PDA

View Full Version : Default color in OMG Pink Ponies forum?

pmasiar
April 5th, 2008, 03:23 AM
I can handle new name for backyard, but color is little to bright on white background for my eyes. I would prefer darker pink, if it has to be pink :-)

LaRoza
April 5th, 2008, 03:26 AM
I can handle new name for backyard, but color is little to bright on white background for my eyes. I would prefer darker pink, if it has to be pink :-)

It is now a forum wide colour, sorry.

This is how I make my posts black in the backyard, it is worth the time it takes to type.

Perhaps an admin will darken it up for us, once they see it is a wee bit bright.

cacycleworks
April 5th, 2008, 10:31 AM
ALT V Y N in firefox would take care of the pink.

personally, it just makes me chuckle. that's reason enough to make it stay. :D

-grubby
April 5th, 2008, 06:48 PM
You can also press ctrl-a to highlight all the text on a page

Forlong
April 7th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Still making it a bit darker would make the posts better to read *and* keep it in style ^^

See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=742576&page=6

LaRoza
April 7th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Still making it a bit darker would make the posts better to read *and* keep it in style ^^

See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=742576&page=6

That is #D900B3, admins.

handy
April 9th, 2008, 02:15 PM
The color of the Backyard, by any other name, is repulsive in my opinion.

I wonder if it was chosen to have the effect of minimizing its use?

I don't care what you call the area, but please, make the text black again?

I just thought to make a poll on the colour, let's see what the people think?

matthew
April 9th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I think the poll is fine, as long as it is just for the purposes of gauging opinions. We won't commit to be bound by it, but we will take it into consideration.

Just for the record, we have noticed a nicer tone and atmosphere in that forum since we changed the name (originally as an April Fool's Day joke) and the default text color. That wasn't the intent, but it is having an affect on our thinking about keeping it.

pmasiar
April 10th, 2008, 01:36 AM
I noticed that some people set post color to black - which is additional tag to handle in the quote when replying to part of the post. So it punishes people ho do right thing (when you quote, trim).
Bright pink is hard to read - not enough contrast. Make in darker, it does not have to be black, and save us from useless poll. Quite obviously bright pink is not the best.

handy
April 10th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Mathew, would it be possible to have an option in the forum software, where a user could choose to have a non-default black text display as their personal default setting?

That would certainly make it easier on those of us whose eyes have difficulty with the current colour.

popch
April 10th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Just for the record:

I find that color rather painful to read. Selecting the text does not improve the readability because (a) some displays perform very poorly with bright text on dark background and (b) the oblique fonts do not invert properly, anyway.

How many threads are there where I supported to go back to black? There seem to be new threads on that topic on a daily schedule.

matthew
April 10th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I understand, guys. It is not our goal to make reading difficult on the eyes. This is on my radar.

We are doing a full forum software and database upgrade over the next week or so. Let's see how that goes and what site template (style, look, etc) updates and adjustments that requires.

In the meanwhile, we are still noticing a steep decline in the amount of grumpiness in that forum, and that will be a factor in our final decision on this. For a long time the Backyard took an inappropriate percentage of staff time, and suddenly OMG pInK pOnIeS isn't. That's nice.

KiwiNZ
April 10th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I came close to changing it , it makes my LCD look like someone has had reverse peristalsis with carots:)

popch
April 10th, 2008, 09:33 AM
... software and database upgrade over the next week or so. Let's see how that goes and what site template (style, look, etc) updates and adjustments that requires.

In the meanwhile, we are still noticing a steep decline in the amount of grumpiness in that forum, and that will be a factor in our final decision on this. For a long time the Backyard took an inappropriate percentage of staff time, and suddenly OMG pInK pOnIeS isn't. That's nice.

