PDA

View Full Version : So who plays WoW on Linux?

kc5hwb
April 1st, 2008, 08:03 PM
I am trying to get my Ubuntu Laptop setup to run WoW. Is this a popular thing to do? Are alot of your who are talking about playing WoW, all playing it while running it through WINe on Ubuntu?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=742227

Vadi
April 1st, 2008, 08:33 PM
I don't play it. I got other Linux native games keeping me busy :)

thisismalhotra
April 1st, 2008, 08:42 PM
I don't play it. I got other Linux native games keeping me busy :)

I am big time wow player and I play it all the time in ubuntu using wine cause I get better server latency and frame rates (don't know the reason till date) while in linux.

If you need to setit up please let me know I can help out !!

Ferrat
April 1st, 2008, 10:45 PM
I would guess 90-95% are running it on Ubuntu under WINE since it works more or less flawless :) (edit: of the people talking about them playing on these forums :P)

if you have 3d grafics working then it should work out of the box, problem with laptops tho is that their 3d grafic drivers are often lacking

fktt
April 1st, 2008, 10:56 PM
i played for a while, not anymore though.
might reconsider if they ever provide native support.

liquidfunk
April 1st, 2008, 11:36 PM
Slim chances of native support.

I PLAY!!! *dances around*

Play on Wine too. I do have a very tiny Vista partition which I installed it on, but I get horrific frame rates on Vista, and amazing ones in Ubuntu.

Madness.

If your just starting

Liquidfunk - Horde - Hellfire Realm

Thats me :P

Crafty Kisses
April 1st, 2008, 11:42 PM
I don't play WoW, but one of my cousins play it under Ubuntu, and from what I've seen it runs pretty flawlessly.

kc5hwb
April 1st, 2008, 11:55 PM
Like I said in another thread, I have it installed on this laptop and it loads, but then the screen goes black and I can't see anything. I do hear the sound and all the music and I can tell it is at the login screen, but I can't see it. However, this just happened when I loaded the Burning Crusade, before I loaded that it worked fine (although I never played it from this laptop, I only loaded it and opened it to see if it would run, which it did)

derekr44
April 1st, 2008, 11:56 PM
+1 running in Crossover Games. Flawless with great performance. I was getting 130fps in Undercity the other day.

liquidfunk
April 2nd, 2008, 12:03 AM
What are your specs for running with Crossover Games?

Clodd
April 2nd, 2008, 03:31 AM
I'm in the process of attempting to run WoW in Ubuntu as we speak :)
I think one of my BC disks was scratched, so sat here twiddling my thumbs waiting for the blizzard downloader to do its job at the moment.