PDA

View Full Version : Starsiege Tribes Compatibility Sound Issues.

ContraWars
April 3rd, 2008, 01:26 AM
Hey folks.
I know there are a few threads addressing this game under Wine, already kicking around the internet, and even on this board.

I'm still a noob, (Gank me...I dare you. :lol:) when it comes to linux use. I was bred on DOS and Windows, So I'm half blind and fully ignorant when thrust into using a CLI terminal. Beside the point, but it explains much of why I leech info from the internet now more than before.
I'm not seeing anything specific on some issues I've been running into though and wonder if anyone else is experiencing them.

Firstly, I run tribes 1.11 in fullscreen with compiz turned off under gnome with Wine 0.9.58. It doesn't work well at all with effects running needlessly behind it.
Secondly ever since updating the exe to 1.11, "In a window" the mouse would lock to the center and be really jumpy, hard to move around. So full screen still works fine for me.

I've noticed that the application itself is fond of crashing in its entirety in the middle of a match, this used to happen years ago while playing it on Win98 too, so it's not something new.

My main new issue, is that almost every time I play it,about 10 min or so in, the sound will die in-game.SFX and voice commands. Yet the menu's still have their sfx when you click around. I've not found a way to fix this issue by switching menu options, or finding out what dll might need replacing.

Its Audio tab is still defaulted to the ALSA Driver, and not the OSS one.

In other words: I never really played with the sound portion of configuring it yet, I have no info on what works, and what doesn't.
I doubt my hardware would have any real issues in the sound department, I'm using the default setup, on-board Nvidia HD Audio that comes with an Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard. :lolflag:

Also, the OS itself is Ubuntu 7.10 64bit running on am AMD athlon 64 X2 5600+.

Anyone have any ideas? This game was and still is awesome. It should be GPL'ed , and fully embraced by the entire Linux community.

ContraWars
April 3rd, 2008, 01:32 AM
huzzah!

2 seconds after posting, I read the sticky regarding wine.

I swear, a "-5 int." just appeared above my head.