PDA

View Full Version : Installing programs in Virtualbox

G!zZm0
April 1st, 2008, 09:43 PM
How can i install a program on Virtualbox?

aysiu
April 1st, 2008, 09:48 PM
How can i install a program on Virtualbox?
As far as I know, you can't. VirtualBox is for installing operating systems (Windows, Ubuntu, Fedora, etc.), not programs. Once you install the operating system, you can install programs inside of the operating system.

pseudo-random
April 1st, 2008, 09:51 PM
Easy. Pop your program CD in. Then mount it from virtualbox as the host drive.
Install as normal.
Things like games which need direct access to the graphics card won't work bu if you want to install Office or something like I do, no probs.

Duck2006
April 1st, 2008, 09:52 PM
What program are you trying to install?

G!zZm0
April 1st, 2008, 09:54 PM
Photoshop

aysiu
April 1st, 2008, 09:58 PM
Easy. Pop your program CD in. Then mount it from virtualbox as the host drive.
Install as normal.
Things like games which need direct access to the graphics card won't work bu if you want to install Office or something like I do, no probs.
Wow! Are you serious? So you don't need an operating system installed virtually? You can just install the program straight to a virtual drive? How does that work?

Duck2006
April 1st, 2008, 10:04 PM
Does it not need some platform to run on?
Virtual box is just the program to host the host for the programs to run in is it not?

Oldsoldier2003
April 1st, 2008, 10:11 PM
Does it not need some platform to run on?
Virtual box is just the program to host the host for the programs to run in is it not?

Yes you need the host OS installed. To install a program in a guest XP install fro example you just mount the cd drive and install it exactl as you would if you were running a native XP session.

Oldsoldier2003
April 1st, 2008, 10:12 PM
Wow! Are you serious? So you don't need an operating system installed virtually? You can just install the program straight to a virtual drive? How does that work?

April Fools! ... of course you do :)

Duck2006
April 1st, 2008, 10:15 PM
Yes you need the host OS installed. To install a program in a guest XP install fro example you just mount the cd drive and install it exactl as you would if you were running a native XP session.

hehehehehehehe.