Yes, I can see that point as well. If true and sustainable. Perhaps the people contributing to unwanted social side effects are all elderly chaps with deteriorated eyesight?

reverse peristalsis with carots

That took me quite by surprise. ROFL, indeed.

matthew
April 10th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Yes, I can see that point as well. If true and sustainable. Perhaps the people contributing to unwanted social side effects are all elderly chaps with deteriorated eyesight?
:)

Let's see what happens during the software upgrade, and we will try to do something to keep the positive benefits while allowing valued community members to participate without eye strain/pain. Thanks for being so understanding.

handy
April 10th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I came close to changing it , it makes my LCD look like someone has had reverse peristalsis with carots:)

:lolflag:

That is classic KiwiNZ!

handy
April 10th, 2008, 09:55 AM
:)

Let's see what happens during the software upgrade, and we will try to do something to keep the positive benefits while allowing valued community members to participate without eye strain/pain. Thanks for being so understanding.

Thanks Mathew.

Some of us have an inkling of an understanding of the extra demands that the BY puts on the staff.

Hopefully a suitable compromise will hatch? :-)

popch
April 10th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Some of us have an inkling of understanding of the extra demands that the BY puts on the staff.

it's the Opp now, not the BY

Seconded.

With thanks to all concerned (both contributors and keepers of the den).

handy
April 10th, 2008, 12:09 PM
it's the Opp now, not the BY

Seconded.

With thanks to all concerned (both contributors and keepers of the den).

Bloody hell popch, I'm still trying to convert to metric, which became law in 1970 here in Oz.

It takes me a while to adapt to changes...

popch
April 10th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Bloody hell popch, I'm still trying to convert to metric, which became law in 1970 here in Oz.

It takes me a while to adapt to changes...

Keep trying. One of these days, you'll succeed. And then you will wonder whether you actually converted or the rest of the country went back.

My pet peeve is with daylight saving time. My circadians run all over the place, and I never know when to be hungry. It is a great temptation to eat all the time...

handy
April 10th, 2008, 02:41 PM
My pet peeve is with daylight saving time. My circadians run all over the place, and I never know when to be hungry. It is a great temptation to eat all the time...

Yes, eating is good! It is not healthy to allow ourselves to get hungry, it plays havoc with our hormones, insulin in particular.

LaRoza
April 10th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Yes, eating is good! It is not healthy to allow ourselves to get hungry, it plays havoc with our hormones.

Yes, it is healthy to feel hungry before eating, as it is good for the hormonal balance.

http://www.warriordiet.com/

I follow the principles in that book mostly, and I find it to be superior to any other dietary guideline.

handy
April 10th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Yes, it is healthy to feel hungry before eating, as it is good for the hormonal balance.

http://www.warriordiet.com/

I follow the principles in that book mostly, and I find it to be superior to any other dietary guideline.

Well, for the last 3 to 4 years I have been following a different regimen than you, one which is all about maintaining the least amount of fluctuation in hormone levels. It works very well for my body type & metabolism, though it may or may not work for yours. That is how it goes, as we are not all of the same body type. I have a few more miles on the clock in this body than you do in yours, which does also count for something with regards to familiarity, as you will notice in another 30 years or so...

[Edit:] The warrior diet may suit a blood type O person more than any of the other blood types. If you are a type O LaRoza, you are stressing you body by not eating meat!
Which is really some concept. I have 2 friends that are vegetarians & blood type O. Which is very interesting when you look into the history of the blood types.

LaRoza
April 10th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Well, for the last 3 to 4 years I have been following a different regimen than you, one which is all about maintaining the least amount of fluctuation in hormone levels. It works very well for my body type & metabolism, though it may or may not work for yours. That is how it goes, as we are not all of the same body type. I have a few more miles on the clock in this body than you do in yours, which does also count for something with regards to familiarity, as you will notice in another 30 years or so...

[Edit:] The warrior diet may suit a blood type O person more than any of the other blood types. If you are a type O LaRoza, you are stressing you body by not eating meat!
Which is really some concept. I have 2 friends that are vegetarians & blood type O. Which is very interesting when you look into the history of the blood types.

