PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu TV Ad

chris82543
April 10th, 2008, 02:25 AM
I was thinking of ways to advertise for Ubuntu to the public, then this idea came to mind. What about an Ubuntu tv ad?:popcorn: Im shure through donations the Ubuntu community could come up with the cash to run the ad. I dont know really know how it would all come together, but I thought I would just pich it out to you guys.

Sporkman
April 10th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Sure, why not.

smartboyathome
April 10th, 2008, 02:39 AM
I've written a few ubuntu commercials. They are on my blog.

retrow
April 10th, 2008, 02:40 AM
There is no way we could ever raise enough money to run an ad during prime time (or otherwise) on mainstream TV channels. A 30 second ad would cost what 3-4 full time software programmers earn per year.

Now if we want to make a documentary which would explain the development of Open Source philosophy, creation of GNU, all the way up to how Ubuntu became a major player in Open Source operating systems - I would be personally willing to chip in a few bucks to help in production. This way we can actually make a bit of money to fund open source projects and host mirrors.

chris82543
April 10th, 2008, 02:43 AM
what about sponsors?

tubasoldier
April 10th, 2008, 02:49 AM
IBM ran a Linux ad during the superbowl in 2004. It sucked.

amazingtaters
April 10th, 2008, 02:53 AM
IBM ran a Linux ad during the superbowl in 2004. It sucked.

All the more reason to run a Linux ad. However, they are extremely expensive. I mean, a commercial for ubuntu is like buying Sealand for TPB. Just not really feasible at this point.

StooJ
April 10th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Who would the advert be aimed at?

My concern is that most people don't know enough about operating systems to understand what the choice might mean to them.

AMD enjoys a large boost in sales whenever Intel have a marketing campaign, since the adverts encourage people to buy computers, but once they're in the shop, what do they know about the difference between an Athlon or a P4?

Cope57
April 10th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Donations to the multi-millionaire to put a TV ad of Ubuntu? If Mark wanted Ubuntu in the spotlight, I am sure Mark would have done so.

As for your donations, you can send them to me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Killer Cop
April 10th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Look here:

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/6632/

MaximB
April 10th, 2008, 06:28 PM
First of all I assume that the thread starter is from U.S , but we have other countries as well to consider, in other countries such ad may come cheaper. (or we can wait a few months till the U.S dollar is low enough and ask the European guys to support it ;)).
Second, I disagree on making an add exclusively Ubuntu.
Make a GNU/Linux ad, do not concentrate on your beloved distro Ubuntu, there are other good distros, so make a GNU/Linux ad.
If you want to make exclusive Ubuntu thread, why not ask Mark ? he go the money ;)

P.S
If such ad will be made we should show them the compiz fusion and our many desktops , graphic sells ;)

rudihawk
April 10th, 2008, 07:24 PM
I said no, because I wonder who will pay for it? and i probably wont see it because I live in ZA.

greentiger
April 10th, 2008, 08:10 PM
how about nice, cheap, flash ads all over the internet?
and on youtube. those kids love teh youtube.

and the myspace.
viral marketing on myspace seems to rock.
now you'd just have to link to sex.

half dressed girls and guys?
a la calvin klein.

<like the obsession commercial>
stability.
entertainment.
ubuntu
</end copy cat>

Meatshield
April 11th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I'd be all for it.

I'd also say not to make it just Ubuntu. Show them options. Show Compiz (which has impressed the hell out of everyone I've showed it to who doesn't use Linux), show desktops of all kinds of designs(Gnome, KDE, Enlightenment, etc). Show non-technical users using Linux. Give stats on the community internationally, and how many webservers use Linux because of its stability.

The end it all with a "Price of it all? Absolutely free" to drive home the awesomeness of free software.

Ioky
April 12th, 2008, 12:58 AM
You know what guy, We can put a Youtube video AD. That way, not just many people can see it. but also the cost is cut down to 99% You just need some one to make a ad. I mean no need to be fancy. as long the point get there. I mean the mac vs pc ad isn't fancy at all. every one can do something like that if they get a recorder on their hand. Or we can put a Myspace site for Ubuntu. I mean that is ok for people who can go to the internet. but if they can't, how can they get a copy of ubuntu anyway. There are just so many free ad to put up ad. Of course as always, skill are need. if you want to done it well. For instead, if you can make youtube ad show up at the top of the list. when people search about pc or computer. I am pretty such people will take a look of it. You can put up a long ad for free while you need to pay like millions for it to be on TV.