PDA

View Full Version : Thank Subtraction

Forrest Gumpp
March 30th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Weyull, iyuf thayut doan beat awull?

Ah hayuv jist hayad mah Thanks taken off of me! Dang!

Theah was thiyuss Orange Crate guy, an he thayanked me fowah mah post. Ah doan know whah! Ah wuss jist tellin' it lahkh ah thowt it was. But theyun, quicker then you could say Jeck Robinson, theyah wuz thiyus guy from Alaska sayin the sayim 'thank you' thiyung! To meah! For-rest Gumpp! Ah mean, foh sumwun from Alaska toh sen his'n thayanks soh fahr, ah musta sumhow ha dun summat riyat!. Wot did ah doo? Ah only sayed two woryuds! Them woryuds was "Star Chayember'

Ah din know they took palagiarizin sum uther topic so dang serious aroun' here! Ah know there is this here topic iiyun the Cafe about the most importunt picture ever taykun on the Hubba Bubba BubbleGum Spayus Telerscope. But ah din meayun to upstage iyut bah mah torkin 'bout dang Star Chayember! Ah meayun, wot is a few fundamental leagal principles compared to suyuch deep space stuyuff!

Awull thiyungs in moderation ah say. Ah feyull quart spaced owert!

Iyut jist ain't fayer! An they-all bin sayin thayat the dang Thayanks Feature caint be turned orff. They shure as heyull dang turned it off on me! Ah hope them Eskimos git them all, an thet they-all have to live in igloos fowar the reust of theyar miserable misbegotten liyuvs, ah reayully doo! No thanks to theyar disregard of fundamental principles!

p_quarles
March 30th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Umm . . .

English translation, please?

bapoumba
March 30th, 2008, 04:30 PM
*_*

wieman01
March 30th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Reminds me of "Uncle Tom's Cabin". Southern slang.

Forrest Gumpp, you need break.

FuturePilot
March 30th, 2008, 06:36 PM
:-s:-k

-grubby
March 30th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Umm . . .

English translation, please?

I was bored, so um :

I have just had my thanks taken off of me! Dang!

That was this Orange Crate Guy, and he thanked me for my post. I don't know what! I Was just tellin' it like I thought it was. But then, quicker than you could say Jeck Robinson, They was this guy from Alaska Saying "thank you" Thing! To me! Forrest Gump! I mean, for someone from Alaska to? seen his thankings? so far, I must have somehow had dun something right!. What did I do? I only said 2 words? These words were "Star Chamber".

And didn't know they plagarizing some other topic so dang serious aruond here! I know there is this here topic in the Cafe about the most important picture ever taken on the Hubba Bubba BubbleGum Space Telescope. But I didn't mean to upstage it by me talking about dang Star Chamber! I mean, whta are a few fundamental legal principles compared to such deep space stuff!

AWAL? things in moderation I say. I feel? quart? spaced owere?!

It just ain't fair! And they all have been saying that the dang thanks feature can not be turned off. They sure as hell dang turned it off on me! I hope Eskimos get them all, and that they all have to live in igloos for the rest of their miserable misbegotten lives, I really do! No thanks to their disregard of Fundamental principals!

FuturePilot
March 30th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I was bored, so um :

But how? :-k :lol:

bapoumba
March 30th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Thanks nathangrubb, I sort of guessed that too.

But.. What is the problem? Thanks taken away? They can indeed be removed by the user who gave them. Is that the question?

-grubby
March 30th, 2008, 07:02 PM
But how? :-k :lol:

I guess boredom can do great things? :lol:

popch
March 30th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I was bored, so um :

I think the text was much more useful in its original form. Thanks for the translation, all the same.

@silva jump: The answer to the Original Post is, of course, 'yes, quite, of course, unless.'

OrangeCrate
March 30th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks nathangrubb, I sort of guessed that too.

But.. What is the problem? Thanks taken away? They can indeed be removed by the user who gave them. Is that the question?

They weren't taken away by this user, so someone else removed both of mine (to both Forrest Gumpp and to the OP in that thread).

LaRoza
March 30th, 2008, 08:04 PM
They weren't taken away by this user, so someone else removed both of mine.

I am not sure of what happened here, and any complaints should have been described better.

It may possible to have thanks removed if the thread is moved somewhere where the thanks feature doesn't exist.

I haven't tried this before, so I don't know.

OrangeCrate
March 30th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I am not sure of what happened here, and any complaints should have been described better.

It may possible to have thanks removed if the thread is moved somewhere where the thanks feature doesn't exist.

That's a fair answer, and probably so.