Yes, specifics of a diet depends on the person. (The person who wrote that book is much older than I, ~60 I think)

I am Type A+ (oh no, personal details on the internet!). The warrior diet is easy adaptable, and it is surprisingly easy with a vegan diet.

pmasiar
April 10th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Interesting info I found somewhere is that low-calorie diet makes for better test results in students, not only for longer life. But I can go on warrior diet only if I am hacking something for long time intervals - and i don't do that as often as I should, sadly :-)

JLB
April 13th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Please revert back to black as the default text color in the backyard. Bolding the text, as one admin suggested, is not much help as it is the color contrast combination that makes it hard to read for us in the "older crowd". A Lorem Ipsum pink bold text example is in the backyard thread.

handy
April 15th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Mathew, another reason why the BY sub-forum may have become more respectful of late, is due to the attention that the religious topic has recently received. The regulars had to have a look at themselves & how they were interacting with others on highly contentious topics, & understand that a little more self control would allow more freedom to express their views & opinions, providing they stayed inside the recently updated BY - COD.

I think that the attention given most specifically to the religious topics & the review of the BY - COD has been the major cause of an overall improvement in the generation of mutual respect & of the quality of conversation in the BY a.k.a the pink forum.

I think more people have found that it usually takes only a little reflection on the content of ones potential post to verify that it has been written in a respectful way before hitting the Submit Reply button.

LaRoza
July 28th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Someone reported the recent thread in the Res Centre about the OPP forum text colour (because they wanted to give input on the matter)

You can discuss it here :-)

popch
July 28th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Someone reported the recent thread in the Res Centre about the OPP forum text colour (because they wanted to give input on the matter)

I already did so there (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5472873#post5472873).

Canis familiaris
July 28th, 2008, 08:25 AM

It was me. :)

I would personally prefer black text. The pink text is not easy on the eye (I know it is darker pink and not lighter pink but it is still not easy on the eye). Also Pink is a colour which generates a wide variation of opinions. People either love it or hate it.

And Yes I can enclose my text by ... but other posts are pink still. And we read other posts rather than ours.

LaRoza
July 28th, 2008, 08:26 AM
It was me. :)

I know ;)

mips
July 28th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Seriously guys, the pink is not cool. It really does put strain on ones eyes and that in itself is not good and probably a health issue. My eyesight is good and I can feel the strain so I feel very sorry for those with visual problems.

Why are you being so deliberate in hurting our eyes? This is nothing but MALICE on the part of forum staff.

Could you please change it back to black, please!

LaRoza
July 28th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Seriously guys, the pink is not cool. It really does put strain on ones eyes and that in itself is not good and probably a health issue. My eyesight is good and I can feel the strain so I feel very sorry for those with visual problems.
Good news! It cannot hurt your eyes.

Why are you being so deliberate in hurting our eyes? This is nothing but MALICE on the part of forum staff.
Evil staff...

Could you please change it back to black, please!

No. I can't.

chucky chuckaluck
July 28th, 2008, 12:08 PM

did you know that chimps and gorillas have the same blood types as we do (except AB, i think)? most gorillas are apparently O and most chimps are apparently A (i'm sure the chimps switched from O to A shortly after they started planting corn).

mips
July 28th, 2008, 12:14 PM
LaRoza,

Are you joking or being serious?

Joeb454
July 28th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Well the mod's can't change the font color, only the admins can

LaRoza
July 28th, 2008, 01:28 PM
LaRoza,

Are you joking or being serious?

About what? A quote would be helpful.

mips
July 28th, 2008, 02:42 PM
About what? A quote would be helpful.

Your response to my post. http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5473593&postcount=33

LaRoza
July 28th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Your response to my post. http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5473593&postcount=33

Quoting still hurts...

Good news! It cannot hurt your eyes.

That is serious. Although poor reading conditions can cause "pain", that has no effect on the eyes and eyesight.

Evil staff...
Not serious (probably). Just pointing out the dramatic "MALICE" we all seem to have...

No. I can't.

Serious. I already pointed out that I can't do anything about it.

mips
July 28th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Quoting still hurts...

That is serious. Although poor reading conditions can cause "pain", that has no effect on the eyes and eyesight. (Edit: even though it does no physical damage)

Not serious (probably). Just pointing out the dramatic "MALICE" we all seem to have...

