PDA

View Full Version : Regarding posting your own support question in someone else's support thread

aysiu
March 31st, 2008, 07:07 PM
I guess I'm still not understanding your situation exactly.

Initially, you said you didn't want someone browsing in case your computer was on, but now you're saying you are sitting at your computer during this time. I'm a little confused about this. Can you explain a bit more about what's going on?

Are you training people to use your computer? So they're using your computer, but you're sitting next to them guiding them, and then you're worried that they may not listen to your directions and then randomly click on a folder you don't want them clicking on?

Edit: Never mind. You're not the OP! Don't hijack other people's threads. I'm going to move your posts to a new thread.

I've also moved our discussion about the move to its own thread.

MountainX
March 31st, 2008, 07:22 PM
Don't hijack other people's threads. I'm going to move your posts to a new thread.

Hmmm I assumed it was better to continue a related discussion. Heck, when you type a title, the forum shows you related threads and encourages you to check those out.

In this case my need was exactly the same as the OP's and his question had not been answered. So I thought it would be better for the community to keep it all together.

My question is much more closely related to the OP's -- and it has not much to do with TrueCrypt except that TrueCrypt is not the solution I'm seeking. I want a very simple password protection for folders, just like the OP.

aysiu
March 31st, 2008, 08:39 PM
Hmmm I assumed it was better to continue a related discussion. Heck, when you type a title, the forum shows you related threads and encourages you to check those out.

In this case my need was exactly the same as the OP's and his question had not been answered. So I thought it would be better for the community to keep it all together.

My question is much more closely related to the OP's -- and it has not much to do with TrueCrypt except that TrueCrypt is not the solution I'm seeking. I want a very simple password protection for folders, just like the OP.
The forum shows you related threads to encourage you to check those out in case they have the solution to your problem. The idea is that you might be able to solve your problem without having to create a new thread. The idea is not that you just tack your problem on to someone else's problem.

Keeping each person's problem to its own thread allows the possibility that similar problems may have different nuances (you don't have the exact same situation as the OP, which is why I got confused in my last post), and it also makes for less confusion in the responses. For example, if someone replying asks for terminal output, both OPs then have to answer, and one may be confused about how to even put in the terminal command while the other may want to then move on to the next step. Also, the first OP may mark the thread [SOLVED], because her support question has been answered, but the second OP still doesn't have it solved.

In other words, you may think you have the exact situation as someone else, but you don't, so you should get your own thread. I'm not scolding you, as I think you made a mistake out of ignorance and not malice. I'm just telling you how the forum works.

MountainX
March 31st, 2008, 09:01 PM
Thank you. That's helpful. I'll change my habit. I have only been a member for about 3 months. I'm glad to learn the preferred way now.

aysiu
March 31st, 2008, 09:21 PM
Cool. I understand you did it with only good intentions. But you do deserve your own thread!