PDA

View Full Version : Multidisc install problems

coolkid5
March 31st, 2008, 09:08 PM
I'm having a problem installing Escape From Monkey Island, it is my first wine install so perhaps I am doing something incorrectly.

I pop in the disc 1 (there are 2) and navigate to it in the terminal, and then do "wine Monkey.exe". This starts the installer and I do all the normal accepting license agreements and such, and select standard install. It begins fine and it gets to 53% and the installer says, "Please insert disc 2 and hit 'ok' to continue or 'cancel' to exit installation". I open a new terminal and use "wine eject" and then close the terminal and insert my new disc. When Ubuntu recognizes the new disc (iit shows up on the desktop and I can see the files on it) I hit ok on the install window... the problem is that when I hit ok the box goes away and then comes back. Nothing happens, I don't know what would cause this because Ubuntu has recognized the disc.

I have the latest version of wine ( 0.9.58 ) and AppDB says that Monkey Island works. Any help would be very appreciated!

happyhamster
March 31st, 2008, 10:11 PM
- Try running the installer from somewhere else then the cd itself. In other words, assuming your cd is mounted at /media/cdrom0, run:

wine /media/cdrom0/Monkey.exe

- from your home dir, instead of

wine Monkey.exe

- from the cd's mount point. Also make sure there are no other things looking at the disc (other terminals or filebrowsers etc.).

coolkid5
April 1st, 2008, 12:26 AM
Thank you! That was my problem, I just needed to use "wine /media/cdrom0/Monkey.exe". I knew it had to be something simple like that :)

happyhamster
April 1st, 2008, 12:42 AM
You're welcome :)

BTW, running installers that way is the exception to the rule: normally you *do* have to run wine from within a game's folder (because windows programs expect to be run that way).

A lot more info on running wine can be found in cogadh's thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=497332