Serious. I already pointed out that I can't do anything about it.

So we must accept that the pain/discomfort is ok.

Well if the causing of pain/discomfort was intentional with the font colour then it could be attributed to malice. We all know the complaints are not new yet they have been ignored.

It's ok if you cannot do anything about it but I'm sure others can, that is if they want to.

LaRoza
July 28th, 2008, 03:19 PM
So we must accept that the pain/discomfort is ok.
No one is forced to read it, and for those that do read it, they are not forced to accept the default style.

Well if the causing of pain/discomfort was intentional with the font colour then it could be attributed to malice. We all know the complaints are not new yet they have been ignored.
I think those complaining have demonstrated what is called hyperbole. "Evil malicious staff trying to blind old people. Please stop! Think of the children" and can be hard to take seriously. If it truly were a problem, most time would be spend solving it (like not reading the forum, or using a custom CSS rule like I demonstrated earlier) instead of complaining about it. At least, a temporary fix would be created before complaining.

chucky chuckaluck
July 28th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I think those complaining have demonstrated what is called hyperbole. "Evil malicious staff trying to blind old people. Please stop! Think of the children" and can be hard to take seriously. If it truly were a problem, most time would be spend solving it (like not reading the forum, or using a custom CSS rule like I demonstrated earlier) instead of complaining about it. At least, a temporary fix would be created before complaining.

i don't understand why you don't care about the children. they are our future. who else is going to read your memoirs when you're gone to the great reward?

if this were a forum that tolerated a wide variety of behaviors, one would feel obligated to overlook the pink (or, is it fuchsia?) font. but this forum doesn't tolerate a wide variety of behaviors. this forum is trying to make it a safe place (safe from offense) for everyone who comes here. it's an ambitious goal. in that light, it is appropriate to complain about the pink font. it's hard to read and it's annoying. it's also a joke that has long outlived its value. this, as we are so often reminded, is a support forum. the pink font shows a lack of the professionalism to which this forum aspires.

mips
July 28th, 2008, 03:35 PM
No one is forced to read it, and for those that do read it, they are not forced to accept the default style.

No one is forcing anyone to read anything. But I thought this was a community forum where you would welcome people and want them to participate even though it is not support related.

Have you ever considered that peoples complaints might be legitimite and genuine without just fobbing them off?
How is not reading it or using custom CSS rules solving the initial problem. You are treating the simptons and not the cause.

I'm sorry but your logic escapes me on this.

mips
July 28th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I'm beginning to think people are wasting their time here in the feedback section. If you have no intention of changing the font colour then just say so. This way we know where we all stand and move on.

LaRoza
July 28th, 2008, 03:41 PM
No one is forcing anyone to read anything. But I thought this was a community forum where you would welcome people and want them to participate even though it is not support related.

This forum thrives and depends on community feedback and input, however, accusing staff (of which I am a member) of being malicious is beyond what I (at least) will take sitting down.

Have you ever considered that peoples complaints might be legitimite and genuine without just fobbing them off?
Yes, all the other threads on this. However, when my efforts to make a solution for people and give advise on working with the current staff of the forum was rejected without any consideration (finding the class name for that colour wasn't something that I could do in an instant) and then called malicious and other names, I think I am entitled to a little "fobb" whatever that is.

How is not reading it or using custom CSS rules solving the initial problem. You are treating the simptons and not the cause.
Yes, that is the limit of my abilities, sorry my best effort wasn't enough to stay the accusations of malice.

I'm sorry but your logic escapes me on this.
Personal attacks aren't something I like in response to my efforts to help.

chucky chuckaluck
July 28th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I'm beginning to think people are wasting their time here in the feedback section. If you have no intention of changing the font colour then just say so. This way we know where we all stand and move on.

one can still hope - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=872382

LaRoza
July 28th, 2008, 03:42 PM

Yes, I tried to help and allow people to easily view the OPP in the default Ubuntu browser, but that wasn't enough. I did waste my time trying to be helpful.

