008, 05:34 AM
I know how (take it as a suggestion for the admins if you like), it would be as simple as putting a checkbox with each post and only one "Quote/Reply" button. All posts with checked checkbox should be quoted.

Thanks.
Joe.
But that's how it already works!

joe.turion64x2
April 10th, 2008, 06:01 AM
But that's how it already works!
Really?...Yes it does!!! (have just checked, never bothered to find out what was the little button next to "Quote" for) :popcorn:

Is that a recent 'feature'?

p_quarles
April 10th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Really?...Yes it does!!! (have just checked, never bothered to find out what was the little button next to "Quote" for) :popcorn:

Is that a recent 'feature'?
It's been there as long as I can remember. Perhaps it would be more noticeable if the button included text, like the "Quote" button does.

/me moves relevant posts to Forums Feedback & Help

money2themax
April 10th, 2008, 06:32 AM
it's just not noticeable i always thought it was the edit post button

pmasiar
April 10th, 2008, 01:54 PM
This is another hard-to-discover feature, like thanks.

Features which are hard to discover are useless, people will not know about them and will not use them. Having standard checkbox would be visual clue about that item as being active.

I know it has help if you hover mouse about it, but obviously half of the forum user are illiterate enough to never read it :-)

Thinking about it, it is scary how so many illiterate people still go by without reading and are able to use Ubuntu without problems :twisted:

LaRoza
April 10th, 2008, 01:58 PM

Features which are hard to discover are useless, people will not know about them and will not use them. Having standard checkbox would be visual clue about that item as being active.

I know it has help if you hover mouse about it, but obviously half of the forum user are illiterate enough to never read it :-)

Thinking about it, it is scary how so many illiterate people still go by without reading and are able to use Ubuntu without problems :twisted:

The anticipated forum upgrade may change that. Since this version of vBulletin is soon to be discarded, it is best to wait (and pray) for the new version.

money2themax
April 11th, 2008, 02:37 AM
thats the second vbullition using site i go to thats talking about upgrading

popch
April 11th, 2008, 09:02 AM

(...)

I know it has help if you hover mouse about it, but obviously half of the forum user are illiterate enough to never read it

Thinking about it, it is scary how so many illiterate people still go by without reading and are able to use Ubuntu without problems
Actually, it took quite some time until it occurred to me to hover on that particular icon.

When I did, I did not find the bubble text all that helpful: Multi-Quote This Message. Really, now, what exactly does that mean?

Being a bit stubborn not to say bloody-minded (which I doubt anyone has ever found out, of course) I then decided to experiment a bit in order to find out what on earth a 'Multi-Quote' could be and how to get one.

I now like the function quite a lot; I am also a bit impressed by the fact that it works for posts appearing on several pages.

However, speaking about undiscoverability is not an exaggeration.

PriceChild
April 11th, 2008, 12:29 PM
thats the second vbullition using site i go to thats talking about upgradingProbably because there's a shiny new version about to appear from vbulletin.com? :)

Forrest Gumpp
April 12th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Now everybody tells me!

This is yet another of those features that are only evident if you are logged-in. No little button displays beside the quote button unless you are logged-in.

popch and I went around the world for sixpence discussing how to achieve this functionality only a couple of weeks ago! Its all in the name!

"Multi quote this message". Why didn't I think to say that? Everybody would have known what functionality I was after. Everybody would have known that multi-quoting wasn't spamming, either.;) I must find some time to prepare those suggested page page pages - a set of labeled 'tours des page'.

popch
April 12th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Its all in the name!

Now that's funny. Just the other day we were discussing linguistics (or, rather, linguists) in another thread, in particular Whorf. In one of his popular texts he makes this very observation.