PDA

View Full Version : Swiss schools 9000 PC's Ubuntu

mybunche
April 5th, 2008, 05:00 AM
I just saw this on Digg, good news.

Beginning from next term, all computers at schools in the Swiss canton of Geneva will be switched to Ubuntu Linux only.

Geneva newspaper Tribune de Geneve reports today that from September 2008 all computers at schools that currently are dual-boot MS Windows and Linux will have MS Windows removed and become FOSS (Free Open Source Software) only.

Besides lower costs for the administration, students will also profit from the use of Ubuntu, as they then will be able to use the same applications at home without additional cost.

Manuel Grandjean, director for the schools (Ecoles-Médias) IT services pointed out that the use of FOSS “…encourages participation and the democratization of knowledge and provides product independent competences…“. He also sees the use of FOSS as a “reinforcement of equal opportunities” for students.

See:
http://www.duvet-dayz.com/archives/2008/04/04/654/

madjr
April 6th, 2008, 08:01 PM
great news

i think this will make it in the weekly newsletter :guitar:

Seti
April 6th, 2008, 08:04 PM
More people are opening up their eyes all the time. Learning computer-science on linux is so much better than on WIndows.

ubuntu-freak
April 10th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Great news. I just read about it and thought I'd check if it had already been posted.

Nathan

retrow
April 10th, 2008, 05:29 PM
The only job of the sys admin would be to disable compiz fusion on all these computers. If the kids get sucked into the eye candy aspect of Linux it would be detrimental to 'actual' learning.

Great move. I'll be calling my friend in Zurich to see when their canton would catch up with Geneva.

jernst
October 18th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Beginning from next term, all computers at schools in the Swiss canton of Geneva will be switched to Ubuntu Linux only.

Unfortunately that's not quite true, they still have a (default) Windows XP partition and the Ubuntu installation is quite crippled. If you speak French you can read more about my first impressions here :

http://ernstfamily.ch/jonathan/2008/10/ubuntu-au-dip%c2%a0-premieres-impressions-mitigees/

ooobuntooo
October 18th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Switzerland is not a good place for free software in my experience.

jernst
October 18th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Switzerland is not a good place for free software in my experience.

Why not? It's not perfect of course but at least tax softwares, bank websites do work on Linux which is not the case in many countries. The official taxes software CD comes with OpenOffice and Firefox on it which isn't bad either.