PDA

View Full Version : Unanswered Posts: a request for YOUR help!

Rocket2DMn
March 30th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Hello all.
I want to take a minute to bring to everybody's attention the fact that, despite our best efforts, there are many posts that go unanswered on the Ubuntu Forums. It would be great if you, the average forum user, would help us respond to these forgotten posts.

The easiest way to go about this is click the link near the top right of the page that say Unanswered Posts, with the tan colored background. Then just work your magic.
(As a side note, posts more than a week old should probably be left to die quietly since the OP has most likely moved on.)

A more complex option (which I prefer) is to go to "Search this Forum -> Advanced Search", and under Search Options, select "At Most" 0 replies. Then using the CTRL button you can select multiple forums on the right side to search, and hit the "Search Now" button. This means you can search all your favorite subforums at the same time and spread a little Unanswered Posts love.

:KS:KS:KS
If you really want to be a superstar, you can request to join the Unanswered Posts Team (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPostsTeam/FAQ). Check out that link, esp. section 1.3 entitled "Can I join?" To proceed, return here to the forums and go to "User CP -> User Control Panel" and click "Group Memberships" on the left column. From there you can send a join request, which will be handled by the team leader, ajmorris (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=171134).

Thank you, and happy unanswered post hunting to you all!

ajmorris
March 30th, 2008, 07:24 AM
(As a side note, posts more than a week old should probably be left to die quietly since the OP has most likely moved on.)

hi Rocket2DMn, i would just like to point out, that some optimistic users may keep coming back in hope that their thread has been answered, even after a week, and not only this, but if you do know how to answer it, you can anyway, because answering a thread more than a week old, though it may not help the Original Poster, may help another user that has the same problem, so i encourage users to answer these kinds of posts :)

AJ

Rocket2DMn
March 30th, 2008, 07:27 AM
hi Rocket2DMn, i would just like to point out, that some optimistic users may keep coming back in hope that their thread has been answered, even after a week, and not only this, but if you do know how to answer it, you can anyway, because answering a thread more than a week old, though it may not help the Original Poster, may help another user that has the same problem, so i encourage users to answer these kinds of posts :)

AJ

Point taken, I just didn't want some overzealous users to go about necroposting on dead threads.

Users, if you DO see an older thread that you have a good solution to, go for it!

LeAstrale
March 30th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I might actually be one of the optimistic people then, because i have a wireless thread yet to be solved. But it has answers to it.

i would like to join the team, however im a little busy at the moment.

/Astral-1 (LeAstrale)

stalkingwolf
March 30th, 2008, 12:31 PM
there appears to be a problem with the Unanswered posts location. When I get to the bottom
of the first page ( it says 1 of 10) no matter how I try to get to the next page I get this,

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

SOULRiDER
March 30th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Point taken, I just didn't want some overzealous users to go about necroposting on dead threads.

Users, if you DO see an older thread that you have a good solution to, go for it!

Even if threads are a but old, answering them can help new users when searching the forums.

lswest
March 30th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I try to answer as many threads as i can :P there are just...a lot of them XD However, i also tend to work on a small group at once until we get the problem solved, or someone else comes along with (what appears to be) a solution. Anyways, just here to let you know, there are some people out there who try to answer what needs to be answered ^^

Rocket2DMn
March 30th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I try to answer as many threads as i can :P there are just...a lot of them XD However, i also tend to work on a small group at once until we get the problem solved, or someone else comes along with (what appears to be) a solution. Anyways, just here to let you know, there are some people out there who try to answer what needs to be answered ^^

Yeah there are tons of unanswered posts, that's why we need help with them. Keep up the good work!

Oldsoldier2003
April 5th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Yeah there are tons of unanswered posts, that's why we need help with them. Keep up the good work!

Bumped for the cause:

If only 10% of the community found and answered one question that has gone unresolved for over a day Imagine the number of people that would be convinced that the support here at the Ubuntu Community Forums is world class. It could make the difference in keeping a new user.

aysiu
April 5th, 2008, 01:26 AM
If 10% of the community knew the answers to the unsolved threads' questions, those threads wouldn't be unanswered.

Take a look at the unanswered posts some time--they are not easy-to-solve issues. Most of them are quite obscure problems, and most of them have been viewed upwards of 20 times.

Rocket2DMn
April 5th, 2008, 01:29 AM
If 10% of the community knew the answers to the unsolved threads' questions, those threads wouldn't be unanswered.

Take a look at the unanswered posts some time--they are not easy-to-solve issues. Most of them are quite obscure problems, and most of them have been viewed upwards of 20 times.

Yeah, unanswered posts can be tough ones, but there are still a decent number out there that are not terribly difficult. Esp. if you have special knowledge in some areas, searching unanswered posts for that topic can be very helpful to other users.
Every thread counts!

Forrest Gumpp
April 5th, 2008, 01:38 AM
there appears to be a problem with the Unanswered posts location. When I get to the bottom
of the first page ( it says 1 of 10) no matter how I try to get to the next page I get this,

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

This is occurring almost certainly because you are not logged-in when you are going through the index pages. It seems to be a feature of the Forums that many options do not display/work with full functionality unless you are logged-in.

This also happens if you are clicking on a userID and choose the 'show all posts by <userID>' option. But not necessarily every time, it seems.

I don't know enough to explain this behaviour further.

tamoneya
April 5th, 2008, 05:34 AM
I have been trying to answer as many unanswered posts as I can and have made some progress. One thing that I think would be helpful is if the it correctly displayed the number of unanswered posts so that we could tell if we are making any progress. Right now it just stays pinned at 250 and it isnt motivating at all. Does anyone know how we could possibly fix this?

Rocket2DMn
April 5th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I guess your search results can only get 250 hits, I have the same thing. However, on this Forum Feedback & Help subforum you can place a request to increase the size of searches and unanswered posts listings.