PDA

View Full Version : would this be a problem?

chucky chuckaluck
April 9th, 2008, 02:24 PM
i've been thanked six times and i have no idea for what (at this time, the 'find thanked posts' feature still draws a blank page). for me, someone who is not confident in his knowledge, it's important to know when i've been helpful even when i'm fairly certain i had the right answer. before the thanked feature came along, people would bump their threads with a thanks often giving detail on which part of my answer was most helpful. now, i don't even have confirmation as to whether or not my response was helpful at all. i'd like to put something like "please don't use the thanks feature on me" in my signature, but i don't want to get into trouble for it. i'd like to try to be helpful, but getting less feedback is making me a little gun shy. any other ideas?

LaRoza
April 9th, 2008, 02:28 PM
i've been thanked six times and i have no idea for what (at this time, the 'find thanked posts' feature still draws a blank page). for me, someone who is not confident in his knowledge, it's important to know when i've been helpful even when i'm fairly certain i had the right answer. before the thanked feature came along, people would bump their threads with a thanks often giving detail on which part of my answer was most helpful. now, i don't even have confirmation as to whether or not my response was helpful at all. i'd like to put something like "please don't use the thanks feature on me" in my signature, but i don't want to get into trouble for it. i'd like to try to be helpful, but getting less feedback is making me a little gun shy. any other ideas?

I wish I could find out who thanks me as well, so you are not alone.

Sometimes people thank when they agree, or think you made a good point, so it isn't always for technical assistance.

You could put that in your sig, if you wanted. Asking for thanks is against the rules, but I have asked not to be thanked before.

chucky chuckaluck
April 9th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Sometimes people thank when they agree, or think you made a good point, so it isn't always for technical assistance.

maybe we need a +1 feature, as well.

You could put that in your sig, if you wanted. Asking for thanks is against the rules, but I have asked not to be thanked before.

ok, that's one vote for 'ok'.

here's what i'm thinking - "please don't use the thanks feature on me. i need to know if i was helpful. pm me if i were helpful, throw a rock through my window if i weren't." (looks a little long.)

i guess the whole thing could be solved if the 'find thanked posts' thing worked.

ShodanjoDM
April 9th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I wish I could find out who thanks me as well, so you are not alone.

Well, you have 400+ posts where people thanks you. But yeah, it's still a teeny weeny bit of percentage compared to the whole posts this forum contains...

I do feel somewhat unsure if my post that someone thanked to is really useful or not... I just don't want to mislead people if I've posted unintentional mistakes... :confused:

notwen
April 9th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I also long to see who thanked me, cool to see the thank # go up w/ the thank # of posts. Nice to know that multiple people are solving issues from one thread. It means less ppl are posting dupes of already posted and solved threads. =]

p_quarles
April 9th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I don't -- and can't imagine that any other staffer would -- have a problem with something like that in your signature. Whether or not anyone else will ever notice your request is a different story. ;)

Frankly, I think the easiest way to get the kind of feedback you're looking for would be to find some way of keeping track of those threads in which you've posted potentially helpful things. If you've received a thanks on one of the posts you're unsure about, you could always ask the person thanking you for more details.

Also, I've found that people will tell you when something doesn't work the way you said it would.

popch
April 9th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I, for one, am going to wait until the new forum software is in place and the first major bugs are fixed before I start mentioning the missing thanks reference function again.

I do, however, agree with the OP that having just a count without knowing the posts is not so useful.

chucky chuckaluck
April 9th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I don't -- and can't imagine that any other staffer would -- have a problem with something like that in your signature. Whether or not anyone else will ever notice your request is a different story. ;)

yup. the more i think about it the more i think putting something in my sig is just goofy. i don't really care about thanks counts, i just want to know if i'm on the right track with my information. i suppose i could go back through all the threads in which i've offered an answer, but that's getting a little hard to do.

NightwishFan
April 9th, 2008, 07:56 PM
You could have possibly been thanked for posting a cool desktop as well. Do not worry about it. Just be happy that somewhere somehow you helped someone out, or gave them a good laugh. :)

notwen
April 9th, 2008, 07:57 PM
could i route all of my thanks to you chuck and you in turn relay which thanks for which posts back to me?

i think a 'thank chuck' on everyone's sig would be pretty cool, maybe we could start a trend. *nod*

lespaul_rentals
April 9th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Go to your profile page, click "Find all posts by this user," then look through your posts to see who thanked you for what.

chucky chuckaluck
April 9th, 2008, 08:30 PM
maybe we should have a special chuck day. how about a statue? can any of you all do that? i'd be nailing the thank button on something like that.

side note: i'm not sure i'm up to the task of searching through all my desktop posts, NF. i might just have to take your advice and just be happy.

notwen
April 9th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I dont get thanked all too often and finding the few amongst lots of posts is no fun. The search for thanked posts would alleviate this, we shall see if the upcoming upgrade might help/hinder out cause. If not I'm going the 'thank chuck' route. *nod*

scorp123
April 9th, 2008, 08:39 PM
i've been thanked six times and i have no idea for what Google knows the answer:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22The+Following+User+Says+Thank+You+to+c hucky+chuckaluck+For+This+Useful+Post%22&num=100&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&filter=0

chucky chuckaluck
April 9th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Google knows the answer:

http://www.google.ch/search?q=%22The+Following+User+Says+Thank+You+to+c hucky+chuckaluck+For+This+Useful+Post%22&num=100&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&filter=0

now that's ingenuity! i'm even going to break my own rule about using the thank button on this one.

notwen
April 10th, 2008, 02:26 AM
wow, how clever. thanks for this. =]

matthew
April 10th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Google for the win, again. Thanks.

pmasiar
April 10th, 2008, 01:49 PM
No Google does not won.

Google found only 3 of my thanks, so I have no idea how I got so many :-)

scorp123
April 10th, 2008, 02:16 PM
No Google does not won. I disagree. You have to feed it with useful parameters, of course ;)

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Thank+You+to+pmasiar+For+This+Useful+P ost%22+site:ubuntuforums.org&num=100&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&filter=0

I get plenty of hits in your case which pretty much proves my point about using Google. :lolflag:

pmasiar
April 10th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I get plenty of hits in your case which pretty much proves my point about using Google. :lolflag:

That one got 57 out of 296. Better, but still far from all. Thanks anyway.

scorp123
April 10th, 2008, 11:07 PM
That one got 57 out of 296. Better, but still far from all. Thanks anyway. You were thanked multiple times in some postings if you look closely. And as I said above: If you feed Google with the right search patterns it will probably find everything.

How about this one? Over 1100 hits for your name:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&newwindow=1&as_q=The+Following+User+Says+Thank+You+to+pmasiar&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=100&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=ubuntuforums.org&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=off

pmasiar
April 11th, 2008, 12:48 AM
"Thank You To pmasiar For This Useful Post" using site:ubuntuforums.org sometimes returns 15 results, and sometimes 1750. Strange.