PDA

View Full Version : uploading set of files via a shell script

oldmanstan
October 12th, 2005, 05:24 PM
How would I go about uploading a group of files to an ftp server using a shell script, I am just learning more about the bash shell and realized it would be far more convenient to run a script each time I change pages around and want them uploaded to the server than having to click over to gFTP and select them with the mouse.

oldmanstan

Leif
October 12th, 2005, 05:51 PM
look up rsync. I'd give you details, but it's been quite a while since I set my system up and I can't really remember

oldmanstan
October 13th, 2005, 07:44 AM
look up rsync. I'd give you details, but it's been quite a while since I set my system up and I can't really remember

Hmmm, gave that a look. Seems like it would work quite well if I took the time to set it up, however, it would be sort of overkill for what I'm doing right now I think. I was thinking more along the lines of scripting an ftp transfer, maybe using wildcards to upload the appropriate files, something like that. I spose the smart thing to do would be to read up on it and do it myself, but maybe if someone has done it already I won't have to?? haha, yeah, lazy, thanks though, I will keep rsync in mind for the future...

idonthack
October 13th, 2005, 05:18 PM
ftp ftp.url.com < ftp_commands

IIRC, that will read ftp_commands line by line and use it as input for your ftp session. I'll check once I get home on my comp, I used it once and I think I still have the script lying around.