To recapp:

I pointed out to the admins that the previous shade of pink was really hard on the eyes and they changed it to be less glaring.
I spent the time finding this thread so people could give input on the current Res Centre thread
I searched through the forum source to find exactly how to change the CSS rule, then gave instructions on how to do it (very easy)

I guess I am malicious and "fobbing".

lukjad
July 28th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I like the pink theme. I know that others don't. So how about only for Pink Ponies, we have a few default font colours, a few different fonts, and a few actual backgrounds. The idea being that you could choose the shade of pink beforehand, could also have a background with a theme of nature, ponies, funny things or pink things. That way everyone could have at least a bit what they want. Ad that way too, the Pink Ponies forum will also feel special and different.

mips
July 28th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Yes, I tried to help and allow people to easily view the OPP in the default Ubuntu browser, but that wasn't enough. I did waste my time trying to be helpful.

To recapp:

I pointed out to the admins that the previous shade of pink was really hard on the eyes and they changed it to be less glaring.
I spent the time finding this thread so people could give input on the current Res Centre thread
I searched through the forum source to find exactly how to change the CSS rule, then gave instructions on how to do it (very easy)

I guess I am malicious and "fobbing".

1. Yes you did point it out but nothing has really been done about it except make it slightly darker. It was mentioned that it would be considered with the forum software upgrade in April and we are almost in August already.

2. Thank you but people still seem to think the pink is an issue and saying it but then the response seems to indicate that that it is really a non issue and we are just wining for the sake of it.

3. Thank you but nobody takes the time to post with the colour black tags or change their browsers (of which their are many variants and not always easy to do). Why jump through hoops when it is so easy to change on the forum side.

My malice statement stems from the fact that the colour was intentionally changed, people complained about it as it causes eye strain/discomfort, these complaints have largely been ignored except if people use workarounds when something so easy to change is not being done on the forum side.

As for fobbing off what else would you like to call it. I dunno what else to call it when many requests have been made and nothing really done about it.

I mean this is not like it is a limitation of the forum software or anything like that.

Yes, initially it was funny but I no longer think that is the case.

mips
July 28th, 2008, 04:33 PM
one can still hope - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=872382

Yes we can hope. Beyond that there is only the Ubuntu CC but hopefully it does not go that far.

Joeb454
July 28th, 2008, 05:23 PM
The only people who're able to change the font color in any forum are the Forum Council (a.k.a the Administrators)

Moderators (who have a bean image like mine & LaRoza's) are unable to do this. The topic has been brought to the attention of the admins, and is currently under discussion

lukjad
July 28th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I smell smoke. Please direct all flames to my Flame War thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=870048), it could use the heat.

mips
July 29th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Now the colour is an even worse baby puke orange.

This is really childish guys! Grow up. I'm beginning to think you are all sitting there s******ing away like a bunch of naughty school boys that just pulled of a prank.

I ask again, please change it back to black, please!

popch
July 29th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I ask again, please change it back to black, please!

Seconded (at least):

MIB: Make It Black, please

hyper_ch
July 29th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I want my pink ponies back :(

Joeb454
July 29th, 2008, 04:18 PM
They evolved (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_evolution#Pok.C3.A9mon_evolution) into oRaNgE pOnIeS because they reached level 16 :)

hyper_ch
July 29th, 2008, 04:24 PM
can you devolve them again to pink ones?

Joeb454
July 29th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I don't think you can. Google returned this

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68928

Bachstelze
July 29th, 2008, 04:29 PM
can you devolve them again to pink ones?

This cannot be done, sadly. You'll have to wait for one to appear and capture it.

It's not that hard, though. Look, even I did it. And if I dared, I would say that my pink ponies are much better than the old ones.

BF6785 is the key to pink awesomeness!

chucky chuckaluck
July 29th, 2008, 07:04 PM
how about pink on darkbrown? you can keep the pink and it becomes much easier to read (though i'm not convinced everyone wants it to be readable).

http://c.imagehost.org/0872/pinkonbrown.jpg

paul101
July 29th, 2008, 07:08 PM
^^ no, dont make the site look like were trying to hack the government computers or something