Artificial Intelligence
March 30th, 2008, 08:07 PM

That could be the case.
Like when a post is moved to jail, the user gets a -1 bean, because post in jail is a non-bean area.

LaRoza
March 30th, 2008, 08:07 PM
That's a fair answer, and probably so.

I could try it out, make a thread, I will thank you and move it to the backyard and we'll see what happens.

hhhhhx
March 30th, 2008, 08:59 PM
OP:
could you repeat that plesase?

ubuntu-freak
March 31st, 2008, 01:44 AM
Weyull, iyuf thayut doan beat awull?

Ah hayuv jist hayad mah Thanks taken off of me! Dang!

Theah was thiyuss Orange Crate guy, an he thayanked me fowah mah post. Ah doan know whah! Ah wuss jist tellin' it lahkh ah thowt it was. But theyun, quicker then you could say Jeck Robinson, theyah wuz thiyus guy from Alaska sayin the sayim 'thank you' thiyung! To meah! For-rest Gumpp! Ah mean, foh sumwun from Alaska toh sen his'n thayanks soh fahr, ah musta sumhow ha dun summat riyat!. Wot did ah doo? Ah only sayed two woryuds! Them woryuds was "Star Chayember'

Ah din know they took palagiarizin sum uther topic so dang serious aroun' here! Ah know there is this here topic iiyun the Cafe about the most importunt picture ever taykun on the Hubba Bubba BubbleGum Spayus Telerscope. But ah din meayun to upstage iyut bah mah torkin 'bout dang Star Chayember! Ah meayun, wot is a few fundamental leagal principles compared to suyuch deep space stuyuff!

Awull thiyungs in moderation ah say. Ah feyull quart spaced owert!

Iyut jist ain't fayer! An they-all bin sayin thayat the dang Thayanks Feature caint be turned orff. They shure as heyull dang turned it off on me! Ah hope them Eskimos git them all, an thet they-all have to live in igloos fowar the reust of theyar miserable misbegotten liyuvs, ah reayully doo! No thanks to theyar disregard of fundamental principles!

Abso-friggin-lutely!

Forrest Gumpp
March 31st, 2008, 04:41 AM
@reassuringlyoffensive

Ain't this Forum just chock full of interesting little unsuspected features? An automatic de-thanker! Who would have thought?

But how come you could understand the post without difficulty? You are nearly as far away from the Mason-Dixon line as I am! Must be something to do with the inherent ability of the English language to tolerate extreme distortion without losing meaning or comprehensibility. Think on the bright side, (or should that be the Far Side?:)) this should be reassuringly encouraging to non-native English speakers that there is little likelihood that mangling the language a bit will prevent their being understood in these Forums.

Mind you nathangrubb did a pretty good translation job, as of course he should have, being closer to the line in question than either of us.:)

Seriously, though, there has been enough Bushido done. I was just trying to introduce a bit of humour into a sad situation with the post that was subsequently first doubly thanked, and then subsubsequently doubly de-thanked. That thanked post was more acerbic than humorous and may have been taken as a mod bash. I have reported it myself and asked that if it caused offense it be taken down.

Just a thought on the more constructive side, could not the vote-up/vote-down feature of Ubuntu Brainstorm be adapted here as a sort of nett 'offensiveness' gauge for posts? This could display, perhaps only to the poster (and Forum staff, of course) as some sort of a guide to what might be an unrealized general offense or irritation imbalance being inflicted on the Forums by posters. It would be automated, so would not constitute a drain on Staff' time. It need not be binding, just a guide, in an environment where misunderstanding may occur, notwithstanding the availability of emoticons and such like to point up intended humour or irony..

It could be a little unobtrusive button which a user could click up, or down. Like the 'Thanks' button!:):)

And for the record, I have nothing against Eskimos, either.

ubuntu-freak
March 31st, 2008, 10:57 AM
You flatter me sir...wrongly:)

Check out this Geordie dictionary (http://www.geordie.org.uk/), converts plain English text into Geordie dialect text (north-east England). It's just one of our many dialects. Here is the first paragraph of your post to me translated (seems only mildy Geordie to me though);

"Ain't this Forum just chock stowed of interesting little unsuspected featchas? An automatic de-thanker! Whee waad hev thowt ?"

Ye knaa what ah mean leik? Aye, yee dee.

Nathan

Forrest Gumpp
March 31st, 2008, 08:10 PM
Further to the suggestion of adaptation of the Ubuntu Brainstorm vote up/vote down feature as a user-implemented offensiveness guide, or 'imposometer', and given that CoC issues have been part of earlier discussion, I was just wondering as to whether the issue raised in this post has been recognised and/or dealt with: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4483545&postcount=7